IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

Susheela Raman - another example of interesting IMO ethno fusion from my collection.

Artur,

Those Susheela Raman videos are a little dodgy to put it mildly. The second video "Ganapati" specially is a very poor version/interpretation of a classical Carnatic devotional song. It is a devotional song to Ganesh or Ganapathi - the remover of obstacles. Here is a more authentic version of the same song Maha Ganapathim Manasa by singer K J Yesudas.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

"Begin Japanalogy".

Hadn't heard of it, but looks like a great series I'd thoroughly enjoy!

If you like Japanese Culture, try these too:

1. Terrace House (Netflix)

2. Midnight Diner (Netflix)

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

@semente Qyria Yefefyia - very 'minimalist', very beautiful!

@Nikhil Sorry buddy, I don't get it. IMO there were at least half a dozen posts on this thread more 'popish' than this one. Some of them yours BTW (remember semente scolding you for them?:)). In the begining of this thread I proposed that just an ethnic element is enough to post the performance which doesn't have to be in 100% 'authentically' ethnic. I didn't claim that Susheela Raman is a traditional Indian folk performer recorded in the forest near Varanasi :)! But I think you will agree that these songs do have a strong ethnic element. As for her music - she isn't my personal personal favorite but I think her music is quite (not very) interesting and some people may have a chance to get to know her name due to these posts cause she's not a vey popular performer and maybe like her music (maybe even more than I do..). You obvously didn't and that's ok with me.

Let's be openminded and tolerant here, my friend, ok?

And don't be afraid I won't post any Bollywood hits ;) Unless my music taste changes dramatically, ha, ha.

Hadn't heard of it, but looks like a great series I'd thoroughly enjoy!

Just started watching "Tan Men" the first episode of Midnight Diner.

Brilliant show ... thanks for the reference!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

@Nikhil Sorry buddy, I don't get it. ...

I was pointing out the difference between - to use an analogy - sparkling wine from a convenience store and a top shelf Riesling from the Rheingau. It helps to know the difference.

.... I won't post any Bollywood hits ;) Unless my music taste changes dramatically, ha, ha.

Bollywood - to continue the analogy - is like a cocktail.

As always, the bartender's skills are critical.

@Nikhil I used to pick up grapes during my student summer holidays in France (in Alsace where they make great white wines too) many times. And I used to like wine in the old days. I think I know a thing or two about it. Believe me - it's hard to buy Riesling or Gewurtzraminer (my favourite from this area) outside France (IMO the French make better white wines than the Germans) that could match the quality of wines they make and drink in small Alsatian vineyards. And spending big bucks on it doesn't necessarily help. My theory is - they keep it all for themselves ;) You know - they drink a lot there ;)

But with music it's different. For me it can leave its country of origin and change due to different influences. From my point of view many fascinating recordings were created by fusing or clashing two (or more) music traditions. Starting with Miles Davis jazz-rock (fusion!) period and such albums like 'In a Silent Way' or 'Bitches Brew'. The same goes for let's say some of John McLaughlin's music, ECM ethnic jazz and many other recordings. There is no way to list them all here.

These are my personal opinions and general observations. I'm not defending Susheela Raman here. As I said in my opinion she isn't bad but I'm not a big fan of her.

As for the 'Bollywood cocktail' - I must have not met the right bartender ;) Have you.?

Finally I had a chance to listen attentively to K J Yesudas performance which @Nikhil posted. Last time I heard the traditional Indian vocal music long ago and it didn't impress me then. Now I'm stunned! In particular the last minute improvisation (?) (reminds me of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan singing). Could somebody recommend more music like that? Music quality comes first but it would be nice if SQ was good too. I count on you Nikhil, too.

Glad you liked that.

Introducing Ustad Rashid Khan who comes from the Hindustani Music tradition.

The song is Raag Bhairav which has a sombre mood to it.

Carnatic Music Female Vocalist Aruna Sairam

Percussionist fans notice the mridangam drum and the ghatam (earthen pot)

The music follows a back and forth between the vocals and accompanying instruments.

As for the 'Bollywood cocktail' - I must have not met the right bartender ;) Have you.?

Here is a sample ... you have been warned!

@Nikhil Thx! I won't mind more posts on Indian vocal music.

Sure. Here is a devotional music style called "Abhang" in the Marathi language from Western India

@YashN

Thanks again for the intro Midnight Diner. What a fantastic series!

I have been trying to find the music for the series online but no luck so far.

@YashN

Thanks again for the intro Midnight Diner. What a fantastic series!

I have been trying to find the music for the series online but no luck so far.

A CD containing music from the series was released in Japan and is available from CDJapan:

CDJapan : Shinya Shokudou no Uta V.A. CD Album

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Thanks again for that one Nikhil. It is surprising to me how much this Abhang style sounds like Qawwali. But sung by women! I like it. :)

--Alex C.

I see where you are coming from - interesting! Abhang however is religious devotional music sung by pilgrims/devotees to Vithala, the deity of the Pandharpur temple. It's a very unique style sung in the Marathi language and is a sort of lively praise music in contrast to the bhajan which is a reflective worship style.

Glad you liked it. I did not know you had an interest in Indian music.

Regards.