IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned before but it's a long time favourite that kept me company during my travels in India and Nepal in the late 90's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-India-Shivkumar-Sharma-Hussain/dp/B00000GVZ0

Thanks for this. I've never heard it. Shivkumar Sharma introduced me to the sound of the santoor with an album entitled "Sampradaya" where he is accompanied by his son on santoor.

51kYNUlg0YL.jpg

My favorite recording of Sharma is "The Valley Recalls, Pt. 1" with bansuri master Hariprasad Chaurasia:

MI0001619572.jpg

51rA0Lcd9rL.jpg

@ christopher3393

Thank you for your Chinese folk music tips - I'm not very familiar with music of this region. Your avatar is quite different from the previous ones..

@ semente

The Indian vocal pieces you posted are simply amazing! And I don't know any of the artists. As for your travels - fantastic (been thinking about going to India in recent years, never been there)

As for me I can enjoy both well done modern ethno fusion and more traditional folk.

I haven't decided in 100% yet but it's going probably to be my 'Album of the Evening' tonight (first listen, 24bit)

album-428e1f3afd9d6f629f392ce4086d3d47.jpg

[...] Shivkumar Sharma introduced me to the sound of the santoor with an album entitled "Sampradaya" where he is accompanied by his son on santoor. [...]

Looks like a kind of hammered dulcimer. They're actually quite widespread around the world, e.g. in Gypsy and Chinese music. The famous violin piece Csárdás by Vittorio Monti was based on Hungarian folk tune that's often accompanied by Hungarian dulcimer called cimbalom. Here, it's played on Chinese dulcimer called yangqin:

The showy 16th note staccato runs in the violin version makes total sense when played this way.

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned before but it's a long time favourite that kept me company during my travels in India and Nepal in the late 90's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-India-Shivkumar-Sharma-Hussain/dp/B00000GVZ0

I shared a small meal with Zakir Hussain (and John McLaughlin and the astounding violinist L. Shankar) backstage after a transcendent Shakti concert in Santa Barbara (circa 1976). Hussain was an amazing talent and a very sweet man. I felt blessed by the meeting.

Looks like a kind of hammered dulcimer. They're actually quite widespread around the world, e.g. in Gypsy and Chinese music. The famous violin piece Csárdás by Vittorio Monti was based on Hungarian folk tune that's often accompanied by Hungarian dulcimer called cimbalom. Here, it's played on Chinese dulcimer called yangqin:

The showy 16th note staccato runs in the violin version makes total sense when played this way.

Yes, the cimbalom or hammered dulcimer was used by many cultures; the Jews call it tsimbl and it's commonly used in Klezmer music:

For those wishing to dip their toe in Klezmer music I recommend this album:

51kYK2gvkrL._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marriage-Heaven-Earth-Klezmer-Music/dp/B0000059U4/

While we're at it, why not listen to the the instrument in Zoltán Kodály's "Háry János":

SaveSave

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Thanks for the link.

The writer's views are quite similar to mine, although he expresses himself in a much clearer manner and has deeper knowledge of the subject.

He even mentions Peter Gabriel's label whose name I had forgotten...

The recording I suggested is probably of an early more traditional phase.

R

RealWorld (Gabriel's label). They have many exceptional recordings of Khan and others. They provided downloads for years, then sadly stopped and went exclusively to CD and vinyl.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@ semente

I'm quite into klezmer but I admit mainly in modern or jazz-fusion form. I recommend strongly John Zorn and his label (Tzadik) recordings. For example:

Yay klezmer! :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@ semente

I'm quite into klezmer but I admit mainly in modern or jazz-fusion form. I recommend strongly John Zorn and his label (Tzadik) recordings. For example:

Wow, avant garde klezmer! Who knew? ;)

I have a bunch of John Zorn records, but none from that angle of his work. Very cool, thanks.

--Alex C.

P.S. This now my favorite thread of the year on CA. Keep it coming!

@ semente

Thanks for the suggestion.

