IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

10 hours ago, hurka said:

X10Sba Mobo arrived,i want to feed with some lt3045-lt1963-lt1084`s-sps 500 in the first time.(later maybe add sotm card ,clock,linear power-transformers,rectifiers ….)if the sound promising.

This is a great mobo . I use it since 6 month and love it in term of sq it is very quiet. My local audio friends here have all converted to this mobo !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 1/4/2018 at 9:40 AM, beautiful music said:

Did you listen to your tX-USBUltra with LPS-1 or not yet?

Did you face a problem with those things?

Oops error !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

Jean-michel, yes your AG cable test will be interesting. What devices are you using for the test?

I will use it to power either my SOTM dxUSBhd or txUSB ultra .

You will need to be a little patient for result ,since i will be on holiday and report results around mid august .

12 hours ago, Blake said:

Ok, my Ghent Gotham is burned in so I thought I would post my thoughts, comparing the Gotham to my Ghent Canare 4S6 star quad (not JSSG):

There is a rather evident increase in clarity/transparency, which allows more subtle musical elements to be more distinct and audible and the sound stage to be more distinct.  For example, the softer bell or chime sound in this song that is set back in the sound stage is more apparent/easily discernable:

That part is great as I am constantly seeking to increase clarity.

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing some glare or hardness to the treble.  To be fair to the Gotham, I have extreme sensitivity to treble frequencies. For example some headphones (HE-400) or vacuum tube models (12au7 clear tops) have consistently given me an ear ache after only a couple of songs, so it is my unique hearing that is the culprit.  Again, using the above song as an example, the repeating "high-hat" cymbal sound is uncomfortable to listen to and that is the glare I am speaking of.  With my Canare in the system, that is not the case.  The high-hat is bright, but not uncomfortably hard. However, the Canare has less clarity.

I know this song is not the ultimate test material and not the finest in fidelity, but I am using it because it gives an example of both the positive and negative aspects (just my subjective opinion) to the Gotham.  These attributes were evident to me as I ran through my dozens of test tracks.

Now, taken in context, I am perhaps the lone dissenter on this cable and others love it, so it is just me and my unique characteristics.  The Gotham is my first JSSG cable, so now my question is, is the glare/hardness a result of the metallurgy of the Gotham or JSSG?  I am thinking it must be the Gotham and not JSSG, so I will try a different JSSG DC cable.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, that would be terrific.  I do have a custom Revelation Audio Labs Parable CryoSilver Reference DC cable with additional silver that I would be willing to have someone JSSG to give it another shot.  Does anyone know a person or company who does JSSG treatment at a reasonable cost?

Where in your system are you using the Gotham or canare DC cable ? 

I have both canare 4s6 jssg360 and the Gotham in my system. I am using them between a lps 1.2 and a dx USBhd (sotm). 

The Gotham did give a lushier sound , it is more musical than the canare which was somewhat brighter. 

JSSG 360 is extremely easy to do , you should try by yourself as there is detailed explanation in the previous pages of this thread

JSSG 360 is apparently known by some cable company. 

I exchanged this tweak with an audiophile friend     

He did checked his Van Den Hull analog interconnect and he told me they were using JSSG 360. 

20 hours ago, BigGuy said:

MuMetal being an alloy of Nickel and Iron is a conductor, albeit not a great one...not an insulator.  Since I could not find Conductivities in the same units, the Resistivities of Cu and MuMetal are as follows for comparison:

Cu = 1.724 micro ohm - cm

MuM = 47.0 micro ohm - cm

Fowler reported that the best construction for durability of the construction was to keep an air gap between the MuM foil and the Cu braid beneath.  Not sure how much affect a small(?) air gap would have as a dielectric/insulator?!  Since I cannot replicate the machine construction Fowler used, I am planning on putting a loosely spaced spiral of 1/4" wide copper foil tape with conductive adhesive below the MuM foil  to simulate the air gap.  Then I plan to put on an outer copper braid directly over the MuM. 

I was not planning on using the two braids in a JSSG360 configuration but did think about attaching an insulated wire head-to-tail, i.e., original JSSG.

IF still bendable at this point, I was planning on adding a braided outer sheath for aesthetics.

image.png.a82322bf7d480ab3c688173697e10ccd.png

Got it.  Thanks.

Have you found a source for thin mumetal shield ?

I have been using 0.1mm film but this is very thick and not very practical as it make the cable too stiff 

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Hi @lmitche,

Where did you buy the mu metal braided shield from and do you have the specs?

I found this one https://hollandshielding.com/Flexible-EMI-shielding-tube.

