IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

4 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Mikey, While others may be thinking about using it to convert file formats, I was more interested in it's editing capabilities on DSD files to see if it could clean up some transitions. I apologize if that was off-topic, I didn't think it was.

Regards

No problem at all, and that is on-topic in my opinion, much more so than any DSD-PCM conversion discussion.

If you find that it can be used in that way please do post about it, especially if it can be done without any PCM conversion step!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

30 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Wow......tough crowd.  I will back off (my own thread).

No, not at all, I guess you missed this part:

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

and that is on-topic in my opinion

Further, when @BluRay444 then made further mention of what he wanted to use the TASCAM software for, I absolutely encouraged further discussion.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

No problem at all, and that is on-topic in my opinion, much more so than any DSD-PCM conversion discussion.

If you find that it can be used in that way please do post about it, especially if it can be done without any PCM conversion step!

Thanks Mikey, relieved to hear I'm not crossing the line. At this point I'm in the 'information gathering' mode- I downloaded the software and notes and whatever stuff I could scrape about the installation and capabilities (which was sparse), and thanks for letting me know that I can in fact run it on High Sierra- that was a relief, and now I've got to go back to the project I was working on before I took a small break, building up 2 High Sierra workstations and a High Sierra mini to run iTunes w/Airplay 2 as a server for iOS devices around around my hut.

If anything comes of the Editor, I'll be back to let you know.

Regards

MikeyFresh, sorry, my bad. 

BluRay444, I would be VERY surprised if any ediitor can edit DSD files without going to DXD, best case.  DSD is not an editable beast.  Anxious to hear your findings.

6 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Thanks Mikey, relieved to hear I'm not crossing the line.

Certainly not, and that was why I used the word "we" in my original post... "we" would of course include me. I wasn't looking to admonish anyone, nor stifle any conversation, except to the extent that I limited my own participation in DSD-PCM conversion discussion, as I do not personally convert DSD to PCM nor do I wholeheartedly recommend it. Your clarification on interest in the TASCAM software's full capabilities is duly noted.

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

I will back off (my own thread).

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

Seems silly to me though (and on topic).

She's all yours, same as it ever was. Over and out.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

17 hours ago, ted_b said:

MikeyFresh, sorry, my bad. 

BluRay444, I would be VERY surprised if any ediitor can edit DSD files without going to DXD, best case.  DSD is not an editable beast.  Anxious to hear your findings.

Disappointing news, but I have no doubt that you know more than I do about it's capabilities; the whole point of my interest in it was to see what it's capabilities were; now I'm sorry I asked. I'm going skulk off now with my tail between my legs and hope that everybody forgets about this in a year or two, and then I'll be back...

2 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Disappointing news, but I have no doubt that you know more than I do about it's capabilities; the whole point of my interest in it was to see what it's capabilities were; now I'm sorry I asked. I'm going skulk off now with my tail between my legs and hope that everybody forgets about this in a year or two, and then I'll be back...

I'm sorry you feel that way.  It would be great if you investigated further; maybe the Tascam edits easily (and goes to DXD and back unbeknownst of the user).

4 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

My understanding is that even in professional recording studios, engineers who record in DSD usually have to convert the DSD files to PCM (DXD) when editing/mixing, etc.  Those who have the Sony (?) Sonoma Workstation may be able to skip this conversion, but I suspect that device is expensive and many studios don't have one.  That is why I have seen some reviewers who will not recommend a digital download in the DSD format, especially if the original master is PCM or visa versa.  I have also seen reviewers who will like a particular album, but not recommend the vinyl if the original is mastered digitally.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, BluRay444 said:

Mikey, While others may be thinking about using it to convert file formats, I was more interested in it's editing capabilities on DSD files to see if it could clean up some transitions. I apologize if that was off-topic, I didn't think it was.

