IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

The Amadou et Miriam CD "Dimanche à Bamako" seems to be produced or promoted by Manu Chao, and interestingly enough I think the recording is much better quality than his own albums. You can't tell the recording quality here, but this track is wonderful, very moving. I like all of their CDs but this one is my favorite.

& saw this group live years ago and they were fantastic. It's hard to describe the energy in one of their live performances. Some of us in the audience were in tears, others were like "WTF is it??"

cBV7TYs9x
Dear Nikhil:

I must now sent you both a gift and a bill for the lost work hour that I sat transfixed watching this wonderful concert! It has been decades since I saw Zakir Hussain in person. He is always a delight. But Rakesh Chaurasia is somehow new to me, and I was absolutely transported by his heartfelt and transcendent playing.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Peace,

--Alex C.

Alex, really glad you liked that.

The Bansoori is one of those ethereal instruments - just magic in the right hands.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Nikhil that was just amazing. As a former percussionist I have a huge appreciation for that.

Here is some percussion music from the state of Kerala in South India.

Panchavayadam - this is a type of temple music played at festivals in ensembles consisting of five instruments. Four are percussion instruments - Timila, Maddalam, Ilathalam and Idakka and the fifth, kombu, is a wind instrument.

Will share more if there is an interest for this type of music.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Portuguese Fado is one my favorite genres;

Hi Nikhil,

If you ever visit Lisbon let me know and I will suggest a few places where you can listen to live fado.

Best,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Anybody remember this.? Frank Zappa would probably say 'strictly commercial' but it had some charm IMO.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLrMXa4oH4

Yes. I owned the album and played it with some frequency for awhile (many years ago). Now I guess we have Krishna Das, an American, for good recordings of Kirtan. There are others like Jai Uttal and some of Deva Primal's stuff, but generally Western Kirtan is overproduced with electric instruments and synthesized effects, and tends to be New Agey. The only authentic Indian Kirtan I've heard recorded has been poorly recorded and sung as devotional practice by folks that don't sing terribly well.

Hi Nikhil,

If you ever visit Lisbon let me know and I will suggest a few places where you can listen to live fado.

Best,

Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo ... nothing in the horizon but you never know!

I am listening to this album right now ...

MI0002965585.jpg

My problem with vocal flamenco and fado is the vocal dramatic exaltation. I simply can't 'digest' it. I like the music but my ears reject this vocal style. Are there any singers who do not perform it in such a way.? Or is it simply (that's what I think in fact but maybe I'm wrong) the genres' style.?

I know it's purely a question of personal taste. You know - some like growling..:) But I like instrumental flamenco (is there instrumental fado too.?) - and in fact still search for interesting virtuoso performers. Someone's got any suggestions?

I know it's purely a question of personal taste. You know - some like growling..:) But I like instrumental flamenco (is there instrumental fado too.?) - and in fact still search for interesting virtuoso performers. Someone's got any suggestions?

Also interesting to explore: the musical links between the origins of gypsies in India and how their influence propagated and amalgamated with others throughout Eastern Europe into Andalusia where it melded there too, together with the feet-tapping dance moves.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Exuma, originally from Cat Island, Bahamas, "known for his almost unclassifiable music: a strong mixture of carnival, junkanoo, calypso and ballad"

Island Culture is a domain all of its own, with usually a lot of intercultural influences.

Here are some to discover:

1. Sega from Mauritius. Instruments like the Ravanne and Maravanne are used. The dance happens in small steps, presumably because it was the dance of slaves (feet shackled).

2. Kaya was a representative of Seggae (fusion of Sega and Reggae). This song isn't like that though. RIP Kaya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbQJJBHzcg

In Reunion Island, there is the 'Maloya'.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Introducing another Indian Master to the thread ...

Amjad Ali Khan on the Sarod (with Zakir Hussain)

Wonderful Nikhil!

I do wish I could find some of these concerts as DVDs or CD releases. I have found some of these masters CD releases to be either hard to find, expensive, of of poor sound quality. And I don't have an easy way (or inclination) to play YouTube videos through my main audio system.

So aside from the terrific live concerts (which, as with other musics are often more engaging and spontaneous than studio recordings), it would be lovely if you could recommend select CD releases as well.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Wonderful Nikhil!

I do wish I could find some of these concerts as DVDs or CD releases. I have found some of these masters CD releases to be either hard to find, expensive, of of poor sound quality. And I don't have an easy way (or inclination) to play YouTube videos through my main audio system.

Glad you liked that one. Unfortunately recording quality is an issue with Indian classical music.

Some of the better recordings I've heard are from Peter Gabriel's "Real World Studios"

I don't know about the album below but it's available on Amazon and HDTracks.

41K9NXN7M8L.jpg

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ustad-Amjad-Khan-Zakir-Hussain/dp/B00000163Z/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_4

(Amazon might be the best place to find Audio CDs for many of these albums)

HDTracks: Ustad Amjad Ali Khan Sarod | HDtracks