IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, esldude said:

Another one of those loopholes in regard to authentication is what if an artist heard the result and said, "I don't like what MQA does, no approval from me". 

When artists signed away ownership of their masters to the label, or otherwise licensed the masters to the label, the artist's "approval" of a release is implicit.

mQa is dead!

12 hours ago, botrytis said:

I have an original copy of a video game (2000), for a company that is still around. The game is still played and still supported by the company. I bought a copy that was not stolen as I bought it at a retail shop, I still cannot use it and they won't support it since it has the license key setup that was smaller than the newer versions of the game. I can't install the game, play it, etc. i basically had to throw it away.

It can happen at any time. The company can just cut you off on their whim.

I've had a similar experience with an EA video game purchased in the 80's. The good thing is I've never purchased a video game since.

mQa is dead!

53 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

This forum is like the original Stereophile ( and TAS ). It is run by people with a love of music. J Gordon Holt and Harry Pearson wanted to share their love of music and the equipment that produced it.  They were perhaps not the best businessmen.

Then came Archibald and Atkinson.  They turned Stereophile into a successful and influential business.  The key word is business.  The decisions made at Stereophile are business decisions.

Does the magazine still exist?  I went to their website and clicked on Subscribe>Print Magazine and Subscribe>Digital Magazine and I get Server Not Found.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Consumer Reports takes no advertising, but it's much more of a general interest publication that has a subscription and donor base an audio magazine couldn't hope to duplicate.

That's true.  But Stereophile might greatly increase their subscription base, if they stopped targeting the 1%.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Yes, a magazine like Stereophile reviews a lot of products that its typical reader will not be able to afford. See my essay at

https://www.stereophile.com/content/conspicuous-consumption

in which I both offer an answer to the question "Why does a magazine read by regular middle-class people devote space to products that might as well be made from unobtainium?" and examine why the high-end audio industry is undergoing an upward price spiral.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Thanks for the article.  The article states that "many people who will never be able to buy these products still want to read about them."  That seems to be the conventional wisdom. However, It's definitely not true for me.  I'm wondering if there are any studies to support it.  As far as car mags go, I may read the car mags that deal with the same stuff I'll deal with in real life -- seems to me only young kids stare at unobtanium.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Any technology or product worth its salt will only get stronger once subjected to objective critical examination. 

The people who who love MQA should be demanding the old guard put it through its paces. 

What say you @ARQuint?

It may be a moot point.  By the time the "old guard" gets on this, MQA will be long dead.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

As explained in the essay of mine that I linked to, it is what readers, who vote with the wallets, want.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Perhaps the readers subcribe to the mag in spite of the unobtainium reviews (i.e. for the other material in the mag)? Have you asked them?

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

The testing equipment I have access to is very expensive. A QuantAsylum QA401 is $450.

Where's the sarcasm font?

I'm giving reviewers until next year to get one or I'm viewing them as third class citizens in the audio world.

Surely, Stereophile can afford one of those.

Anyone thinking about spending more than $30k should probably get one too.

Not a bad idea.

mQa is dead!