IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Shadders said:

Think about it, MQA claims lossless, yet offers less than 16bit or less than 24bit presentations. How can this be if it is lossless. So it has to be lossy, contrary to the MQA claims.

MQA does not claim to be lossless. When questioned about it, Bob Stuart dances around and tries to deflect the question by offering an "alternative meaning" for the word.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/A-Comprehensive-Q-A-With-MQA-s-Bob-Stuart/

(scroll down and search for "LOSSLESSNESS")

• 3 years later...
On 7/22/2021 at 11:19 AM, KeenObserver said:

How successful has Tidal been in promoting MQA?

Does Tidal have any market share?

Tidal hasn't released subscriber numbers in recent years, but it probably has less than 1% market share of streaming music, and Qobuz is even much smaller than Tidal. If you look at charts of market share, Tidal and Qobuz are usually not listed, and lumped into the "Others" category. As a point of reference, in 2019 Roon said they had 100K subscribers (equivalent of 2 football stadiums). In summary, audiophiles make up a very, very small portion of total market share.

https://www.midiaresearch.com/blog/global-music-subscriber-market-shares-q1-2021

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Archimago said:

Do you know if the reports typically itemize income sources like for example TIDAL streaming side, or hardware licensing for the ESS chips that incorporate mQa filtering?

There is little detail. After all, these are financial statements for the government, not like an annual report of a publicly traded company for shareholders and investors.

You can find filings for MQA Ltd. here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09123512/filing-history

Here is their filing for the year ending 2019: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09123512/filing-history/MzI4NzY4NTAzMmFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

You can look up various well known UK audio companies (Naim Audio, Linn Products, Harbeth Audio, etc). For someone like me in the tech industry, their financials are shockingly tiny.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, loop7 said:

So I was under the impression TIDAL would have archived Redbook versions but I'm guessing I was incorrect.

TIDAL doesn't own the music. They operate under license agreement with the record label. It's doubtful that TIDAL is allowed to "archive" a copy of anything.

13 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Tidal Music is in trouble because they can't grow their subcribers numbers as fast as the streaming market is expanding.

I think Tidal is safe for the near term. Tidal is the pet project of Block CEO billionaire Jack Dorsey, who pushed through the acquisition. Dorsey has been vague about what he wants to do with Tidal, but he bought it to gain entry into the music industry and it is more than about Tidal's streaming business.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I even know people that pay for YouTube... Thats strange to me. I don't understand why anyone would do that when there are much better offerings out there for streaming music if a person is willing to pay for it.

I've had a YouTube Premium family subscription for many years (originally called YouTube Red). YouTube without ads is great, and YouTube itself is a valuable source of concert recordings that are hard to find anywhere else. I don't use YouTube for streaming music and you can't consider it to be paying for a separate service because YouTube Music and YouTube Premium are combined in the same subscription.

15 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@RichardSF I kindly suggest using AdBlock instead of paying for Youtube and spending the saved money on AS subscription..

Actually I've already been using AdBlock for many years. It didn't used to block YouTube ads and I guess I never noticed when they added the feature because of my YouTube subscription. I also give a regular contribution to AdBlock and if you use it I encourage you to do it too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, Skirmash said:

Would Tidal themselves consider purchasing it? They have sunk significant effort into making MQA a point of difference!

Tidal have skin in the game and I think it's a definite possibility. It wouldn't be Tidal itself purchasing MQA, but Tidal's owner Block Inc. Block (Square) paid $300M for Tidal and they can easily purchase MQA.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:00 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Somebody should about Tidal's Q1 2023 revenue.

Why haven't they filed their 2021 reports with Companies House.

Tidal was acquired by Block Inc in April 2021 for 233M USD. Block have not reported separate financial numbers for Tidal (they are not obligated to), but you can find comments about Tidal in Block's quarterly and annual reports: https://investors.block.xyz/financials

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 10:46 PM, Currawong said:

Are they watermarked though? Last I checked, many albums were messed up this way regardless.

How long ago did you last check? In my experience, UMG stopped watermarking albums on streaming services several years ago, right around when this report appeared (dated April 2020):

https://www.mattmontag.com/music/an-update-on-umg-watermarks

At the time, I subscribed to multiple streaming services and the same albums were ruined by watermarking on all of them except Qobuz. After 2020 I haven't encountered the distinctive distortion that was easily audible in UMG watermarking.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When I got to the part about Mike Jbara’s “excellent people skills” my eyes were like 😳

I don't doubt that he does have excellent people skills. Getting to executive level at Warner Music (and in general for the music industry) is all about ability to schmooze, make connections, and close deals.