IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

22 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/28/?tab=comments#comment-997400

Could that be Xeon Silver 4114T or 4214Y? Which Supermicro motherboard and why did you choose that? Did you choose something that's powered by 24-pin ATX or Gold Finger connector? Where did you get your custom linear power supply? Did you get 6 × 8G or 3 × 16G of ECC Memory and what's the brand?

Sorry about asking so many questions in a row but please pardon my morbid curiosity.

It’s the Xeon Silver 4116, the motherboard is the Supermicro MBD-X11SPM, Memory is: 6 sticks of NEMIX- DR480-CL02-ER26 8GB. No hard drive, OS and Music player in RAM loaded from removable SATA SSD. Power supply was custom built by an Agilent(HP)Test Instrument engineer, who is a close friend. BTW, serveral “insiders” are saying Intel engineers threw audiophiles a bone with the 621 chipset. I would also not doubt that the 6 channel ECC RAM is contributing to the sound quality. I am running a motherboard USB3, instead of my Neutron Star clocked PCIE USB board, it does however, go into a fully tricked out SOTM TX USB Ultra masterclocked from a Mutec REF10. 

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Were there any differences in sound perceived between the two cables?

Can I assume that you used both cables in the same settings and arrangement?

The overheating cable would actually suffer dropouts, sudden large “pops”. It’s hard to assess quantifiable differences because of that. And yes, both were in the same location in the same system.

I really wanted to mention the overheating cable defect, because the properly functioning one is only slightly warm. There is a good chance that an issue exists with one that is getting very hot. It might not be as bad as mine was with the dropouts, but perhaps it’s affecting the audio performance of the cable.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

I have tried to find the BS-GS2016 model but it is absolutely unavailable in Europe. Not a single shop has it available,

Crazy thing about the availability, because I’m in the US but actually got my last one on EBay from Italy! Go figure.

I have some interesting news for anyone looking for a Buffalo BS-GS2016A. I just discovered that the BS-GS2016P POE model uses the same main board, it just adds a piggyback board, POE relays and a higher voltage and current SMPS, all of which can be removed or bypassed. 

This might open up some additional sourcing opportunities😉

51EA7998-B8DC-426B-ADB1-19541B26D1F5.jpeg

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, lmitche said:

There are several Adnaco solutions that work depending on how many SFP ports you want, 1 to 4 is possible. The Adnaco USB remotes, Adnaco-R1USB30B, are always the same.  There are two PCIE cards available, the H1A with one port and the H2-01  with four ports. Everything can be ordered without any fiber cables or SFPs.

I wonder if it is possible to use the R1USB30B on the transmitting end, with a usb cable from the Jcat XE USB PCIe card to a R1USB30B on the DAC end?
Any thoughts?

It would seem that since the R1USB30B is a transceiver that it wouldn’t matter and would work on either end.

It would be interesting to see how that compares to using Adnaco’s PCIe card.

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

You could use one of their remote PCIE bus extension solutions and plug a JCAT card into that for a galvanically isolated JCAT solution.

I realized that after I looked closer at their solutions, seems like a decent possibility, depending how you power their remote PCIE expansion card.

• 1 month later...

Blackmorec,

What a wonderful post to wake up to this morning! I’ve been experimenting with some home built linear power supplies and they’ve made really stunning  improvements. So I’ve been wondering, what makes supplies from the likes of Sean Jacobs LPS,s so much better? Well, I think you’ve distilled it in an amazingly eloquent way! It is not such an easy task to translate what we audiophiles hear into words, but I think you really captured the essence of the changes your DC3/DC4 LPS’s have brought to your system. Congratulations on getting one step closer to what all of us music lovers are seeking!

I also am equally intrigued at the last noted observation. That your hearing the same improvements on locally played files. I wonder if somehow there is less noise leaked back through the AC lines to your Statement? You would think that if your network were totally disconnected from your Statement and also disconnected from the mains, you would achieve a similar result? These are some of those mysterious observations that boggle our senses but all of us who have been at this a long time have experienced. Those, “What the heck” confounding observations.

Cheers, Todd

• 3 weeks later...