IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Sort of !! If I unplug the player from the 230 volt. Plug it on again. Insert the usb-pen. Turn on the player with the remote. The player reads from the pen and opens the tray. Fine !! If I then turn off the player with the remote (the tray will close) and turn it on again with the remote the tray will not open but it will read from the usb-pen (led on usb-pen is blinking). I can do this again and again and the tray will never open even though the player reads from the pen every time. If I then unplug the player from 230 volt and plug it in again. Turn on the player with the remote the tray will open after the player has read from the USB-pen. That's is just how it is. The player works alright in all player-functions / functionality as a bluray player. Nothing is damaged.

My player has the latest software v. 2.19

I am looking for a relevant Sony model by now !!

22 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

Sort of !! If I unplug the player from the 230 volt. Plug it on again. Insert the usb-pen. Turn on the player with the remote. The player reads from the pen and opens the tray. Fine !! If I then turn off the player with the remote (the tray will close) and turn it on again with the remote the tray will not open but it will read from the usb-pen (led on usb-pen is blinking). I can do this again and again and the tray will never open even though the player reads from the pen every time. If I then unplug the player from 230 volt and plug it in again. Turn on the player with the remote the tray will open after the player has read from the USB-pen. That's is just how it is. The player works alright in all player-functions / functionality as a bluray player. Nothing is damaged.

My player has the latest software v. 2.19

I am looking for a relevant Sony model by now !!

Tray opens itself or not doesn't matter. For me, I open it by pressing the eject button and press it again to close it. I use the telnet method and everything is fine.

24 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

Sort of !! If I unplug the player from the 230 volt. Plug it on again. Insert the usb-pen. Turn on the player with the remote. The player reads from the pen and opens the tray. Fine

At this point put in a SACD and follow the steps for ripping.

I don't understand why you turn it off after the tray comes out.

10 minutes ago, likearollingstone said:

it was my understanding that then the disc wasn't "active" so the ripping software can proceed

I think you're confusing the regular Pioneer/Oppo server method with the Sony sleep-server method, which indeed proceeds after the player has been turned off.  But sleep-server method is exclusive to the Sonys.

In any event, @nUUK25 why don't you try my suggestion and put the SACD disc in and insert it, keep the player on, and try the instructions for the usual server method with a Pioneer.

When I insert a SACD (Hybrid type) - close the tray with the remote and return to the PC and start up the software I get the connection error message in the software I have already mentioned.

What are the so called Pioneer / Oppo server method step by step ?

37 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

When I insert a SACD (Hybrid type) - close the tray with the remote and return to the PC and start up the software I get the connection error message in the software I have already mentioned.

What are the so called Pioneer / Oppo server method step by step ?

@nUUK25, have you attempted to establish a Telnet connection to your player as a first step toward troubleshooting and helping other people in their efforts to help you?

The fact that the drawer opens confirms that the script is executing. If the script is executing then it can execute the command to launch the Telnet daemon and thereby facilitate methodical troubleshooting as opposed to bouncing around off of pixel walls akin to a retro Pong game.

52 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

The fact that the drawer opens confirms that the script is executing. If the script is executing then it can execute the command to launch the Telnet daemon and thereby facilitate methodical troubleshooting.

Don't forget though, on "unproven" players, this could be misleading.  I have the CA751BD (not the 752) and the chipset is very similar but different to the one that "works".  I can get the script to run, eject the tray etc. but I can *never* get the sacd/telnet daemon to run on my player, or at least, not get it to listen on the network (on any port, I've done a comprehensive port scan of the player).  I have tried everything I can think of, and spent quite some time on it, but never managed to make it work.

So, the script running and ejecting the tray does not mean you'll have success with being able to connect to the player over the network (via any of sacd_extract/ISO2DSD/Telnet).

Fingers crossed though, it's always nice to add players to the (fully) supported list! (I ended up getting a cheap Sony BDP-S490 just for ripping, instead).

Cheers,

Matt.

47 minutes ago, nUUK25 said:

I have not tried to establish any telnet connection in order to troubleshoot !! What rare the steps ?

