IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

This is amazing stuff even for just the album cover.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

You mentioned Bob and I have a couple of remasters, but he still does nothing for me, I prefer Alpha Blondy by far, by very far. The Wailers worked with him after Bob passed away. I'm not a big fan of reggae, but I love AB.

Ultimately, I'd like at least an album from each African country, and further than that at least an album of each country in the world (my collection is growing).

Alpha Blondy (born Seydou Koné; 1 January 1953 in Dimbokro,[1] Ivory Coast) is a reggae singer and international recording artist. Many of his songs are politically motivated, and are mainly sung in his native language of Dioula, French and in English, though he occasionally uses other languages, for example, Arabic or Hebrew.

[h=2]Faith[/h]Alpha Blondy was born to a Muslim father and a Christian mother, and was brought up by a grandmother "who taught him to love everyone".[5] Blondy's respect for all religions and the spirituality he derives from them can be heard on the tracks “God is One” or “Jerusalem” where he sang for unity between all religions in 1986.

Alpha Blondy continues to fight for peace and unity all around the world through music. A recent example is his single “Who Are You” with Ophélie Winter against antipersonnel mines. He has also participated at many humanitarian and charity concerts, such as the concert in Senegal in March 2006 for the eradication of Malaria in Africa (where he appeared along with many other celebrities). He also continues this work in Ivory Coast itself, at his annual free concert at Bassam beach called “festa”.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I much prefer the original ethnic/traditional music of Nusrat to this popish version with ketchup, French fries and mayonnaise.

(rant on)

I can understand that the enjoyment and understanding of traditional music requires a bit of effort but why should the wonderful expression of the cultures around the world be subject to such a simpletonic americanisation?

And as much as I admire Peter Gabriel efforts, I feel the same about the few recordings of his label that I once bought...

I won't even go about what MTV has done to music and to the minds of teenagers around the world.

This attitude is destroying the cultural diversity, the originality. For what purpose, profit?

Take another example: my hometown musical tradition is fado. In the old days it was performed in small taverns located in the old, poor heart of the city, one singer accompanied by the luth-like 12string guitar which was backed by one or more acoustic guitars.

But nowadays it's been amplified, kept to it's pace by a double-bass or even an electric base guitar and I've even seen the 12guitar being replaced by a piano.

Fortunately you can still listen to the real thing in the old taverns...

What's with this obsession with "fusion" which is little more than the westernisation or better still americanisation of anything unfamiliar?

Can't people just enjoy sushi without the chips and ketchup? Or Coke?

(rant off)

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Here's a brief account of the problematic nature of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party's discography: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan | Biography & History | AllMusic

Thanks for the link.

The writer's views are quite similar to mine, although he expresses himself in a much clearer manner and has deeper knowledge of the subject.

He even mentions Peter Gabriel's label whose name I had forgotten...

The recording I suggested is probably of an early more traditional phase.

R

Here's a brief account of the problematic nature of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party's discography: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan | Biography & History | AllMusic

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan - the singer whose video I had linked to eariler - is the nephew of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and son of Farrukh Fateh Ali Khan and the grandson of Qawwali singer Fateh Ali Khan. Just in case the names were getting mixed up.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

How about this for a sample of proper Classical Indian vocal music Nikhil?

(probably not too popular with most people, but neither is Bach)

How about this for a sample of proper Classical Indian vocal music Nikhil?

Not my cup of tea to be honest. I have a very limited collection in this area.

Here is Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Pandit Ravi Shankar and half-sister of Norah Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncuN9zbtpt8

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan - the singer whose video I had linked to eariler - is the nephew of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and son of Farrukh Fateh Ali Khan and the grandson of Qawwali singer Fateh Ali Khan. Just in case the names were getting mixed up.

Thanks. Sorry for causing any confusion. I was replying to semente's comment addressing Nusrat, and speaking only to Nusrat's discography and its problems. It might be worth mentioning that Rahat has recorded some traditional qawwali as well as more pop-oriented/ fusion/remix/experimental approaches. I wouldn't want to be disparaging of his work, which I'm simply not familiar with. My own preference is for the more traditional qawwali no matter the performer. Sometimes I get concerned that the traditional voices/approaches can be drowned out by the other, sometimes more commercially successful approaches. This is not to disparage "fusion". I really love some world music fusion projects as indicated in a couple of examples offered above.

As for Rahet, here is a brief quote that may indicate where he stands:

Though Rahat is excited to play with Western pop musicians and lay down tracks in state-of-the-art studios, he is ultimately most concerned with the art of qawwali and its mystically imbued message. As he states, "qawwali music is not only music, it is a message. It was created by Sufis, and when we compose and practice this music, it stays forever. Other music comes and goes, but qawwali never goes. Once you start listening, it goes in your soul, goes in your spirit, and you become more human. I feel that this music is my duty, to go and give the message of Sufism. My future is that one day I will fulfill the desire of Nusrat to give this message to the world."
---from Rahat Fateh Ali Khan | Biography & History | AllMusic

...as a side note, Rahat's discography on ALLMUSIC lists only 4 albums, woefully incomplete from my brief research!

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned before but it's a long time favourite that kept me company during my travels in India and Nepal in the late 90's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-India-Shivkumar-Sharma-Hussain/dp/B00000GVZ0