IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Is the creation of an index the only thing this new authority allows? 

The new feature allows the first post of a thread to be editable forever by the OP (or designate). That's all. The index is just an idea for how to use this feature.

And what is the mission of this index? 

I was hoping it's obvious. There are 86 pages to this thread, and embedded within it are some very useful posts. An index allows newbies some way to get at the good stuff quickly without having the daunting task of reading the entire thread or using searches to glean help within the thread.

Will the index be used to indicate what is or is not on- or off-topic and will information that is determined to be off-topic still remain available or will it be eliminated somehow. 

It's up to the OP or designate to determine what else to maintain in the first post. Posting guidelines are certainly possible.

Finally, I am assuming it's the OP, or others so designated, that determines what's appropriate for indexing and what is not to be indexed.

Yes, although nothing stops others to nominate candidate posts or content to the index. However, what makes it into the first post is ultimately up to the OP/designate.

Thanks "ted_b" and "austinpop".  Makes much more sense to me now and, yes, I was probably overthinking it!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 hours ago, ted_b said:

2)  To make a very long story short, my health took a hit (I'm fine overall) and I'm still buried from all the non-activity as I recuperate.  I could use some real help here, even as far as nominating an editor.   I know there are clearly best-practices posts, and those posts would clear up a lot of confusion about best links, best setups, etc...and remove all the noise about non Mediatek-capable chipsets,  Oppo 2xx series, Bluray, etc.

Ted, 

I'm very sorry to hear that your health took a hit. I think it is perfectly fair for someone else to volunteer for the index creation.

I would suggest that even that responsibility can be shared. I believe only one person can have the actual edit authority - is that right, @The Computer Audiophile? - but there is no reason that the actual curation can't be a group effort, with one person volunteering for the actual editing role, but delegating specific subjects to other volunteers who supply their portion of the index.

Divide and conquer.

Right then, who's putting their hand up for the HQPlayer thread, surely a WR ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Ripping settings question: I currently only listen in stereo but may wish to add to my set-up to make it MCh some day.

When I rip a MCh SACD using Sonore iso2dsd gui , should I be choosing the MCh option even though I listen in stereo? Will JRiver or Foobr mix it down to stereo? Should I be ripping stereo, or one each for MCh and stereo?
Sorry for what may be a dumb question.

If listening in stereo rip to stereo DSF files.  In many cases the overall mix (or even recording, like GD's American beauty, etc) is different, let alone the number of channels.  Downmix is ok but suboptimal second choice.  Keep your ISO in storage to later extract the mch layer.

it is very possible that the following question my have been answered; yet I'd appreciate either a direct link or quick answer. [This is a fascinating, but very long thread :)].

Suppose I have an already ripped SACD-R ISO. All I want to do, is to extract the DSF files to highest quality in stereo. Hoping there's a simple method to do this. Tx in advance, Paul.

2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

I have just created a Word document that summarises the process for ripping an SACD on an Oppo 103 or 105 using Sonore's  ISO2DSD.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0

I hope this helps.

Good job and looks to be pretty much the same when using a Mac but, what about disabling 'Auto-play'? I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary but was originally listed as a step. I disabled auto-play on my 103D.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I added Haggis999's Word doc link to the first post!  Thanks Haggis999

Thanks for that, Ted. I'm glad to have been of service.

I have uploaded a few minor updates to my document, such as crediting 'Mr Wicked', who created the sacd_extract code. If anyone has any further improvements to offer then I'm happy to incorporate them, especially if they add useful info for OSX or Linux users and thus make it a single reference source for Oppo 103/105 users.

I would also be happy for anyone to use my document as a starting point for creating a separate version aimed at users of the Pioneer BDP-160.

12 hours ago, captainbrent said:

Good job and looks to be pretty much the same when using a Mac but, what about disabling 'Auto-play'? I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary but was originally listed as a step. I disabled auto-play on my 103D.

Cheers

My experience with Oppo 105: I did not turn off anything, the player started to play the inserted SACD, so I just stopped playing manually, and then it was possible to extract the SACD.

15 minutes ago, wanthalf said:

My experience with Oppo 105: I did not turn off anything, the player started to play the inserted SACD, so I just stopped playing manually, and then it was possible to extract the SACD.

I've modified my document to make turning off Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume a recommendation instead of an instruction. As you say, it's not difficult to cope with these settings being active, but it does make the ripping of a batch of SACDs a little slicker if they are turned off.

6 hours ago, Arg said:

I totally agree and thank you very much to haggis for doing it.

Hi Arg,
As the creation of my process summary document was prompted by your post yesterday, I would be very interested to hear if you have now succeeded in ripping your first SACD and if you have any suggestions for improving my instructions. Your experience as a new user would be the first real test of the document.

15 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Thanks for spotting that omission. I have now updated my document.

Here is my download link again, highlighted to make it easier for new visitors to spot.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@                                                                                                                                                    @

@      HOW TO RIP SACDs ON AN OPPO 103/105                                                             @

@      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++                                                            @

@                                                                                                                                                    @

@      The following Word document summarises the process and provides download                  @

@      links for all the required code.                                                                                               @

@                                                                                                                                                    @

@       https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0          @

@                                                                                                                                                    @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I was wondering?  

How do I rip SACD's on my Oppo 103?