IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 11/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, B&WQuad said:

Thanks, I solved the problem simply by pressing the CTRL button during the launch of the .jar (not to mix-up with the CMD button). Seems to solve the issue in Catalina

I am also trying to get this to run on Catalina as it was working before on Sierra. I downloaded the sacd_extract-MACOS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2019-03-21.zaip Once I moved the folder with the jar file and sacd_extract from my external hard drive to my Macbook internal flash drive and use the CTRL button when launching the .jar it would run the sacd_extract..My problem is that once I hit run, it immediately shows a [DONE] message and I do not hear any spin up of my Oppo 103D reading the disk. I got the same result whether I chose to RIP an ISO or a 2 channel DSF. Is there something I am missing on the SACDExtractGUI options when I do this? Thanks

image.thumb.png.f07beb02751c6737f2f1e69feba26bb2.png

2 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I am also trying to get this to run on Catalina as it was working before on Sierra. I downloaded the sacd_extract-MACOS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2019-03-21.zaip Once I moved the folder with the jar file and sacd_extract from my external hard drive to my Macbook internal flash drive and use the CTRL button when launching the .jar it would run the sacd_extract..My problem is that once I hit run, it immediately shows a [DONE] message and I do not hear any spin up of my Oppo 103D reading the disk. I got the same result whether I chose to RIP an ISO or a 2 channel DSF. Is there something I am missing on the SACDExtractGUI options when I do this? Thanks

image.thumb.png.f07beb02751c6737f2f1e69feba26bb2.png

Re-specify the path to sacd_extract using the Browse button the Program field (overwrite what is currently in that field).

Also ensure that you've made sacd_extract a Unix executable, which is required for both the Linux and macOS versions of the package.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

46 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Re-specify the path to sacd_extract using the Browse button the Program field (overwrite what is currently in that field).

Also ensure that you've made sacd_extract a Unix executable, which is required for both the Linux and macOS versions of the package.

I did the chmod +x sacd_extract after I navigated to the correct folder.  That seemed to work. I then renavigated to the sacd_extract as you suggested and I got this message again. I used the sacd_extract from the zip file as opposed to compiling it from the source. I was less sure about my ability to do that  

image.thumb.png.589b564dd72f7b25bc1756431ea08401.png

image.png.c28f53f8486c3f77b1e8ff7d11250ae1.png

On 3/15/2020 at 8:01 PM, Robby G said:

Try pressing the control button when opening the file.  If you get the warning, click on the "?" button and follow the directions to override the malware protection.

I wish there was a beep or something when ripping is finished.

So this is what ended up working for me in terms of ripping on Catalina.

1) copy sacd_extract folder to my Downloads folder and rename to SACD_Rips

2) CTRL-click on sacd-extract binary and chose "Open With"  and chose 'Terminal Program"

3) Open Terminal program from "Utilities" 

4) cd Downloads/SACD_Rips

5) to rip stereo tracks to DSF I execute the following command    

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.156:2002 -2 -s   (insert your Oppo 10x or other Blu-Ray player ip address)

On 3/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, alexanderdemaet said:

My Cambridge azur 752bd cannot play dsf music which I burned on a data dvd

You'd either need to burn an SACD-R, or connect a flash drive, hard drive, or a network drive to play back a DSF file. I'm able to play back using my Oppo player, which I understand is functionally the same unit. One caveat with SACD-R playback is that, a firmware update removed this ability, at least on the Oppo-branded unit. 

There is plenty of support available for playback of DSD audio elsewhere in this forum. This thread is meant to address extracting the audio from the disc, which it seems you've successfully completed (congrats!).

Hope it's ok to post this here. Seems like a lot of Oppo experts, so here goes: I’m usually good at this kind of thing myself, but I must have set something up wrong, and want to see if there’s anyone in this group with a solution. I have two Blu-Ray players which also play SACD. A Sony unit, and an Oppo BDP-103; both feed into my Yamaha Rx-A 680, via HDMI. The issue is that when trying to play an SACD on the Oppo, it’s being converted to PCM, instead of being played as DSD. Doesn’t happen with the Sony. Informed suggestions welcome. TIA.

37 minutes ago, David_B said:

Hope it's ok to post this here. Seems like a lot of Oppo experts, so here goes: I’m usually good at this kind of thing myself, but I must have set something up wrong, and want to see if there’s anyone in this group with a solution. I have two Blu-Ray players which also play SACD. A Sony unit, and an Oppo BDP-103; both feed into my Yamaha Rx-A 680, via HDMI. The issue is that when trying to play an SACD on the Oppo, it’s being converted to PCM, instead of being played as DSD. Doesn’t happen with the Sony. Informed suggestions welcome. TIA.

Assuming that the Oppo BDP-103 interface is the same as my BDP-105, you simply go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Format Setup/SACD Output. You then have a choice of Auto, PCM or DSD.

Hi there.

I was so happy to stumble across this thread and realize that I could at last extract the DSD info from my SACD hybrid discs and load them onto my server. I've gone through seven discs so far and had complete success with four of them. I'm looking for some help to understand what's happening with the other three, even if it's just pointing me to the right forum. In brief, on some of the ripped tracks the timing information that my streamer sees is way out of whack with what is on the disc. Here are the relevant details of my system and what I have done so far.

I am using an Innuos Zen 2 server connected via ethernet to a Naim NDS streamer/DAC. I'm using the Naim app to play the music. 