You should do a search for general help with understanding how to use the telnet tool, but roughly speaking, you can use it to "test" connect to any device listening on a network (like, hopefully your player).

(this seems like a decent guide: https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/telnet/ )

E.G.

(type the command):

telnet<space> <IP address of your player><space>2002

You're looking for a "connected to" type message (not a "Connection Refused" (or a timeout) type message)

Also, before you try telnet (or a port scan), make sure you can "ping" your player:

ping <IP address of your player>

All of these suggestions are in this (monster) thread alrready, many times, but I understand, it might be hard to find them...

HTH!

On 1/4/2019 at 8:45 AM, mutant_matt said:

Don't forget though, on "unproven" players, this could be misleading.  I have the CA751BD (not the 752) and the chipset is very similar but different to the one that "works".  I can get the script to run, eject the tray etc. but I can *never* get the sacd/telnet daemon to run on my player, or at least, not get it to listen on the network (on any port, I've done a comprehensive port scan of the player).  I have tried everything I can think of, and spent quite some time on it, but never managed to make it work.

So, the script running and ejecting the tray does not mean you'll have success with being able to connect to the player over the network (via any of sacd_extract/ISO2DSD/Telnet).

Fingers crossed though, it's always nice to add players to the (fully) supported list! (I ended up getting a cheap Sony BDP-S490 just for ripping, instead).

Cheers,

Matt.

Good point. I fully concur. I suppose if the telnet daemon is disabled or otherwise blocked in a given player’s embedded Linux, then that would take telnet off the table without necessarily preventing sacd_extract from running and communicating over the network.

Nevertheless, I think focusing on telnet is generally the most sensible step to take as soon as it becomes clear that the Holy Grail of turnkey success on the first go is not in the cards. 

BTW, just a reminder that we all used to believe that Telnet wouldn’t work on the Oppo [ RIP 😢⚰️ ] players. It turned out that some players require “inetd” to launch telnet and others require “telnetd”. I don’t recall which is which atm, but if you only attempted one on your specific player you might want to try the other just for the data point if nothing else. 

🍻 Dick 

Hello,

My first post!! And Hi all.🙋‍♂️

The question I have is: 

Is there a specific script to use to upload to a USB, when I will be using a Cambridge Azur 752BD player to attempt to rip my SACD collection.

I have read the details on page one and other pages. I cannot find any actual information on what /how to use with the Azur.

Any pointers or help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike

On 5/28/2018 at 11:28 PM, emiliocb said:

?? Therefore, the cheapest is the best

Right, and this is the correct answer. But I remember reading that people were comparing rips using different USB cables to their CD drives. And different power supplies for the same drives. There were folks swearing that even though the bits were identical (as confirmed by some file comparison) the result sounded different (of course better with the better USB cables and ultra expensive linear PSUs for the CD reader) and they shared files. Sadly, these folks were dead serious. I forgot on which forum but I nearly cried reading that. There are indeed many incredibly stupid folks among us audiophiles.

Roberto

I can give another independent confirmation that the SONY BDP-S5100 with the latest firmware (M15.R.0255) works well as I have successfully ripped a SACD with it. Now I have a Pioneer BDP-170 and this one and fingers crossed they will serve me for many years :) The two and my old hacked PS3 output identical files (and they also sound the same *grin*).

Roberto

Hello,

I have a Sony BDP-S4100 (fw = M15.R.0255) and I followed all the procedure.

10mn later I got my 1st extraction successfully through DSD2ISO on my Windows10 computer.

Very simple...

A few minutes later, I tried to rip other SACDs...I never had any success since (even with the same disc I was ripping the 1st time).

Except configuration, I tried everything = reboot PC, reboot rooter (Internet box).

I also tried to execute the extraction throuh a command line (of course same behaviour, ISO2DSD is just a GUI above).

2 scenarios :

assuming that IP address of the player is 192.168.0.18

I ping from my PC ==> OK until I launch extraction from DSD2ISO

1)Sometimes I have no log in ISO2DSD and IP address cannot be reached anymore (or when I asked 192.168.0.18 the answer was on 192.168.0.23!!! ). In that case, the Sony player is completely stuck and I have to unplug it.

2)Sometimes I just have 

Failed to connect 

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.18:2002 for reading 

I also tried to avoid automatic config and set myself a fixed IP address in the Sony player ==> same.

Remember that it was working the 1st time, without configuring anything except (automatic) IP address of the player into DSD2ISO.

Now I can tell you that my PC is behind another router and its IP address id 192.168.1.XXX

So I decide to plug the Sony player on the same router and when I look at the automatic IP address I get 192.168.1.186

==>OK, I just have to change it on DSD2ISO

Same behaviour (cf screen capture)

I have no idea what to do.

The guy who lent me his player has already ripped many discs

I ripped myself my 1st disc

==>I cannot imagine that suddenly the Sony player has network issue...

Thank you for your help!

RIP_SACD_Issue.JPG

strange_ping.JPG

8 hours ago, stof said:

Sometimes I have no log in ISO2DSD and IP address cannot be reached anymore (or when I asked 192.168.0.18 the answer was on 192.168.0.23!!! )

8 hours ago, stof said:

I cannot imagine that suddenly the Sony player has network issue...

But it looks like the Sony has a network issue to the extent that the IP address assigned by your router keeps changing.

So you need to get that straight.  The Sony has a network info page that will tell you what its IP Address is at any given moment.

If you want to take your troubleshooting to the next level, you should consider making a telnet connection to the player.

51 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

If you want to take your troubleshooting to the next level, you should consider making a telnet connection to the player.

telnet 192.168.1.186

"Impossible to open a connection to the host on port 23 : connection failure"

==>I don't see any option in the Sony player to give more authorization or to know the port to use in telnet command.

16 minutes ago, stof said:

telnet 192.168.1.186

"Impossible to open a connection to the host on port 23 : connection failure"

==>I don't see any option in the Sony player to give more authorization or to know the port to use in telnet command.

Telnet (in fact telnetd/inetd) would only be running on your player if you have the Autoscript script on the USB stick which starts it, the stick is in the player, and when you turned it on, it opened the drawer.  Telnetd/inetd running on your player (if it were running), would be listening on port 23.  You can also use telnet on your computer though, to do a test connect to port 2002, where the player should be "listening" with the "standard" Autoscript SACD_extract binary, but only as a connectivity test.

I would either assign a permanent DHCP reservation in your Router for the player, or, if you set the IP address manually on the player, to ensure that the address you choose is outside the DHCP range that the router supplies (otherwise, you could be getting IP conflicts (which can cause all sorts of strange behaviour, and can be hard to diagnose!))

Get a reliable ping working first, over multiple reboots of the player, before trying anything else :)

The telnet test ( "telnet <IP_address_of_player> 2002" is a useful connectivity test to see if the SACD_extract binary is running on the player (and listening on the network port 2002, which you need for the SACD_extract.exe/ISO2DSD tools to work).  On my player (CA751BD), which this toolset isn't intended for, I got it running the SACD_extract binary, it opened the draw, but using telnet (and a port scan) from my PC, I was able to prove that it was never listening on port 2002 (or any port (in your case it has worked, and you have a supported player, so you should be able to get it to work again, obviously)).

HTH!

Thank you.

Regarding the ping <IP_address_of_player>, as I said before : the test is always successfull as long as I don't run the  "sacd_extract" command from my PC.

And even (cf capture in my previous message) in my last tests :  I can get libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.18:2002 for reading and (at the same time) the ping still working properly.

When you say "ensure that the address you choose is [not?] outside the DHCP range that the router supplies" didn't you forget the [not]?

Anyway, currently I didn't choose myself the IP address when I use 192.168.1.186 : it is from automatical attribution.

Otherwise is there another way to get extraction directly into USB stick? If I can't find the way to make my computer communicate (gain) with the Sony player, maybe the player can do it itself?

I will try "telnet <IP_address_of_player> 2002" in 5h from now when I get home to see if I can learn something more and I tell you what I see.