IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

Thanks, but fusion is definitely not my thing.

I'm listening to Gypsy music now:

Taraf de Haïdouks

61c5P3LJimL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honourable-Brigands-Magic-Horses-Evil/dp/B00000AWXG

5180VADD5VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dumbala-Dumba-Taraf-Haidouks/dp/B000024BFX

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Kapela Ze Wsi Warszawa is quite far musically from the original 'roots' Polish folk :)

Trebunie Tutki (but without Twinkle Brothers of course) are in fact much closer to it :)

I'll investigate Trebunie Tutki then.

Cheers,

Ricardo

I listen to practically every genre of music. Jazz, blues, rock, classical.. But world music is a very special part of my collection, probably because of its (I think the right word will be) 'earthly' quality it usually has. At the same time I'm convinced there are many artists from different parts of the world I haven't discovered yet.

This topic has really rekindled my interest in the genre.

Cheers for that!

Digging up the archives as I type...

R

Introducing Kuchipudi to the thread - one of the dance forms that I like.

The signature sound is the rhythmic cant that follows the beat of the mridingam

(wait for it at the 1:25 mark)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Let me summarise this for you:

The song is either sung by Asha Bhosle or Lata Mangeshkar.

The song is sung in a really high-pitched totally nasal voice (which is highly irritating once you notice).

That's it really.

:D

At the very least it's typically down to Bollywood culture, or more than likely it's Asian culture at work. That song style is readily noticeable on:

• iTunes -> Internet Radio -> International/World -> CalmRadio.com - Bollywood - Sampler

... and other similar iTunes streams

Best way to approach this, is to supplant your western cultural subjective expectations with eastern cultural objective expectations. You'll enjoy the music more, and the "irritating" aspect you describe will fade into obscurity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood

Best way to approach this, is to supplant your western cultural subjective expectations with eastern cultural objective expectations. You'll enjoy the music more, and the "irritating" aspect you describe will fade into obscurity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood

Maybe, but I don't have 'western cultural subjective expectations', I'm multi-cultural.

And decades later, the irritating aspect hasn't faded into obscurity for me.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Introducing Kuchipudi to the thread ]
I became quite interested in watching dance in recent years. Mainly modern dance but not only. Thanks!

I couldn't find the fragment from 'Live at the Quick' official DVD which I highly recommend but check this out - these guys are having lots of fun! And Ondar Kongar-ol knows what throat singing is about.

[video=youtube;FXPR-n9_OM8]

@ semente Glad to hear that, mate!

Where is that from?

I once a live performance of dance from Orissa and it was amazing.

R

Kuchipudi originates from the state of Andhra Pradesh near the city of Vijayawada.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

And here is an unattributed recording of the Chinese classic "Spring River Flower Moon Night" played on the guzheng (Chinese zither). I like how it shows the technique involved in playing this beautiful instrument:

The canonical gear test track version of this for me is Zhao Cong - Moonlight on Spring River, on The Dali CD Vol. 2. It could be a soundtrack to an Asian Epic:

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

This lady has a series of tutorial videos on overtone singing:

I admit I tried to do it and I was succesful (to let's say some degree ;)). I recommend trying it - it's lots of fun. Thx for the link, will check out her lessons! BTW I'd like to hear an overtone choir one day! This should sound amazing! Somebody heard such recordings.?

As an adolescent, Jonathan "Johnny" Clegg developed an interest in Celtic music, which led to him learning about and performing Zulu street music and taking part in traditional Zulu dance competitions.

He was first arrested at the age of 15 for violating apartheid-era laws in South Africa banning people of different races from congregating together after curfew hours.

At the age of 17, he met Sipho Mchunu, a Zulu migrant worker with whom he began performing music.

The partnership, which they named Juluka, was profiled in the 1970s television documentary Beats of the Heart: Rhythm of Resistance.

(source: wikipedia)

As an adolescent, Jonathan "Johnny" Clegg developed an interest in Celtic music, which led to him learning about and performing Zulu street music and taking part in traditional Zulu dance competitions.

He was first arrested at the age of 15 for violating apartheid-era laws in South Africa banning people of different races from congregating together after curfew hours.

At the age of 17, he met Sipho Mchunu, a Zulu migrant worker with whom he began performing music.

The partnership, which they named Juluka, was profiled in the 1970s television documentary Beats of the Heart: Rhythm of Resistance.

(source: wikipedia)

Saw him and Savuka Live in Mauritius around the 90s if I remember correctly.

My most intense live experience of a traditional choir was when I listened to Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares, just a few hours after my second son was born:

Le mystère des robes Bulgares aussi. :D