IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have successfully ripped most of my SACDs using a Pioneer BDP 170.  I am hoping to get a Sony BDP 490 which is also 'on the list'.  Will the thumb drive that I made for the Pioneer work with the Sony?  If not where can I get info on how to set up a similar thumb drive for the Sony please?

I'd like to thank all the people that contributed to enabling SACDs ripping on the Sony BDP-S590. It's really amazing and a joy to be able to do it on such cheap device.

I'm planning on doing a doc specific to the S590, as I feel today that all the information needed to do a successful rip on this equipment is quite a bit all over the thread (and the net itself).

I have successfully ripped most of my SACDs using a OPPO 103 and a MacBook. Now, in the last days, i have some problems with some SACD that i can't ripping...there are always some errors 

Sacd are, for example:

Don Quijote - Jordi Savall - Alia Vox AVSA9843

El Cant de la Sibilla - Jordi Savall - Alia Vox AVSA 9879

Debussy- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli ESOTERIC ESSG 90160

Albinoni . Adagio - Herbert von Karajan SHM SACD UCGG 9035

i have tried different copies, but i haven't ripped it...

Someone has a solution please

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

Corrado from Italy

6 hours ago, talli said:

Sacd are, for example:

Don Quijote - Jordi Savall - Alia Vox AVSA9843

El Cant de la Sibilla - Jordi Savall - Alia Vox AVSA 9879

Debussy- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli ESOTERIC ESSG 90160

Albinoni . Adagio - Herbert von Karajan SHM SACD UCGG 9035

The Artist/album/track name combinations are too long.

I forgot what all the available solution(s) are for this issue, but I'm pretty sure @bogi has Windows software to address that problem (ISO2DSF ?).

See this thread and maybe this one too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

talli can't rip it means can't create ISO from some SACD disks. For that situation I don't have a medicine. ISO2DSD takes an already existing SACD ISO file as input. Maybe Ted can help.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I have ripped the Savall disc successfully, to ISO (Windows 10, Pioneer player)

BTW, this is a digital recording from 1988 (the DSD rip spectrogram is strictly limited to 22kHz), so as far as stereo goes, you're not missing out on much compared to ripping the CD layer.

https://www.discogs.com/Montserrat-Figueras-La-Capella-Reial-De-Catalunya-Jordi-Savall-El-Cant-de-la-Sibilla-I-Catalunya/release/6873120

Claude

Assuming they are the same mix etc, re cd layer ...

Thanks, good info on the Catalunya Savall - wonder how many of his recordings this applies to?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

The Alia Vox *Heritage* releases are reissues of recordings from the 1980's and 90's.

Some of them are digital, and therefore in 16/44 resolution. This is not mentioned in the booklet (resolution is usually only mentioned in the Alia Vox booklets when it is hi-res or analogue), but when looking up the CD releases, you can check if they are AAD or DDD.

I don't listen to multi-channel, so I don't need to know what they did to get the multichannel layer. But I suspect it's just some electronic re-channeling (rear signals generated from the front channels), not a proper re-mix from a multi-track recording.

Claude

2 hours ago, CatManDo said:

I don't listen to multi-channel, so I don't need to know what they did to get the multichannel layer. But I suspect it's just some electronic re-channeling (rear signals generated from the front channels), not a proper re-mix from a multi-track recording.

Possibly but they tend to do a pretty good job of it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 12/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, W49n3r said:

I'd like to thank all the people that contributed to enabling SACDs ripping on the Sony BDP-S590. It's really amazing and a joy to be able to do it on such cheap device.

I'm planning on doing a doc specific to the S590, as I feel today that all the information needed to do a successful rip on this equipment is quite a bit all over the thread (and the net itself).

I have ripped most of my SACDs using a borrowed Pioneer BDP - 170, and the set of instructions by HiRezGuy at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0

I have now bought a Sony BDP490 and I am told above (thanks) that the thumb drive I created for the Pioneer will work fine with the Sony.  However, I have not managed to start ripping yet.  The set up menus for the Sony are different (as you would expect) and so I cannot do things like setting the permanent IP address or disable auto play etc.

I think the set up for the Sony590 should be very similar to the 490, and so I would be very grateful if you could give me some help on setting the 490 up - how did you do it for the 590?

Thanks

Mitch

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

IThe set up menus for the Sony are different (as you would expect) and so I cannot do things like setting the permanent IP address or disable auto play etc.

I think the set up for the Sony590 should be very similar to the 490, and so I would be very grateful if you could give me some help on setting the 490 up - how did you do it for the 590?

As I said, I'm not bringing any new info, just experience from gathering it any doing the ripping. I didn't go the "ripping to USB" route because I find ripping using the network is neater and the chance of running into filesystem and USB device issues is zero.

As I understand it, the procedure on the Sony 2012 lineup is different from the Pioneer on two aspects (don't have a Pioneer, but read about it):

1 - The device firmware must not have been patched for the "bug" that enables ripping. On the 590 the firmware must be M12.R.0430 or older. There's a site that instructs how to go about the firmware downgrading if needed (http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html). One additional obstacle this introduces is that finding the firmware files (it's Sony property so no one wants to host) seems to be getting harder everyday.

