IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

It's called an ad hominem attack. Attack the messenger, so you don't have to confront the message. Deflection. Cancelling.

So MQA is part of the 'Cancel' culture wars....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

53 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

BS made a wine analogy a few pages ago which got me thinking what the true wine analogy would be if we were to put it in MQA terms-

- Meridian has developed a chemical treatment which is claimed to improve the storage and transportation of wine - something about deblurring the taste caused by the storage and transport process, but no info is released about the chemical they use or the effects it has. Despite no one in the world ever complaining of their wine being blurry of having any issues with storage or transport.

- To make this happen, 1% of this chemical will be added per volume of wine, costs to be transferred to consumers. 

- In order to use this process, vineyards must agree to not sell the unadulterated product - better to keep these Crown Jewels so that they can be sold at higher prices to wealthier customers a few years later. 

- Surely, some consumers love the taste of this adulterated product and wonder why ANYONE would ever want to drink that old style wine that only those snobby "purists" want to drink. But many purists think it tastes like crap and would like to have a choice.

- Since this adulteration is good for everyone (tastes better, easier to transport), the push is on for ALL vineyards in the world to use this process. Nevermind that a third party has wiggled their way in to the process so that they get paid each time you drink wine. Surely this a GOOD THING!!!  What could go wrong? How dare you seek to drink "real" wine - This is the future, man, get on board.

- Of course you could have always added whatever you wanted to your wine, go for it if you want. There are already dozens of wine deblurring chemicals out there to try for free. But maybe I don't want to add anything - oops it's already there, you have no choice but to drink the wine (kool aid) that Meridian says you should drink.

I'm sure I missed lots of things but it got me thinking - What other product would society allow to have adulterated, without their control, while greatly limiting their choice while offering no benefit to the consumer that they could not achieve for themselves, while enriching the company that foisted this scheme on us?

It's unimaginable (oops, the last administration happened so maybe not so much anymore) that such a scheme would ever be accepted.

Sorry if this makes no sense - it's been in my head lately...

Actually to me it is more like the companies who are trying to develop a quick aging process for whiskey, without taking into account all the other chemical reactions that occur. Some of them take years to happen. As a biochemist, that worked in the distilling industry, the quick age whiskeys, miss the subtle flavors that occur from other reactions.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I think BS is sore, his original idea for DVD-A audio, got shot down and this is his next chance at it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

5 minutes ago, Arg said:

Agreed. But doesn’t this back up what Amir was saying about testing MQA with inappropriate signal and misinterpreting the results? 

No. As GS said, does that mean electronic music would be an inappropriate signal? They are trying to have it both ways and they can't. I mean Amir uses test signals when he tests DACs, some with mQa, so why is it different for him? It is not and that is the point.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

49 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

If your system has to change its parameters for different types of music, that means that it is incapable of reproducing a sound wave accurately.

EXACTLY!!!

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

If Chris can handle a few mQa mavens at a talk, Amir is not a big deal.

I just wish mQa would just go away.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

56 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Apple and Spotify wont touch MQA with a 10-foot barge pole.  That makes it dead in the water.  Why do you think Apple is running music through an optional Dolby Atmost process? Where do you think they got the idea to do that, restricted their own hardware?

This leaves MQA to a small number of people who care about it. Once Roon and Deezer integrate, and the Qobuz catalog expands sufficiently, TIDAL will be even more marginalised. 

A DBT is easy to rig as well. I'll bet I could pass a CD-quality-vs-high-res test easily. I'd just make the CD quality files by downsampling the high-res using the worst encoder settings. The counter is, if I want someone to fail a DBT, I just put them under enough stress or have enough unfamiliarity in the test that they wont pass. This is why I consider 90% of DBT discussion on forums to just be argument masturbation by people who don't know any better, and not anything to do with actual science.

DBT tests should be setup with one or two people picking the tracks but the people playing the tracks should not which is which, they should be separated, just like they do for drug DBT's.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll put it right next to the other endorsements. There's no their there. 

Or this :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Seriously, his statement is only interesting because of who he is, not because of what he has said. It offers zero specifics, uses phrases like "we’ve been able to verify almost all of MQA’s claims," "much less stressful for extended listening," and "I’ve been listening to MQA-encoded music for over 3 years, and i’m very enthusiastic."

Think about that. If I put any number of old guard press credentials on those statements, we would all laugh. There's nothing other than, "just trust me."

Verifying claims in the patent is one thing, yes it's lossy as described in the patent. Yes, it makes 24/384 file smaller by throwing away information. How hard is that to verify?

Without any specifics, I'll take it for what it is. I respect George's work, but the statements in his comment are pretty empty. 

I know - I was making joke.

I read through the thread and thought - wow - lossless in the analog domain? It is like putting an MP3 into a FLAC container - does that means it is lossless in the analog domain? That is a strawman argument.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yeah, I caught that, but maybe didn't seem like it :~)

Sorry - I just can't take mQa supporters very serious any more. All the marketing speak that gets in the way of actual measurements and talk of those.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 minutes ago, Confused said:

I know all about the Shannon triangle, you're not fooling me ....

image.png.a6558ae12a957b11b8dc25ba0655a71f.png

I flew into Shannon, when I went on a bus tour of Ireland. That was during the Hoof and Mouth disease scare in the UK, We had to step in several trays of  bleach and other chemicals to clean our shoes. I will never forget that.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 minutes ago, svart-hvitt said:

Or simply Amir Science Review.

Another inconsistency over there, which many ASR members seem to ignore:

Amir attacks @GoldenOne and others he disagrees with for being anonymous. Yet, academic peer reviews are (often) anonymous. So he criticises an institution (anonymity in exchange of ideas and know-how) which is a cornerstone of the word «review» which Amir used to build the ASR brand.

Amir's version of science :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590