Regards

I've used the free software that works with the Korg MR2000S to clean up transitions. More recently, I've used the free Teac Hi-Res Editor to do editing of DSD files made with a Playback Designs Pinot ADC, as well as doing file conversion. It works very well. Now, whether it is converting DSD to DXD and back again, I have no idea. However, doing A/B/A/B/A/B. . .  comparisons before and after DSD editing I can't tell any difference between the original DSD file and the edited one. My system is fairly transparent.

Something to look at, anyway.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

4 minutes ago, zettelsm said:

I've used the free software that works with the Korg MR2000S to clean up transitions. More recently, I've used the free Teac Hi-Res Editor to do editing of DSD files made with a Playback Designs Pinot ADC, as well as doing file conversion. It works very well. Now, whether it is converting DSD to DXD and back again, I have no idea. However, doing A/B/A/B/A/B. . .  comparisons before and after DSD editing I can't tell any difference between the original DSD file and the edited one. My system is fairly transparent.

Something to look at, anyway.

Steve Z

The Teac editor is converting to PCM then back to DSD. If you bring in the files and compare them in Audition, you will see changes to the file even without doing any editing at all

1 hour ago, mlknez said:

The Teac editor is converting to PCM then back to DSD. If you bring in the files and compare them in Audition, you will see changes to the file even without doing any editing at all

Have you looked MP4 Stream Editor?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

23 hours ago, mlknez said:

Thanks for that information. Since I hear no difference between original and edited version, I'm not concerned that the conversion and back again is occurring.

I understand that others may feel differently.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, zettelsm said:

Since I hear no difference between original and edited version, I'm not concerned that the conversion and back again is occurring.

What @Redbeemer said above is also my experience. Sony Sonoma systems are the only known way to stay in DSD. Most DAWs can't handle DSD to begin with. Those that can (Pyramix, older versions of Sadie) have to make a DSD to DXD PCM conversion to make any edits (or any processing), then convert back to DSD. This should be seamless and (in theory) inaudible to the user but it's good to be aware it's happening. 

As you've all sorted though, this only makes a difference if you're editing the music itself, not so much if you're simply removing movement or piece breaks, etc. 

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and thread and apologise in advance if this question has been posted/answered. 

Investigating converting SACD for playback via a NAS sees me looking at buying a secondhand Oppo 103 which has its original firmware BDP10X-38-1220.  

Does the firmware version come into play at all when performing the conversion?

Am I better off sticking with the original release or upgrading it. Do newer versions of the firmware “break” the ability to convert SACD?

Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

No it does not, all official firmware versions are working to date.

I'd say leave it alone, you should be able to rip with the firmware on that machine so long as it is not some sort of hacked/unofficial version.

No, there are no reports of that on any compatible player, including the Oppo 103, which is a model I own.

Thanks Heaps @MikeyFresh for the lightning quick reply. 

12 hours ago, PLB02 said:

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and thread and apologise in advance if this question has been posted/answered. 

Investigating converting SACD for playback via a NAS sees me looking at buying a secondhand Oppo 103 which has its original firmware BDP10X-38-1220.  

Does the firmware version come into play at all when performing the conversion?

Am I better off sticking with the original release or upgrading it. Do newer versions of the firmware “break” the ability to convert SACD?

Thanks. 

No, I have an Oppo BDP-103D with the latest firmware and I used it to rip all of my SACD's to DSD without any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all contributors in this thread and the generosity of those creating software to facilitate the process of backing up my SACD's. Have just received my Oppo BDP-103AU and successfully migrated the DSD to my NAS.  I also had a go at creating an ISO.  Brilliant and process is seamless provided you follow the instructions.  I initially did not create the AutoScript folder to put the 3 files in the root directory of the USB disk. A quick re-read of the instructions  in this thread and establishing the AutoSript folder I was able to start the process.

Currently figuring out the best way to convert the DSD files to a high rez FLAC format and pull metadata from the ISO created....if possible,

Again, many thanks.

Cheers