It shows also the shielding performance of E-field and H-field.

Also found this one but is not as effectieve in low fields, https://cdn.techflex.com/assets/pdfs/specification-sheets/fsn.pdf.

Ś

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Mumetal is a blend of nickel and iron  and I really do not understand what is mucopper described by the holland shielding company. 

I think the copper shield advertised are effective for RFI interférences for EMI that is another story as you have to use a mumetal foil which is usually quite expensive. 

15 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I’ve been thinking through the outcomes of this post for the past two days.  Here’s my takeaways and resulting questions.

1.       The OS drive has played a significant impact in his tests.  Mac mini with Mac OS on SD card, Mac mini with Windows OS on NVMe SSD, drive of the Zenith SE, TLS Linux OS on RAM, NUC with TLS OS on eMMC.  Of all these options the NUC with TLS Linux OS on the eMMC drive that sounded the best to Roy.  My results with the Optane also blend well with these findings.

2.       The Celeron processor on that NUC could not upsample DSD, but if there is a similar board with i7 proc this could be possible.  I suspect an i5 or i7 will still require a fan.

3.       I suspect this is early in Roy’s testing, but this board could be modified by SOtM to utilize their sCLK-EX.  This would also allow the use of a REF10 for the board.

4.       The bridge connection with endpoint does bring us back full circle.  Many of us have or still do this.  Question is what the NUC brings to the table over another endpoint.

5.       Roy found little difference in the upstream source, comparing his Mac mini with the Zenith SE, especially with the modified clock switch in between it and the endpoint.  I my own listening experiments with Rajiv we both could hear a difference when the server was a noisy PC vs a customized sCLK, low power PC.  The difference was very subtle.  Roy’s comparison with a $7k Zenith PC reduces that device’s value.

6.       The ethernet and modified clock switch provides isolation, or filtering from upstream noise.  As Roy mentions, this has been known for some time.

7.       Switch versions with better clocks and power sources are undergoing rapid changes with the boutique audio companies.

@romaz why use the NUC as an endpoint when the sMS-200ultra or the ultraRendu provide the same functionality?  Was it because there wasn’t one of those devices to compare against the NUC?  Are the hard drives on those devices noisier than the eMMC on the NUC?  The sMS and uR can be powered by an LPS-1.2 or SR7/4 with less power.

I’d like to know how the TLS Linux OS compares to Roon ROCK when Roon is upsampling.  Likewise with HQPlayer.  Finally, both streaming to an endpoint.

1. On my Dual PC set up , on the renderer part i am running the Linux Roon OS on an SLC CF card with excellent SQ results significantly better than a SSD . I have a SOTM modified CF sata adapter  ( clock , regulators , capacity ) that i will receive in a few days and see if it brings better results .

@romaz " why use the NUC as an endpoint when the sMS-200ultra  "  - My experience between single PC and DUAL PC is very clear  , i always get better SQ with DUAL PC ( super micro board ) , i also found that the super micro board ( with sCLK clock board ) was superior to the SMS-200 ultra that i tried in my system .

By the way the sMS 200 ultra is using an SD card to host the os .

9 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The AA Cable Shield is made by the company that manufactures MuMetal.  The shield is made from Co-NETIC, which I believe uses the same alloys as MuMetal, but you may want to double check before buying.  The WBS-250 is $11.35/ft. and the WBS-375 is $12.60/ft.

Thank . The co-Netic is apparently  a proprietary alloy where mumetal is also an other proprietary alloy but more common source .

Where have you tried this Co-netic shield ? Which construction do you use  ( connected or not ? ,JSSG ? ....) ? Which SQ benefit did you get ?

Here in France there is a company HiFicable which is applying a double layer of mumetal very thin plasticized film to all his top of the line cable . The SQ benefit is usually a darker background .

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

I said earlier that I would come back with an impression of the LifePO4 battery powered 2A LT3045 board powering the GI Spdif output of my BluWave USB to Spdif board (into Brooklyn DAC) instead of Gophert csp-3205II>MS-HPULN (3A LT3045). BluWave USB input/board power is supplied by Balanced AC-AC>Sigma 11 (S12)>MS-HPULN>LT3045>ISO Regen>USPCB.

I got it yesturday, so here it is installed in my setup.

BA3A050D-3FB4-4CF3-9A84-B0F6E76A3C45.thumb.jpeg.92ad2671485d04f1764129cf95515cd8.jpeg67011DC4-874E-463B-B23D-17181B63304B.thumb.jpeg.5392929653e5b8eeffbe81a95ff5c6aa.jpeg

6EC163A9-4FFA-4892-978D-D8873F48A93F.thumb.jpeg.50c3559553978b6e9dd46214b27022ec.jpeg

Definately a change for the better! The music is more in a ”right here with me” kind of way. Better resolution. Better low volume dynamics. More natural feel to it all.

