IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, Daccord said:

I bought the download because Tidal streaming was screwing up, as happens from time to time. My joke was that MQA must have a deal with 7digital to hobble download speeds. That not may be the real reason, but downloads from 7digital have been really slow for a while now.

7digital is struggling to survive. They lost Onkyo Music about the same time they got additional capital.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting this back on track. One has to wonder why the posts about Bob Stuart and Peter Craven in the last few days. 

MQA is not making headway in the market. How do you listen to MQA files five years after the splashy introduction? In my case Tidal and a few download sites. I certainly will question why the press gave it so much attention. Raising a good question about the real influence of the audio press. Should be a good way to start the new year.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, daverich4 said:

I’m not sure what’s uncivil about, after you said you weren’t aware of Mr. Quints background/qualifications, suggesting you ask him directly. I have no idea why you’re friends or even if you are. 

Daverich4, your comment was uncivil because Andy Quint’s lack of qualifications have been discussed enough that suggesting I ask him and I’m unaware of them is an unethical debate technique, repetition. I didn’t used to care about this too much until I started teaching continuing legal education (tax) In addition to continuing professional education (CPA’s). Teaching lawyers requires knowledge of debate tactics.

Andy is a friend because he is the only member of the audio press with the courage to meet me and face to face say I disagree with you. We disagree with a lot of things in high end audio. And I’m fine with that.

I took your comment as not realizing my list went from humorous (John Atkinson) to in Andy’s case rhetorical. I know the qualifications of the people on my list except for Robert Harley’s degree. As I’ve said many times consider my posts to be tests unless you are sure they are not. 

So, let’s look at the bio of David A. Rich PhD (even if you aren’t him) and ask a few questions I don’t know the answer to.  The bio says he is a member of AES High-Resolution Technical Committee. So, it is fair to ask:

Does he know the circumstances necessary in a listening room to even have the possibility to detect the difference between a high-resolution record and a CD quality recording?

Does he know the amount of ultrasonic musical energy present at a typical listening position?

Does know whether ultrasonic energy at the listening position is a good thing or a bad thing?

Finally, on January 7, 2020 HiFi+ posted “The Truth About High-Resolution Audio.” The author concluded “slightly increased smoothness of a 24 bit 96kHz recording in the middle ranges is worth having.” I disagree and cite the research behind MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). I wonder if David understands why.

17 hours ago, ARQuint said:

Archimago, I feel that your representation of TAS would be unrecognizable to most of our subscribers. We go months at a time without mentioning MQA and, while we cover the occasional tweakier accessory, at least 90% of our reviews concern bread-and-butter audio components—loudspeakers, amplifiers and other electronics, turntables, DACs, headphones, etc. We write those reviews with the complementary goals of laying out for the reader the basics of a product's design and the experience of living with it. Complemented by a substantial music section, interviews, show reports, and other long-form articles, TAS tries to entertain, inform, and provide both subjective and objective information to assist in making purchasing decisions. Audiophile Style, which has provided you with a significant platform to expound at length on your signature issue, produces the same kind of content, albeit on a smaller scale. The readers of TAS and that of AS own the same brands of audio gear and listen to the same range of music.The two publications get advertising dollars from many of the same manufacturers. It seems senseless to perpetuate conflict when we share so many of the same kind of peak experiences that make this a great hobby.

All publications—all intellectual enterprises—can improve and evolve, and I've been around TAS long enough to know that's our culture at the most basic level. Likewise, AS seems to be moving towards a more civil and inclusive sort of virtual community. We can bury the hatchet.

Andy Quint

Andy the only way the hatchet will be buried is if subjective audio journals bury it. Then take audio equivalent of the "Trail of Tears" to the Black Kettle National Grassland and learn how to measure audio equipment.  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Confused said:

This example of MQA News looks like an excellent effort at "positive spin".  Some nice pictures though, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I particularly enjoyed listening to the Hegel / KEF LS50 system that is pictured bottom right.

Although the Arcam picture rather fails to convey that Arcam were showcasing a 16 channel surround system running from a 4K Blu-ray player.  

https://www.facebook.com/ArcamUK/

They needed to do something Tidal's latest financials (2018) show UK revenue was basically flat and United State Revenue  went down about 25%. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ARQuint said:

I am almost sure that 2L is doing just fine.

The above comment reminds me of Donald Trump perpetually referring to "The failing New York Times" because the paper says things he doesn't like.

The New York Times is doing just fine, too, in case anybody had doubts. At least I'm almost sure.

Andy, if they were doing just fine the following would have been addressed. The website would be updated so the store button would say where to buy since they haven't had a store since 2018. 2L used to be a site for people who liked Norwegian music to go. Without the store it is work to find this music and this customer base should have cared for better. That 2L hasn't done these two things causes me to wonder about other things like finances. 

The New York Times is doing just fine if you think a decline in revenue from 2005 to 2019 of over 40% is good. I don't. They are still struggling with their digital revenue model.