IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Hearing the truth isn't always a pleasant thing, even for audiophiles..

I believe this could really be done.

Beside that if other labels join Warner and are also shareholders of MQA, I'd ask a good lawyer if something like that can't be called a collusion

People don't seem to want to discuss anything any more. What they want is everyone to agree with them and move on. Audiophiles, etc. as it really doesn't matter.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I do indeed ... you see, there's a sweet spot - on either side of getting it spot on, it doesn't sound correct - there's a peculiarity to what you hear, "something is not quite right" - using an ancient, buried in the sands of time, technique 😜 you narrow in to the right numbers to use - the simplistic approach is to listen, but one can also analyse what's happening in the waveform. What you get with a "close enough" version is a sense that there's nothing in the music that "sounds wrong" - and that's good enough for me 🙂.

The restoration is possible, because the 'right' parameters are used - work out by some means what the mastering did as far as parameters are concerned, in some compression exercise,  and out pops a decent waveform.

What you get with a good decompression is excellent transient bite; subjectively satisfying dynamics, and treble completely clean - it's worth doing, 🙂.

Up in Smoke (1978) - YouTube

Some one has been imbibing again 🤣

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Enlighten me. What specifically has MQA completely eliminated, that can never be recovered - IOW, that which when you listen to an MQA is obviously missing, and makes it much less of a listening experience?

It has THROWN AWAY parts of the file, period. How can you restore them if they are gone?

MQA-Block-Diagram.png?8802298321645544022

Remember this block diagram? This is from the MQA patent. Notice the 'Lossy' parts? That means they are ignored and thrown away? Are you Dr. Frankenstein? Because that is what you are asking....

Also the filters used in this process add noise to the file (both above the file max 20 KHz for a 44KHz file as well as those ultrasonics adding noise to audible range of the file. and there is some DSP aspect to it. I am sure others, in this thread, can explain it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The real point is whether one can reverse MQA doctoring, without using MQA endorsed methods - I say it can; others throw up their hands in horror, and declare it's as bad as pulling half the spark plugs leads off a V8 engine, having MQA in the mix - always satisfying to exaggerate something to the hilt, to try and make a point, 😉.

Have you ever run a V8 engine w/o half the sparkplugs? You can't do it. The reason being is that those cylinder will have no compression and will cause the engine to fail. That is why the first 8-4-2 engines failed  from GM. They didn't have the complex computer control to do it.

The way GM is doing it is not like you describe it, that is a very simpleton way. They are actually hutting off the fuel and spark to those cylinders as well as lowering valve lift. It is a very complicated process.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I mentioned it because I viewed a YT clip yesterday, which talked about that Cadillac engine - customers complained because the 6 cylinder variant was very rough. And most of the customers got the dealer to snip the cable which activated the system ... ah, relief!

Right, you glean all your knowledge in 30 second bytes of information, I get it.

The new ones are not rough. Most of the V8 GM cars use it now and people don't even know it is there. That is why they can get 25 MPG in a new Corvette.

That was a 90's engine - move forward but, you are using old data and thinking you are on top of things. You are still behind the times.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

What I'm talking about, is data that is audibly meaningful, that existed in the pre-MQA version, and which is now completely extinct after MQA processing - say, the hiss of the reel to reel analogue tape used to make the recording, down about 70dB, is very important - and we can't afford give up the bits that are used to give us 96dB range, possibly distorting that hiss?

There is data this is removed from MQA, but we do not know what it is since it is a Patented process. They do not have to tell you what they remove.

That is the issue - PERIOD.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

- Stephen Hawking

We just have to remember this.....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, Rexp said:

Well undecoded MQA sure sounds crap to me (via a Chromecast). Means I have to remove all favourited albums from Tidal that are now MQA only. 

Sorry about that.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Just like politics!  I guess that makes MQA more of a political issue than a technical improvement idea.  🤪

Exactly.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Why would I want to capture anything that is a bastardization of the original?

Not me, MQA can shove it right up their......... 'NUFF SAID!

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

Although sometimes the MAQ version of an album sounds better than the currently available redbook release, this seems to be because MQA uses e.g. an earlier redbook version (possibly the original release) as the basis for the MQA conversion. And sometimes there's no readily discernable audible difference between redbook and MQA, probably because the master is the same.

Now here's an MQA album that sounds notably worse than the redbook version: Steely Dan, Gaucho. Both redbook and MQA versions are available on Tidal. The difference is night and day in my system. After playing the redbook version, the MQA version is almost unlistenable. It appears MQA used the 24/96 version which has about half the dynamic range of the 16/44.1 version. :(

I have a Japanese SACD version which sounds worse than the original CD version I have, basically it is the same way.

It really depends on the master used.

Although most of the music I have heard in MQA format has been worse than the original I have heard (more compressed, etc.).

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 4 weeks later...

12-13 bits from 16 bits is a lot of information. MQA is a container that cannot be efficiently compressed under FLAC (Like using *.RAR to compress *.Zip files together. There is no compression ratio. It is pretty much 1 bit of RAR = 1 bit of zip in the the RAR file. 

So, what it might mean is that, like mp3 files, minor harmonics are thrown out. Unless MQA lowers the max frequency of the file, say from 20K to 16KHz. Either way it is information that if you are listening to a regular cd, that data is there.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590