In a more similar line I would recommend Andy Statman:

There is a little known style of classical vocal singing in India called Dhrupad, made popular in recent times by Dagar Brothers. A dying art form sadly. Some collections still available on Amazon.

Dagar brothers - Dagarvani.org

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dagar+brothers

There is another similarly lesser known string instrument called Rudra Vina, played by another Dagar (brother?), and few others:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rudra+vina+dagar&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arudra+vina+dagar

I thought it might interest some.

There is a little known style of classical vocal singing in India called Dhrupad, ...

I thought it might interest some.

Wow! This is getting serious now.

Dhrupad is one of the oldest classical forms of music.

Of recent the Gundecha Brothers have been the torch bearers.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thanks for the suggestion.

In a more similar line I would recommend Andy Statman

+1. My personal favorite of his recordings is Old Brooklyn:

0003451503.jpg

AllMusic Review by William Ruhlmann [-]

Andy Statman has tended to compartmentalize his two instruments and two performing styles, on the one hand, a bluegrass mandolin player, on the other, a klezmer clarinetist, even to the point, for instance, of simultaneously issuing albums in each mode, as he did in 2006 with East Flatbush Blues and Awakening from Above, respectively. On 2011's Old Brooklyn, he endeavors to mix his approaches and give full rein to his talents; not surprisingly, it takes him two CDs and more than 90 minutes to do it. Among the 25 tracks can be found a lyrical unaccompanied clarinet performance ("Life Cycles") as well as a bluegrass number in the manner of Bill Monroe, albeit with drums ("Long Journey Home"). In between, it's possible to hear just about everything in between. On various tunes, Statman employs some traditional bluegrass players, notably fiddler Byron Berline, banjoist Béla Fleck, and banjo and fiddle player Bruce Molsky, as well as horn men Art Baron and Lew Soloff, and even Paul Shaffer on his various keyboards. Early on, notably on the opening title song and "Totally Steaming," the musicians cross the border from klezmer to Ornette Coleman-style free jazz. They also bring in early rock & roll and blues on occasion ("Bourbon in Jackson Hole," "21st Century Chicken Shack Back Blues"). And there's even a gospel spiritual, "The Lord Will Provide," with a vocal by Ricky Skaggs that is basically a cappella, although the singing interweaves with Statman's clarinet soloing. Much of the time, however, the disc goes back and forth between the leader's big loves, presenting bluegrass on one track led by mandolin, followed by klezmer on the next, as the clarinet returns. What ties it all together is Statman's virtuosity on his instruments, virtuosity that is often matched by a talented and adventurous batch of backup musicians.

My kind of 'klezmer' music.. :) Out of more than 150 Zorn's albums I know (he created much more stuff : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zorn_discography ) I'd probably rate more than 50% as my 5 stars recordings, for me he's one of the most important contemporary jazz (and not only) musicians and composers.

A couple more Tzadik diversity examples:

P.S. This now my favorite thread of the year on CA. Keep it coming!

+1

My kind of 'klezmer' music.. :) Out of more than 150 Zorn's albums I know (he created much more stuff : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zorn_discography ) I'd probably rate more than 50% as my 5 stars recordings, for me he's one of the most important contemporary jazz (and not only) musicians and composers.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Just when you thought I had finished with Alpha Blondy...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I admit I did.. :) I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this albino Jamaican (bass and unorthodox production by Bill Laswell)

Hehe, no, didn't know about him I'm not a fan of reggae (apart from AB), but I know this Albino from Mali:

Salif-Keita-MBemba.jpg

And just in case you thought...:

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Bollywood

Let me summarise this for you:

The song is either sung by Asha Bhosle or Lata Mangeshkar.

The song is sung in a really high-pitched totally nasal voice (which is highly irritating once you notice).

That's it really.

:D

Moving on to Europe, with a bit Polish traditional music with a psychedelic (but acoustic) twist:

51OT3xgfwTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peoples-Spring-Warsaw-Village-Band/dp/B0035E94IM/

Saw these people play live in a small theatre and they nearly brought the place down. :)

SaveSave