The 5v GI output of the BluWave board is pulling an extremely small amount of current so I will be able to power it for a very long time before it needs a recharge, so it will still be very conveniant.

It looks like the isolation right before my Brooklyn DAC have improved and also that I have a MS-HPULN that I can use elsewhere! ?

I might buy two more of these boards quite soon. I gave it a go powering the ChromeCast Audio on my kitchen setup (Marshall Stockwell) and in my bathroom setup (Audio Pro T3) with great results as well! 

Could you provide a link on where to buy those boards LT 3045 powered with lifepo4 battery. 

Thank’s

9 hours ago, Cornan said:

Here is the board (includes 18650 Li-ion batteries) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273135946356

Here is the LiFePO4 batteries in 18650 size https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253459672096

The board have a balanced charger that can handle LiFePO4s, so they can be charged while providing output power. The board can also be used without batteries, ie directly with a DC supply if the batteries are removed.

Thank's for this info. I am ordering one right away. 

I will be using it to power a to link fmc 220. 

Contrary to several other feedback  you can achieve very good results with optical bridge as long as you apply the recipee used for other devices : good psu , good clock , good regulator and good capacitors . Mine were modified by SOTM. 

5 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Does a pair of TP-LINK MC220L require one 25MHz clock on the Tx side plus another 25MHz one on the Rx side? If so, we could have a smoking deal when we get two of them

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/connor-winfield/OH4610LF-025.0M/CW899-ND/5641634

Those A123 batteries cost about 4 RMB (about $0.6) a piece in China but they might or might not be genuine imitation

https://pro18650.taobao.com

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=551650873526

It would be fantastic if someone were able to make another version with two slots for 26650 and we could use a pair of A123 ANR26650 instead

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=559189013755

http://a123batteries.com/anr26650-lithium-ion-cylindrical-cell-anr26650m1-b/

It does use only one clock for each tp link , I have been using a sCLKex SOTM clock board which is very convenient. 

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

You´re welcome! ?

It will probably be really great powerig your TP-Link FMC 220. Back at the time when I was using FMCs battery power was the best option for the FMC closest to the audio device. This board is vastly better than the TP-Link Vivid, KingRex uPower and chinease Li-ion battery packs that I used at the time. I´m pretty sure that fiber optical is a really great choise if everything optimized. In my case I left the FMCs when I heard how great the TP-Link wireless adapter into Aqvox switch-8 sounded like. I´m sure you have erased all the draw-backs of FMCs with all your mods. FMCs should really be the better option to wifi and copper ethernet.

Nowadays I am using a powerbank to power two fmc , I know that is not the ideal power scheme for these as those powerbank have noisy internal regulators and there is not a very good electrical separation between the two outlet. 

I am curious of the improvement brought by this nice battery LT 3045 board. 

A very nice finding Cornan .

7 hours ago, Cornan said:

I will be interested how it turns out powerig FMCs as well. The kudos for the finding really goes to @seeteeyou who orginally posted the link of this board here on this thread. Otherwise I would´t have known about it in the first place. I just found out that it was possible to use LiFePO4s which was a major game changer for me! :) 

I will post the outcome once I get it and thank’s @seeteeyou for this and all the very goood input on this thread. 

43 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

maybe so, but even so, lemitche and gang's ears  DO sing praise of the "double-shielding" concept and there has to be some reason that my ears have preferred enet to USB over all these years....if not poor shielding, then what?  Even the usb toys are designed to minimize USB jitter.  Is it your belief that this dual shielding does nothing?  I personally believe that a dac with good isolation and a double shielded cable may be the key to leveling the field between enet and usb that i have been looking for, for nearly 7 years..

May be i was not clear in my comments . this is what has written the person in audio mart for which you have provided the link .

So it seems all the Hyperblovating on CA about this JSSG or JSSG360 is a silly waist of time. :lol: :lol: :lol: 

I knew it! :mrgreen: 

What a bunch of BS tail chasing. Now that is settled - time to focus on real improvements that work!

Yes of course i do believe in this double shielding scheme JSSG360 and my ears tell me it is a very good thing and i have a lush usb , two cat supra 8 and three dc cable modified like that with excellent results .

But in conclusion we seem to agree !

By the way the ocx10 I have is a modded one with Evox capacitor. 

