IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:
joyeux Noël!!!

Can anyone guess how many times MQA is mentioned in this speaker informercial, sorry, review?:D

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexia-v-loudspeaker

Season's greetings!

I'll guess 6 times, which on the upfront would seem ridiculous or nigh on impossible given its a loudspeaker infomercial, er...review.

How'd I do?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

22 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:

Very close! 7 times. 6.5 technically..since it is mentioned one with a typo.."MQ"...Master Quack? (Feel free to check my count!)

this paragraph is a beauty:

"Skip ahead to Peter McGrath's visit. In addition to indulging in some of Peter's wondrous recordings—Peter is not shy about extolling the role MQA remastering has played in the glorious sound of his earlier and current recording efforts—"

Laughable!

That is laughable, I intentionally chose what I thought would be an absurd amount of MQA mentions in a loudspeaker review, and lo and behold, that same number seemed both reasonable and warranted by both the writer and the editor of the trade publication.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

On the bright side for them, mQa lost less money than the previous year :~)

MQA therefore lossless in 2021?

Hmmm... "Material uncertainty related to going concern"

2021 Turnover: £657,631

Employee headcount grew from 25 to 30 (wages and salaries up 13% YOY)

Net Liabilities: (£9,079,406)

P&L account: (£36,337,891)

Ouch, in the hole pretty damn deep, and turnover is still pathetic. Another big infusion of cash is needed, get out the checkbook Reinet.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

What I do not get is that we are looking at the report of 2021.

IIf I get it right , the interim funding was ment to stay afloat throughMarch 31st.  How did they sustain the 9 remaning months in 2022 then?

Should they not be completely run out of funds by now?

Under U.K. law they are allowed to file one year late, and have been doing so all along as best I can remember, so yes they are just filing the 2021 financial statements.

As you note, their forward looking statements and comments about funding pertain not to 2022, which hasn't been filed yet and won't be for another approximately 12 months, but to the here and now of early 2023.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Maybe I am crazy but how can the SACD layer be MQA?

You aren't, it can't.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

It is my understanding that the only MQA encoded version of this album was the CD layer.

Thats correct, only the CD layer of the hybrid disc is MQA infected, your DXD file is of course the true master recording and has absolutely nothing to do with MQA.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, firedog said:

I corrected him in the comments. I'm sure I'll get a nasty response from him. He's been told before he is incorrect about MQA, but he never processes the info and reacts as if he's been wronged. 

He should really just thank you and stand corrected, however past track record certainly suggests that just won't happen.

He's also incorrect in describing this as: "when you stream it from your drive if your DAC does MQA it will unfold the original 384/24 bit DXD "master file".

Sorry MF... this and all DXD has a sample rate of 352.8kHz (not 384), and in this case the bit depth of the original DXD recording is 32-bit (not 24), and the DXD download is even offered as 32-bit (stereo).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Doubly astounding, as Andrew clearly knows that Fremer's technical claims about MQA ("a 24/384 master file") are simply incorrect. 

It isn't a matter for debate, no matter what any authority says.

Exactly, but instead of accepting the correction which would have been simple, MF moves the goalposts, ignoring the mistakes he made, and uses a call to authority to try to substantiate what he wrote.

1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

Michael has promised to bring Jim Anderson (another JA!) into the conversation. Can't we wait to hear his take on this?

Based on money, NDAs, and the fact this recording is DXD, no I don't see the point. The recording itself has nothing to do with stupid MQA and the entire title and premise of MF's piece there are fatally flawed.

The headline itself is completely ridiculous: "How Best to Hear Patricia Barber's "Clique!" This is a DXD recording, 32-bit/352.8kHz native sample rate, and it is available for download as exactly that. It's also available in essentially that same quality when listening to the SACD layer of the hybrid disc, or as a DSD download in what amounts to smaller file sizes than the DXD master requires.

No one including the NDA restricted (and money compensated) producer or recording engineer is ever going to agree with MF that the best way to hear Clique! is bullshit MQA when the actual DXD and DSD are so readily available, and superior too.

We don't need to call in the technical experts to see that MF was wrong in several different ways. His entire assertion is absurd, and his original statements are indeed factually incorrect as commented on in Tracking Angle by @firedogamong others. The deep technical assessment then linked to here in a subsequent post by @Pierre LeMonfconfirms what we already knew.

We also already knew that both MF, and ARQ have absolutely no idea whether they are right or wrong about anything regarding MQA, but they will dig their heels in and fight about it until the cows come home anyway due to their high brow attitudes and egos, and the massive misinformation campaign that the trade press has continued to dump on consumers on behalf of Master Quality Adulterated.

Great job MF, you've proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that "SOME TRACKING ANGLE READERS MIGHT BE SURPRISED". I'm sure they are surprised at the incompetence, misinformation, stubborn denials, desperate calls to authority, and subsequent attempts at click bait, by once again portraying the anti-MQA community as the bad guys in all this. Pathetic.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

42 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Michael said this:

"The DXD file sounds better than the disc's DSD layer: cleaner transients, greater transparency, etc."

He said it believing that he was hearing the full-resolution "reference" file.

That is precisely the point, he was not listening to the full-resolution reference file at all. He was listening to a lossy version of it, but he misled the Tracking Angle's readership in stating he was listening to the DXD, and that it was "the best" way to hear that recording, and purportedly besting the DSD in the areas of "cleaner transients, greater transparency, etc" whatever the hell that means. Cleaner transients is a new one for me, I'd like to see MF provide a definition or deeper description of that one.

I'm interested in hearing how the real reference (the NativeDSD file) sounds in comparison to the allegedly fake one (the MQA-CD.)

Nothing is "allegedly", we already know by kind comment from Ulrike Schwarz which is the real reference, and by examination of two different outside source's measurements which one is the lossy imposter misrepresented as DXD by Michael Fremer.

But I'd like to make the comparison myself. If I don't hear a difference (or, God forbid, prefer CD-MQA) your response will be fairly predictable. If I prefer the Native DSD DXD file, you'll say "I told you so." Which is fine.

All good and you are most certainly allowed to like or prefer what you will, in your system, in the acoustic of your own listening space. I'll be providing no arguments there at all. But your listening take cannot refute whats already been established, that being the MQA-CD is not the master, and not DXD as MF contended, just a lossy approximation of it. In that sense it simply cannot be the best way for Tracking Angle readers to experience Clique!.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

You sure that's the right number for stereo?

It would be 2x those numbers for 2 channels, however I also fully agree with this aspect:

36 minutes ago, Jud said:

On second thought, don't bother. If at some point there's a working codec popular enough to be included with music I may listen to and products I may choose to purchase, then let me know what the actual tested capabilities are. Until then, I don't think this merits my further attention.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

39 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:

Let's play a fun game and guess how many MQA mentions and praises are in this fool's "review"...:D

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-vivaldi-apex-da-processor

I think the last time we played this game my guess was a half dozen, I was only off by one, shy of course in that there were in fact 7 total gratuitous MQA mentions.

So I'll up my bid and say 7 this time.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

41 minutes ago, jriver said:

I thought it died two or three years ago.

It mostly did, though you'd never know that from the unrelenting glowing mentions in the trade press both then and now. Toss in various mainstream equipment manufacturers looking to tick another feature set box, and it's still unfortunately on life support.

43 minutes ago, jriver said:

Nice of you all to keep the memory alive.

Actually it's been TIDAL keeping that memory alive, though judging by their declining subscriber/market share numbers, very few people actually care. I wonder if Warner Music is still paying much attention?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook