IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, Energy said:

I have a NUC7i7DNHE to compare to. Since the Intel NUC doesn't support ECC, I'll use a non-ECC HyperX CL14 when comparing the two endpoints. This way sound quality during A/B test is all endpoint related and not linked to RAM quality.

Asrock iBOX-V1000 supports ECC since it's APU (V1605B) processor support it within it's memory controller.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_embedded/v1605b

00000.png.6344a21e0a8b6b9c828f614d2243557d.png

UDOO BOLT V8 has the same APU (V1605B) as the Asrock iBOX-V1000.

Many of these small form factors Mini PC's won't have a PCI-E slot since the cases are too slim to allow a PCI-E card to be vertically mounted. If a case had a space for horizontal mounting, a PCI-E to PCI-E riser cable is required for the liftoff distance. So there is no difference in using a riser cable or a M.2 KEY M (2242/2260/2280) to PCI-E converter cable, since a cable is still needed. M.2. and PCI-E operate at PCI-E X4 so they are compatible.

0_40.png.70c92f8c48cf3875bb76d5f6ad6f7059.png

In order to accommodate the JCAT USB Card, I will have to CNC an opening for the USB output and DC input, then drill two holes for a bolt and nut to hold the internal bracket in place. It should be fairly simple yet still a tedious process.

The real question is whether using a cable will rid some of the benefits of having the card since the length of the cable now becomes susceptible to EMI/RFI which when added together with length can add jitter. Proper actions should be taken such as reducing the length of the cable by cutting and re-soldering, shielding wires that have voltage running through them so they don't affect the data wires that are running parallel to them, and using a shield that goes around the whole cable to further protect the data wires. Additional methods can be added for so called "better" performance such as using UP-OCC solid core or stranded LITZ wire instead of the ribbon cable that the converter cable comes with, heat-shrinking each wire in neoprene heatshrink for low tribolectric effect, adding space between conductor and shielding to reduce capacitance and electrical absorption (neoprene does this), using copper foil instead of aluminum foil for better shielding properties, and applying Stabilant 22 to all contact points before pushing them into their respected slots.

Excellent - just the sort of experiment I would be interested in!

I look forward to the results as I've also got the DNHE NUC (Powered by SR7 in my case) and see your experiment as the next step.  You can always externally mount the JCAT card for testing to see if it's worth modifying the case.  Interested in your indication that JCAT Femto followed by SOtM tX-USBultra is worthwhile - how much improvement over just a single JCAT or SOtM tX-USBultra?  If you had just one which one would you purchase?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 5:48 AM, bobfa said:

My Musical Summer of Fun

Three system changes that improved my sound quality!

Over the the summer I have been working to try to improve and simplify my main system.  While the Kii Three System is simple, the digital chain running it was NOT.

I have been operating a two box solution with a server in the basement and an endpoint in the cabinet converting to USB for the Kii Control.  I have almost always had an ISORegen in the USB chain with a GHENT JSSG360 USB cable to the endpoint and a USBPC to the Kii Control.

I run Euphony OS on my Xeon Server.  Over the summer the team at Audiokernel released a new version of their software that runs the core OS components in RAM.  I participated in the beta and I am now on the production version.   This new version made a very large improvement in sound quality in my server.

Euphony can run a couple of different software packages.  The two I am concentrating on are Roon plus Stylus-EP and Stylus.  My son and I  had a long listening session a few days ago swapping back and forth between the two systems they are pretty close.  I think that Stylus does have sound quality edge sometimes but Roon just kills it on the UI/UX.  It is great to have them both a few clicks away!

With the new software I decided to try running the server as a single box with USB out.  I ran A/B/C testing with the two endpoints I had been using and the single box.  The single box won out buy quite a bit.  So now the server is in the cabinet with its HDPXEX 400 supply.

The other area I wanted to improve is the USB Chain so I purchased a modified txUSBultra from Audio Sensibility in Canada and it has been in the system for just about two weeks.  It is powered by an LPS1.2 from a rail on the HDPLEX 400.   I am using a Ghent JSSG360 USB cable between the server and the txUSBultra and a Lush^2 (TANF settings) on the output to the Kii Control. This change improved the detail added some bass extension and took away some more of that digital harshness.  Listening again today things continue to improve.  Time will tell how much better it will get.

The third change has been VERY interesting.  I have tested with different kinds of networking between the various boxes in the system.  My main network switch has SFP interfaces on it and I have done a lot of listening using fibre-optic networking vs copper.  I have found that fibre worked for me.  I had been running a fibre from the switch to the server bridged and then another fibre from the server to the endpoint.  That took three FMC devices that I had to power.  The bridged ethernet on the server made a difference but I was not happy with all of the extras needed.

When I moved the server to direct connect USB I decided to research FMC devices and the like.  I missed out on the first order for the UpTone EtherRegen.  I thought about SoTM switches, and others.  What I landed on was the Sonore opticalModule that  I put it in the system this week!  It is powered by a 5V rail from the HDPLEX400 and is connected to the server with a GHENT JSSG360 Ethernet cable.  The fibre goes from there to the network switch.  Note that my music is stored on a QNAP NAS in the basement network “area”.

The difference that the opticalModule makes is almost stunning.  I can only guess that the generic FMC was throwing a lot of junk into the server.   There is more of everything.  Sound stage, bass extension and control.  Musical detail is improved.

NOTE:  I CHANGED TWO THINGS AT ONCE!  I am not a patient person so the USB and network stuff changed at almost the same time!

So in summary:  My Summer of Fun With Stereo yielded some great results!

1. Euphony SW upgrade that eliminated the need for a D to D
  2. SoTM txUSBultra
  3. Sonore opticalModule

There is more to do. I am  upgrading the AC power cabling to the system next.  After that:

• I have to see if my Element H USB card makes any difference.
  • I am in on the order for some Apacer ECC DRAM.    
  • I am looking at different Xeon processor that has six or eight cores.
  • I have not tried doing anything with process allocation on the server.
  • I need to upgrade the ATX wiring from the power supply to the server.

There is a new version of AudioLinux coming out soon.  Who knows???

In summary this is still ugly, there are too many wires, the H5 case is too big.  I have not addressed the turntable side of things well enough yet. More to simplify! 

It was a good summer and I am happy, the system sounds quite a bit better and I had fun getting here.  Not bad for one summer project.

Hi Bob - Any feedback on your findings of the Element H USB card, and comparisions with SoTM txUSBultra?

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Have to admit, I ended up dropping my i7 nuc (the chosen one) with Apacer RAM, BIOS tuned, Farad 19v, Audio-Linux etc ... for an OpticalRendu.  Managed to obtain a broken in 7v Farad to do a comparison.    HQPlayer + NAA setup @ DSD512.

Was quite suprised if I'm honest, wasnt expecting the ARM based system to do so well, but it seems getting clean data to the SoC of choice is vitally important.  Chassis could be bigger IMHO, gets a little toasty.

Also switched from Startech FMCs to the OpticalModule units from Sonore.  Tried OpticalRendu with Startech FMC alone (powered by good DC power) before switching and after, again clear marked improvement. 

Main difference is a big uptick in dynamics, and transient resolution.

Next steps will be to try and obtain a OpticalModule OEM DIY card to feed it directly from the host server, cutting out any Ethernet to Fibre conversion stages + associated clocks, as well as awaiting Ghent GAC4-1 DC cable for the Farad (currently using level 1 30cm).

Interesting - anyone else experienced this compared to NUC? 

I would be interested on thoughts about locally bridging a NUC (operating as HQPlayer Server) to the OpticalRendu.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Nenon

I’m really looking forward to you testing the Asus WSC621E Sage with to CPU’s. 

Early stage questions? 

- Are the two CPU’s powered independently? E.g. could be powered by 2 x Sean Jacobs 5a LPS? 
- With 2 CPU’s does this mean it can run two operating systems at one time? E.g. can run Stylus on one & run Stylus EP on another? Effectively having a server & endpoint in one box? 
- With so many cores/threads realistically it can isolate most if not all Euphony processes? 
- the other question is? Why does the T Extreme have so much RAM? Presumably the RAM can be isolated like RAM when using windows? If so maybe this can be future Euphony development. 

I was planning upgrading my MB & CPU (intel i9), I’m now going to hold off! 

keep up the great work mate. 

p.s. please create a new thread “Building DIY Server 2” highly anticipated indeed! 

Some earlier thoughts here that might help answer these questions...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, jean-michel6 said:

I do understand... i have also toddlers but they are my grandchildren. Therefore I have some time and hopefully some cash 🙂

Foreword : if I advertise about this ered dock it is not to brag about my findings but really helping the community discover a product that deserves recognition . Contrary to the high end community this engineered company is having decent prices when you consider the hardware and human ware they have invested in their products.

It is really as simple as going from the nuc then to the switch then to the ered dock .

I don’t know if euphony can send music to upnp/dlna endpoint i will ask them .

I am using daphile , it is really easy to use , sound quality is very good with this software and it is free !

You need some knowledge to run daphile but it is not very difficult and there is instructions on daphile web site .

See my post above.  Also, try Gentoo Player - it does uPNP out.  Hopefully we can both support the same line of enquiry and bring further progress to the group.

Interesting findings - do you have a tx-USBultra to test with your opticalRendu?  I do wonder if this would also show little benefit from USB cleaning/reclocking.  I think the review of Allo USB signature also reported little benefit for adding it in (USB output must have been pretty clean).

Does anyone else have experience they can share in comparing the Sonore opticalRendu with other streamers?  I can find reviews, but not comparisions.

I would imagine that the eRED-dock would be similar in performance (but it's limited to uPNP).  I'm interested in filling in the percieved gap with the products other preople have found that lie between the opticalRendu and the ultra highend Pink Faun and Taiko Audio Extreme.  Both of which are way out of my price range 🙂

14 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

You'd have to compare their Signature Optical range, ideally with tier ii (+ turbo PSU) - which uses the same opticalRendu PCB.  I tried to get ahold of one in the UK, but its a real struggle hence went for the oR and will recase and apply a heatsink to it's SoC.  Lots of reviews, though.

Edit: opticalRendu PCB is the same in all Signature SE Optical ranges, its the modifications (fuse, EMI shielding and Turbo PSU) that differentiates it.  These days they simply have 1 offering (thankfully).

Thanks - nobody holds stock in the UK unfortunately as they're all custom made to order.  So no means for me to compare.

Agreed that PF and Taiko are server/streamer, and I'm looking at endpoints - whilst an endpoint makes most sense for me (as I almost excusively use Tidal) I'm just following the eternal quest of 'what sounds best' for my given needs, budget  and learning on the way 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, austinpop said:

This reinforces to me that systems with more powerful CPUs, with more cores, and bigger caches DO sound better, EVEN though the CPU utilization with the non-upsampling workloads of Stylus or Roon is vanishingly small. The challenge with such systems of course, as Nenon is detailing in his excellent DIY server thread, is getting a power supply that is both outstanding quality AND high-current.

Glad you highlighted this point as it's something I've been interested in for a while... the logic behind higher core speed and larger cache I get.  But the technical reason for going for a huge number of cores aludes me as Euphony or Gentoo Player would never use that many cores.

I would also like to hear feedback on sound differences between a single many core processor such as a Xeon or Epyc, vs the dual processor setup with Nenon is building.

Shame Mundorf stopped making these MPower supplies back in 2013... 30A of continuous low noise power.  Could build some seriously high powered servers with these.

I have no idea of their specs (ripple, noise floor, transient response etc....).  You will see that it uses a Mundorf HeadCap (I believe) - I was wondering if these could be added to ATX power rails to smooth the current...

Mundorf MPower.JPG

Indeed - fans are bad.  I have no idea if they only ramp up under higher loads in this MPower.

ATX power supplies sound rolled off in the treble to me.  I don’t know exactly what causes this, but I was wondering if really tight voltage regulation is the answer, which additional caps or a Mundorf HeadCap could help with...

Agreed on Acopian I’ve not progressed with these for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, seeteeyou said:

HjPMi3N.jpg

Very interesting post on Dual CAT POE @seeteeyou - I enjoyed it.  It's quite old though.  So where is the current state of play, or is it worth bypassing this and going straight to a Sablon Ethernet - 2020 model which is one item you referenced in the link (and austinpop is using).

I also like the fact that it gives some reasoning as to why CAT8 cabling sounds better... so I might well use that with the TELEGARTNER MFP8 CAT.8.1 for longer runs.

By the way, if others would like to gently/politely request a 12v version of this ultracap conditioner by Ian Canada on DIY Audio that'd be great.  He's just launched the 5v and 3.3v versions, so only the 12v version missing to have a great way of conditioning ATX power supplies.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/327105-develop-ultra-capacitor-power-supply-lifepo4-battery-power-supply-post6216601.htm

Love his work.

49930301561_bdac68de3d_o.jpg