2 - You must "unlock" ripping by changing Music settings just before the rip attempt. Just toggle from multichannel to stereo or vice-versa.

I still didn't got around documenting it properly because of end-of-the-year stuff. I'll do it because my future self will probably need it... as the process is anything but intuitive.

One mildly amusing detail: The ripping, at least on the Sony, takes some time to start. At first it throws at you some messages that seem to indicate one more (or less, hehe) failed attempt but after some seconds it goes ahead and start doing it's thing.

Thanks for the super quick reply.  This all sounds a lot more complicated that I thought!  However, I will have a go,  I suppose the first thing is to find out what the firm ware release is for my player - it was serviced before I bought it so I bet the firmware was updated!  Hope I do not have to try and downgrade it!

Unlike the Pioneer it does not seem to be wi fi enabled but I think I can get a 'dongle' to give it a wi fi capability - otherwise I could use a wired connection - I don't suppose that will matter to the ripping process?

I look forward to you putting it down on 'paper' as I am sure a number of others are as well.

Many thanks

Mitch

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

Thanks for the super quick reply.  This all sounds a lot more complicated that I thought!  However, I will have a go,  I suppose the first thing is to find out what the firm ware release is for my player - it was serviced before I bought it so I bet the firmware was updated!  Hope I do not have to try and downgrade it!

Unlike the Pioneer it does not seem to be wi fi enabled but I think I can get a 'dongle' to give it a wi fi capability - otherwise I could use a wired connection - I don't suppose that will matter to the ripping process?

I look forward to you putting it down on 'paper' as I am sure a number of others are as well.

Happy Holidays to all!

There are no known cases of any specific firmware not working with the Sony models, for now absolutely don't worry about it at all, the firmware you have is almost certain to work.

The S490 does not have integrated WiFi and a dongle may or may not work, there you are on your own, Sony sold their own dongle as an add-on and that of course works, I'm not sure where you would find a compatibility list or chipset information on the Sony WiFi dongle that could lead you in the right direction for something similar. If you have a dongle already, try it.

In terms of the actual process, while flipping the music settings from stereo to multi-channel (or vice versa) does work, it is a bit of extra work in that it requires the use of an on-screen display and menu navigation, so not optimal.

The preferred method that is both easier and does not require any on-screen display/menu navigation other than the initial set-up in settings is a single step called the Sony sleep method. It was detailed in this thread at least 2 or 3 times already, have you looked at all for any of that information using the search function?

Here it is in video form.

Here are written instructions:

Step 1: Power on Sony S490

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive dongle/AutoScript runs/tray opens automatically/load SACD but don't close tray

Step 3: Power down Sony S490/tray closes automatically/display flashes OFF/player sleeps/AutoScript gains root access control

Step 4: Execute rip in ISO2DSD (or SACDExtractGUI) with one click while the S490 is fast asleep

You need to preset the Quick Start mode for "On"... it allows the machine to fast boot (irrelevant for our purposes), and also to enter sleep mode on any power down, as opposed to a complete shut down.

If the WiFi dongle proves troublesome, just locate the S490 nearby your router and connect it via Ethernet.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Ok. I forgot to mention that the firmware issue is related to SACD-R playing and not necessarily SACD ripping. My bad. Anyway, I guess SACD-R playing is something desirable, given the choice.

As for the method, having tried both (and having spare HDMI ports) I happen to prefer the menu method. Oddly enough it seems faster and simpler to me. Anyway, to each their own. As long it works it doesn't matter.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:09 AM, W49n3r said:

1 - The device firmware must not have been patched for the "bug" that enables ripping. On the 590 the firmware must be M12.R.0430 or older.

As @MikeyFresh said, all firmware versions of the 590 up to the last one work for SACD ripping. The point about the firmware is that up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs (SACD .iso images burned on DVD).  This is a nice feature which Sony disabled in later firmware.

8 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The point about the firmware is that up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs (SACD .iso images burned on DVD).  This is a nice feature which Sony disabled in later firmware.

Yeah, I've downgraded my S590 as it enables playing backups (one more reason to do full ISO rips and not just DSDs). I've messed up information on why it was something someone doing rips would be interested in. Sorry for spreading wrong information.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:19 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

What exactly are the errors?

We need more information to figure out what is going wrong.

both AliaVox have the error: 

error creating…errno:92 illegal byte sequence..user cancelled, error removing..no such files or directory

for Esoteric SACD i can extract ISO but when i convert in dsf. i have the same error after 4 tracks...

all the sacd have not problems and i have played it many times...and also ripped the CD layer

thanks

14 minutes ago, talli said:

error creating…errno:92 illegal byte sequence..user cancelled, error removing..no such files or directory

I have never come across that error message or even remember seeing that discussed in this thread (but I might be wrong about the latter.)

I am not an Iso2DSD expert so I do not have any ready advice.

If you are desperate enough, you could try ripping these disks through the other SACD ripping methods (telnet and local ripping) which allow more trouble-shooting of the ripping process.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I am not an Iso2DSD expert so I do not have any ready advice.

Or assuming it is an ISO2DSD error message, he could also give sacd_extract 3.9 and SACDExtractGUI a try to see if that yields a different result.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook