IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

Bob Ludwig; One of the most renowned recording engineers in the world,  means nothing to you? Oh my😲. You must be one of those who listen with a calculator.

Why would knowing who "Bob Ludwig" is have anything to do with listening with a calculator?

12 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

Learn a little something about Bob Ludwig 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ludwig

How do I know that your video is the same person being referenced by Wikipedia? Its all anonymous to me ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

33 minutes ago, alfe said:

Hi Jon,

Streaming 16/44,1 is fine for me, bad luck my parents are just human.😉

If the user manual that came with *your* parents say so! 😂

I’m happy for FLAC compression regardless ... now just imagine if lossy compression were built into hard drives so they could say they stored 64Tb of only the data that you actually need! 😂

In all seriousness I’m in favor of doubling the resolution of what you’ve proven you need ... 

29 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Apple’s iTunes Music Store came into existence for one major reason: Napster.  OTH, I believe it was Apple that introduced DRM -- thanks.

As far as I’m concerned, the major labels should go away. Artists can produce and sell their own CDs or work with a recording studio. They can sell music online. 

DRM was demanded by the studios who own the music (artists should own their music). The iTunes DRM is minimal with an easy out (you can still rip to a CD of your choice)

Yes, Apple provided a way for people to access music online without stealing it. Huge win. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

DVD-A was simply a container for 24 bit audio. Once we got passed dial up it was destined to die quickly.

In my view it died because there is no way for me to play DVD-A on my computer, or store it in my library. I still buy CDs and SACDs ... I started buying SACDs when I learned how to rip these to my computer using my PS-3.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

When I finally got around to ripping DVD-A discs, was quite disappointed to see the volume maximization and peak limiting.  Just like MQA 🙂

Oh can you rip them? I guess the format RIP'd before I learned how to rip :)

8 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

??? I have been ripping DVD-As of every sample rate for over a decade. As easy as ripping a CD.

Right, I understand — last time I looked into it was pre-Blu-Ray no doubt. So ... what is a good place to buy these?

25 minutes ago, psjug said:

Ignoring the possible flaws in that analysis (and flaws of the studies drawn upon), do you really find the conclusion very compelling?  

Overall, there was a small but statistically significant ability to discriminate between standard quality audio (44.1 or 48 kHz, 16 bit) and high resolution audio (beyond standard quality).

Thats what this hobby is all about. My iPhone & earbuds are pretty good. We are looking exactly for small but meaningful differences.

My cellphone usage is unlimited as is my 1Gbs fiber to home. I’m not concerned about audio compression, heck I’m happy to have 8k or whatever movies.

17 minutes ago, psjug said:

In the analysis I see the small, not the meaningful.

That’s everyone’s own decision. I see a ton of stuff around hear that isn’t even proven, not that I’d say meaningful. I’m happy to consider anything small but proven to be meaningful to whomever thinks so.

16 minutes ago, crenca said:

I am not so sure.  I suspect meaning is not so radically subjective 😉

Radically subjective? That’s sounds political 😂 Ummm ... I break things down into physically possible & verified vs physically possible & unverified vs not physically possible & unverified ... 

The last I don’t bother with. The first I’m fine with. The second doesn’t bother me. 

C’est la vie!

13 minutes ago, psjug said:

In general, I'm not sure I have a different POV from you or not.  But regarding the meta study:, do you find it compelling?

I’m not easily compelled but I’m fine with storing as close to the recording/mixing as possible — I don’t trust other people’s filters so have an open mind at this point as to whether it’s HD per se or the absence of conversion filters 🤷🏻‍♂️

Neither do I find the so-called proof that human beings can’t experience >20kHz compelling.

8 hours ago, Paul R said:

You don’t agree that ultrasonics are handy for noise shaping? I think they are a great place to push noise into and subsequently, easily filter out. It is why DSD can and often does sound so superior to redbook. 

Going on about people being being able to hear ultrasonics or not is just a great big whale sized blue herring. 

Whether you hear them directly or hear the nonlinear effects doesn't matter to me. That's why this issue that the cochlea doesn't respond >20 kHz doesn't matter to me: obviously the system responds otherwise there would be no need for a LPF and every DAC uses an output LPF!

Interestingly take a look at the spectrum from a HDTT (high def tape transfer) at DSD256 ... you don't get the near ultrasonic bump so perhaps the benefit of e.g. DSD256 is that the noise can be pushed further out where it can be even more effectively filtered out ... 

In my own listening, the benefit of HD vs Redbook seems to significantly diminish with upsampling so yeah...

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the cochlea is highly over-rated

Totally aside from the benefit or not of having more information than 16/44.1 ... and to be clear, I am not convinced that 16/44.1 is enough but neither am I convinced that 16/44.1 isn't enough -- it seems to be a reasonable conclusion that there is a general consensus that 16/44.1 is a reasonable minimum resolution for what we call CD quality (obviously MP3 has less bits).

Its somewhat ridiculous to trade bits within the 16/44.1 range for ultrasonic bits: I mean who is suggesting that 13/88 is "better" than 16/44.1? (aside from MQA).  This really is lossy compression by any definition of the term.

At this point one is claiming that we only need 13 bits, and one can easily create a compressed "master" to "prove" that. So really "Mastered for MQA" means "even more compressed"           

Digital sleight of hand.                                                                                                  

22 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

The last analysis I did showed that around 47% of products reviewed in Stereophile were from companies that advertised in the magazine. I don't believe that proportion has changed significantly since then.

Again, I’m the last thing from a marketing person, but if I had a reviewed product, I’d want an ad on the page if for no other reason than to prevent a competitor from being there 🤷🏻‍♂️ Unless of course the 47% correlated with good reviews 😂

When you say stable “circulation” you mean subscriptions, not readers, right?

In any case there are so many backroom deals going on everywhere that you need to understand why consumers are skeptical. MQA with its proprietary “secret” closed format is a great example. I’ve learned over the years that proprietary/closed compression formats aren’t worth it — at the end of the day that’s all MQA is.

15 hours ago, lucretius said:

Now, if you were the manufacturer and you knew that the review was positive, I'd think it would be a good idea to place some advertising in that particular issue.

Of course that applies to every review so I don’t think that there’s any financial advantage for any of me review to be better than average. 

More realistic is the very natural tendency to give a good review to a “friend” or someone in the industry whom you’ve gotten to know over the years. I don’t think that’s nefarious.

19 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I could easily be mis-remembering, but I think the incident I am referring to was pre-internet, around 1985 or 1986 maybe. 

Ouch! usenet was 1980,  bitnet 1981,  smtp (email) 1982, ftp 1985 ... I'm feeling really old

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Email in some form existed as early as 1973: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc561

No doubt. Arpanet dated back to ?1969. There were different networks & protocols stitched together with RFCs. Ultimately IP won out. Ultimately URIs were layered on top. Here were are today typing or talking on our phones, laptops, who knows?

After all these decades we still have to fight back the forces of end to end closed systems and proprietary data formats. Who would think?

Julia & Gen are exciting me these days.

• 2 weeks later...