I used the Sonore iso2dsd_gui to extract the dsd files from my Oppo 103, using the dual channel setting, DSF format and DST to DSD conversion enabled. I then edited the metadata with Music Brainz Picard and imported the files into the Innuos Zen 2. 

In the Naim app, three tracks from three of the discs have significant errors in the track time information. Most importantly, the tracks don't play for the right time. A specific example is track 3 on the San Francisco Symphony / Michael Tilson-Thomas recording of Mahler's 4th Symphony. The actual time is 25:27. My Naim app shows 5 seconds, and that's how much is played before the system moves on the the next track. The other three movements are fine.

The music library of the Innuos Zen 2 shows the correct timing and the size of the DSF files on the server seem to have the correct relative sizes, e.g., the 3rd movement is 2.7 times as long as the 4th movement and the file sizes are in the same proportion. So there doesn't seem to be a problem with incomplete extraction of data from the disc.

There's a similar problem with the Ricardo Chailly / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra recording of Mahler's 9th on Decca. The second and third movements are fine; the first and fourth movements are barely 20% as long as the should be.

Is the length of the tracks or the file size the issue? All three of the problem tracks are 25 to 30 minutes in duration and the files are just over 1 GB each. All the other tracks that play successfully are significantly shorter. 

Any suggestions for next steps would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, JSchmidt said:

Any suggestions for next steps would be much appreciated.

What happens if you initiate playback from a browser using my.innuos.com to access the InnuOS app?

If you see the correct file sizes and playtimes on the server that suggests nothing at all wrong with the rips themselves, but some sort of UPnP playback issue between the Innuos server and the Naim streamer/endpoint.

I'm curious how the InnuOS app allows playback as opposed to the Naim app. I only have very limited experience with the Naim app, my sister has a Mu-so Qb, and she ended up liking the JRemote app better than the Naim app used as control point, though obviously that's with a JRiver server, but she thought JRemote more stable less quirky than the Naim app for playback.

This is almost certainly a playback issue and thus rather off-topic for the ripping thread, perhaps there is an existing Naim streamer specific playback thread that already has these answers?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Thanks for that quick reply. 

I will try initiating playback from the Innuos tomorrow; need to refresh my memory on how it's done.

Another experiment that I tried after making the original post was to stream the tracks through the Oppo, using the Oppo media app. This worked fine, so it does seem to be a playback issue with the Naim app.

5 minutes ago, JSchmidt said:

I will try initiating playback from the Innuos tomorrow; need to refresh my memory on how it's done.

As I understand it, it's done via any web browser accessing my.innuos.com.

While I have no direct experience using that app, it appears in screenshots and description to be pretty polished, so perhaps that's the easy answer, just as my sister found with her Mu-so Qb and JRemote.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Here's an update, starting with a shout out to Eugen for patiently walking me through his revised sacd_extract and generally helping me up my game a tad.

I also posted about this on the Naim community forum and a user there said that he had the same problem with an NDS. Naim acknowledged that there is a problem with that generation of their streamers reading DSF files larger than 1 GB. A firmware fix was promised, but has yet to appear. 

In the meantime, I have found another solution. I used the freely available TASCAM hi-res editor to convert the DSF files to 96/24 WAV files. It worked - at least for my Mahler 4th recording. The timing is correct in the Naim app and the track plays correctly. I noticed that the WAV file of the problematic track was smaller than the DSF, a little over 800 MB. I will try in the next few days to see if this will also work for the long movements in my Mahler 3rd and 9th recordings.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread for ripping SACD's. I have a couple that I would like to to rip. I happen to have a Sony BDP-S580. Has anyone ever tried to use this player to rip a SACD? It does not work for me but maybe it is my procedure. I have copied the Autoscript folder to a USB and plugged that in. Then started the player and all it does it go to the main menu and show me that I have a USB drive plugged in. In my Autoscript folder I have three files, AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract. If I open up AutoScript in an editor I see this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

Have I the correct AutoScript and have I followed the correct procedure? Is there a way of knowing if this player will work or is it just trial and error? I know that there is a list of known working players and I can get one of those if necessary but I was hoping to use the one I have as it plays SACD's just fine.

1 hour ago, rmmeli said:

I just discovered this thread for ripping SACD's. I have a couple that I would like to to rip. I happen to have a Sony BDP-S580. Has anyone ever tried to use this player to rip a SACD? It does not work for me but maybe it is my procedure. I have copied the Autoscript folder to a USB and plugged that in. Then started the player and all it does it go to the main menu and show me that I have a USB drive plugged in. In my Autoscript folder I have three files, AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract. If I open up AutoScript in an editor I see this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

Have I the correct AutoScript and have I followed the correct procedure? Is there a way of knowing if this player will work or is it just trial and error? I know that there is a list of known working players and I can get one of those if necessary but I was hoping to use the one I have as it plays SACD's just fine.

While that is not the correct AutoScript for a Sony player (you have the Oppo script), it's actually a moot point in the case of the S580, that unit is known to be incompatible, it was tested previously.

Choose one from the known working list instead, unless you happen to also have the high-end Denon DBT-3313UD, that one was discovered working only a few weeks ago and to date has not been added to the known working list here to the best of my knowledge. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

The following is an updated list of Blu-ray player brands/models known to be SACD rip compatible:

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)

BDP-S790 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

BDP-S7200 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-80FD
BDP-160
BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-103 and 103D
BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
Azur 752BD
CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
FMJ UDP411