One last comment , good recording become much better and bad recordings stays bad. The gap between both become bigger and i think this last barrier on musicality will trigger a harder search for better records instead of better equipment ? hopefully if I can be cured ....

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Very glad you heard the effect a good reference clock can have!

BTW - to add to the results of the Austin Clock Meet, that @limniscate and @auricgoldfinger already described. We also had access to a vanilla OCX-10 with sPS-500 PSU. The 2 key takeaways for me were:

1. It is possible to get very, very close - though not quite equal - to the SQ of the Mutec Ref 10 with the OCX-10. It requires:
    • the Evox caps and the eABS-200 RF/EMI paper, and
    • an SR-7 PSU
  2. There is a big SQ jump going from the vanilla OCX-10 to:
    • the Evox caps and the eABS-200 RF/EMI paper, and
    • stepping up from sPS-500 to the JS-2 to the SR-7. Each PSU step is significant, and not subtle.

For this reason, I think SOtM would be well advised to ship the OCX-10 standard with the Evox caps and eABS-200 paper. The experience with the SR-7 underscores the advantage of having a device that allows external PSUs, but of course the aggregate cost of the OCX-10 with an SR-7 rail is then quite high.

Does you or anyone has tried powering the OCX-10 with an LPS 1.2 as in my experience the LPS1.2 is significantly better than the SPS-500 .

The person who loaned me the ocx10 also reported that he has a friend who has a mutec ref clock in his system and has achieved significant sq increase by disconnecting the internal psu of the mutec and powering it by an sps-500 ...probably the impact of outside psu which is quite often a good thing as it removes vibrations and electrical noise from sensitive components .

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

The person who loaned me the ocx10 also reported that he has a friend who has a mutec ref clock in his system and has achieved significant sq increase by disconnecting the internal psu of the mutec and powering it by an sps-500 ...probably the impact of outside psu which is quite often a good thing as it removes vibrations and electrical noise from sensitive components .

I wish I had the chops to attempt a mod like this! I'm surprised that he heard an improvement even with an sPS-500. If so, imagine the possibilities with better PSUs!

Has this "friend of a friend" posted his experience anywhere? Not that I am likely to try this any time soon, but I'd like to know what's involved.

To my knowledge he has not posted that anywhere but i will see if i can try to get some useful info  .

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Another Gotham JSSG360 successful application.

I have been curious about how much benefit Gotham JSSG360 cable could help connecting external power to SOtM sCLK-EX board inside a PC where the environment is quite noisy.  Initially, I have replaced all my DC power cable to Gotham JSSG360 with very good result, but didn't have time to replace the this cable inside my PC until tonight.  The result is surprisingly good, which gave me enough motivation to do the same for my txUSBUltra soon.

Here are couple pictures showing the cable.

Stock cable:

20181024_180450.thumb.jpg.2def9a6237aee6e7cf6b6302a0c49dac.jpg

New Gotham JSSG360 cable:

20181024_190704.thumb.jpg.6babaea00db698c6e5ac22e452a4e428.jpg

Hi Kevin ,

Congratulations for this modification, I am in a similar situation as I have also an sCLKex board in my dual pc set up.

How you will qualify this change in term of sq. 

Is it significant ?

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I have been using the tX-USBexp out to the tX-USBultra, both clocked by the sCLK-EX.  I am removing the tX-USBexp and tX-USBultra because the NUC alone with Audiolinux loaded into RAM is better sounding.  My sCLK-EX is using the Mutec REF10 as 10MHz master clock.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Fascinating findings!

Well, I guess I will try my setup without the tX now and see how that sounds. That should also answer @FredM's question.

Wow ... I am impressed by these results ...removing both tX-USBexp and  tX-USBultra and get better SQ !

Myself i am in a dual PC  set-up ( Super Micro X10 SBA ) all that with tX-USBexp and  tX-USBultra , everything clocked by sCLK ex but no Ref 10 and very good psu ( Sean Jacobs and LPS 1.2 )

I am using Roon server and bridge in linux fedora 27.

I have always found the dual PC set-up to be superior to sms 200 ultra as endpoint and of course to single pc set-up  from a SQ perspective . It seems that dual - pc  is now the direction taken by several on this thread . 

What baffles me is that this small NUC wit RAM audiolinux  is so good that tx-USBultra degrades the SQ . It is the first time i read that tx-USBultra sees to degrade the SQ . Usually USB output of PC Mobo is so bad and noisy that it does require tX-USBexp and  tX-USBultra to get good SQ .

Congratulations for this finding .

I am curious to heard further experiment from Johnseye and the trial from Rajiv .

This hobby is fun and exciting