IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Great!.

I'm using a cheap Verbatim (USB2) thumd drive that's formatted as NTFS. In it is a folder called Autocsript. 

I power up the S590 and when it's ready I insert the USB drive in the front port (but the back one works too). You know the script is running when you see the tray open. I then insert the SACD and without closing the tray I press the On/Off button to put the player in standby mode. The draw closes by itself and I'm all set and ready to rip.

If you run into any problems, post them here. The members here are incredibly helpful. They got me going when I was first trying to get this all up and running.

AutoScript.zip

6 minutes ago, rmmeli said:

I received my S590. Connected it up and inserted my USB drive. Sure enough the drawer opens and I can insert the SACD. What does the rip?

Are you using macOS, Windows, or Linux?

SACDExtractGUI does the rip, use Post #4426 to download it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

5 minutes ago, rmmeli said:

Thanks snafu_. I have got the files off one sacd. What is the recommendation for software to convert it to a format I can play like FLAC?

For Windows I'd use TASCAM Hi-Res Editor.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 minutes ago, snafu_ said:

dbPoweramp has a well regarded converter. I've used it and it seems to do a very good job.

I also believe Foobar2000 will do it, but you have to first configure foobar to be able to play DSD files.

dBpoweramp for sure, but it's not free. I think Foobar is a ridiculous pain in the neck for this kind of thing, too much set-up, configure plugin, downloading, annoying.

A nice alternative is the TASCAM program I mentioned above, or Sonore's DSD2FLAC, but that one is Mac or Linux only.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, rmmeli said:

Thanks snafu_. I have got the files off one sacd. What is the recommendation for software to convert it to a format I can play like FLAC?

FLAC is a PCM container, and converting SACD files to PCM is a lossy process.  You want to leave the files in DSD (i.e DSF), unless your multichannel dac is not DSD-capable. 

5 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

dBpoweramp for sure, but it's not free. I think Foobar is a ridiculous pain in the neck for this kind of thing, too much set-up, configure plugin, downloading, annoying.

A nice alternative is the TASCAM program I mentioned above, or Sonore's DSD2FLAC, but that one is Mac or Linux only.

Hey Mikey, are v1.02 for Mac and v1.03 for Windows the latest versions of Tascam Hi-Res Editor? And the Teac version- looks like the only difference is cosmetic, and I don't think one or both might not have as recent versions, if the version numbers track between the two?

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

Hey Mikey, are v1.02 for Mac and v1.03 for Windows the latest versions of Tascam Hi-Res Editor?

Yes

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

And the Teac version- looks like the only difference is cosmetic, and I don't think one or both might not have as recent versions, if the version numbers track between the two?

This I would not have first-hand knowledge of, except to say TASCAM is 1 of 4 TEAC Corp. divisions, so it stands to reason they should be essentially similar.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

though... what's the point of ripping DSDs then converting to FLAC? 😶

if those are what you need just rip the CD layer (almost all SACDs are hybrid)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

22 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

though... what's the point of ripping DSDs then converting to FLAC? 😶

if those are what you need just rip the CD layer (almost all SACDs are hybrid)

Maybe he needs to play the files on a device that does not support DSD files.

The FLACs converted from DSD will be hi-rez (24/88 or 24/176), so better than a rip of the CD layer

Claude

11 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes

This I would not have first-hand knowledge of, except to say TASCAM is 1 of 4 TEAC Corp. divisions, so it stands to reason they should be essentially similar.

Mikey, the Mac requirements list El Capitan 10.11.x, Yosemite 10.10.x and Mavericks 10.9.x... have you tried this or have any knowledge of others using Hi Res Editor v1.02 on a Mac version high than this (in my case I'm using High Sierra on everything, but could boot to El Cap on another drive if I had to).

55 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Mikey, the Mac requirements list El Capitan 10.11.x, Yosemite 10.10.x and Mavericks 10.9.x... have you tried this or have any knowledge of others using Hi Res Editor v1.02 on a Mac version high than this (in my case I'm using High Sierra on everything, but could boot to El Cap on another drive if I had to).

I had used it previously on High Sierra, and can use it right now on Mojave. However, I forgot that this program won't output .flac, it only outputs .wav, so it doesn't actually fit the original need posted here without an additional step using another program to losslessly compress the .wav to .flac.

Moreover, we are getting off-topic for this thread, and as stated above in previous posts, one should avoid transcoding DSD to PCM wherever possible anyway. If I had to do it on macOS, I'd use Sonore DSD2FLAC for sure.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

52 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I had used it previously on High Sierra, and can use it right now on Mojave. However, I forgot that this program won't output .flac, it only outputs .wav, so it doesn't actually fit the original need posted here without an additional step using another program to losslessly compress the .wav to .flac.

Moreover, we are getting off-topic for this thread, and as stated above in previous posts, one should avoid transcoding DSD to PCM wherever possible anyway. If I had to do it on macOS, I'd use Sonore DSD2FLAC for sure.

Mikey, While others may be thinking about using it to convert file formats, I was more interested in it's editing capabilities on DSD files to see if it could clean up some transitions. I apologize if that was off-topic, I didn't think it was.

Regards