IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 hours ago, rafa said:

I own  Pioneer BDP-170 and I ripped my first disk.  Unfortunately result is only CD layer (ca 700MB) instead DSF.

I executed command from manual: .\sacd_extract -i {BDP_IP_ADDRESS}:2002 -P -I

The file I got is ISO.

To my knowledge, this is the first report of a CD layer being ripped this way. Not sure how that happened...

- JediJoker

Perhaps, or an "Undocumented Feature"☺️

To make it dead simple to use SACD_EXTRACT from the Command prompt [in Windows 7], here are the methods I employ... it's very 'wordy' to explain the steps, but once you have followed them, you'll find it's very easy and fast to do. NOTE: I use this method with an Oppo BDP-103.

First, I created a text file that has the command syntax for every kind of extraction I use:

SACD_EXTRACT_2CH_PHILIPS_DSDIFF_FILES:
c:\SACD_EXTRACT\sacd_extract.exe -i 192.168.1.65:2002 -2 -p -P

SACD_EXTRACT_2CH_SONY_DSF_FILES:
c:\SACD_EXTRACT\sacd_extract.exe -i 192.168.1.65:2002 -2 -s -P

SACD_EXTRACT_MULTICH_PHILIPS_DSDIFF_FILES:
c:\SACD_EXTRACT\sacd_extract.exe -i 192.168.1.65:2002 -m -p -P

SACD_EXTRACT_MULTICH_SONY_DSF_FILES:
c:\SACD_EXTRACT\sacd_extract.exe -i 192.168.1.65:2002 -m -s -P

SACD_EXTRACT_RAW_ISO:
c:\SACD_EXTRACT\sacd_extract.exe -i 192.168.1.65:2002 -P -I

This allows me to copy and paste quickly and without typos. Save this text file somewhere memorable. 

NOTE that you will have to edit the path where SACD_EXTRACT is located to point to the location where you have it, and also change the IP addresses to the ones you've set for yourself.

Do the following one time only, to enable 'QuickEdit Mode' in the command window:
Open a command window. 
Right click on the top bar of the command window.
Select 'Properties' from the context window.
When the Properties window opens- on the right side of the window under the 
'Edit Options' click on the box 'QuickEdit Mode' to select it, then click 'OK'.
The context menu will close.
This enables copying from the command window, so you can paste the track info
to notepad and save it with your extracted files.

Go to the drive or directory where you want your target SACD directory to be created and in which the files will be extracted to. Hold down CTL + Shift and right-click on an empty area. When the context window opens, select "Open command window here". A command window opens.

Highlight and right-click your pre-saved text of the command line that corresponds to the type of extraction (.dsf, .iso, 2-channel, multichannel, etc.) you wish to make from your text file. 
Paste your pre-saved command line by right-clicking in the Command window, hit return and in a few seconds the extraction will commence.

When the extraction is complete, your files will be found in the drive or directory where you opened the command prompt from.

Go to the commmand window and scroll back to the line where the extraction began.
Left click and hold the button down at the beginning of the text in that line and drag all the way to the right, and keeping the left mouse button held down, drag the mouse down to the end of the file information to highlight it. Use the mouse scroll wheel to assist you to reach the end.

Once all the text is high-lighted, release the left mouse button and right click on the highlighted text. The highlighting will go away, but the text will be copied to the clipboard.

Open a Notepad window and right click anywhere in that window and select 'Paste' from the context menu. The text is pasted into Notepad; save with an appropriate name to the directory where your files were saved.
(This can be done by navigating into the directory, at the top of the directory bar, click in open space to the right- the location changes to the 'path' format and is highlighted.
Right click on the highlighted area and select 'Copy' from the context menu, then click on your notepad window. Select 'File', 'Save'- then highlight the asterisk in the 'File name' bar at the bottom of the window and right click on the highlighted asterisk- select 'Save'... the path to where your DSFs are store is now entered. At the end of the path type a backslash [\]and the name that you want to give to the text file [something like 'File Info'], then click on the 'Save' button at the bottom of this window.

Done. You've done your extraction with almost no typing,  just a few clicks, copying and pasting.

10 hours ago, JediJoker said:

To my knowledge, this is the first report of a CD layer being ripped this way. Not sure how that happened...

7 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

To the best of my knowledge that is impossible, he did not rip the CD layer, there is confusion there.

Maybe something went wrong and rip wasn't properly done and thats why I saw unusual file size.

Doesn't matter now. As I said when I used .\sacd_extract -i {BDP_IP_ADDRESS}:2002 -P -s it works perfect and I finished my few other SACD.

All of them sounds great now. My DAC plays DSD much better than pcm.

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

43 minutes ago, Iain said:

Without having to completely read this thread, can someone please clarify what current machines will work correctly to extract SA-CD data.

Without reading  whole thread, it's all on the first page ;) 

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

On 7/20/2016 at 12:32 PM, ted_b said:

Edit: February 2018

A brand new ripping player has been found, the Sony BDP-S590.  Thanks to several members, including Phthalocyanine and Dick Darlington, who's summary instructions post is linked here:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/?page=111&tab=comments#comment-788251

WRT the Sony BDP-S590, will the BDP-S790 work in lieu of the BDP-S590?

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

all attempts to get that machine working by a couple of different testers failed for unknown reasons.

Yes that is my memory too.

@Iain if you already own a S790 and like fooling around with this kind of thing (telnet connections,  command line Linux, etc.) you could give it a new try.

But if you just want to get started ripping, then the models on the list are your best bet.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

if you already own a S790 and like fooling around with this kind of thing (telnet connections,  command line Linux, etc.) you could give it a new try.

I have a BDP-S790, but I know nothing of command-line Linux. OTOH, I'm very familiar with Unix (Sun Solaris and HP-UX) scripting. How much different are Linux shell scripts from Unix shell scripts?

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

The S790 was tested and found to be non-compatible, which is odd in that it does have the correct MediaTek CPU, but unless something changed that I failed to follow, all attempts to get that machine working by a couple of different testers failed for unknown reasons.

I do not own a S790, but tried looking into its latest firmware.  Something suggests that its kernel probably has ARMv7 signature while all the working units are ARMv6l to my knowledge.

The sacd_extract program on the player side loads a kernel module embedded in the program when it is invoked.  The kernel module is intended for ARMv6l, and if the running kernel doesn't match, the module will not be loaded and obviously the sacd_extract program terminates.

Whoever has a S790 can try telneting to it and do this to check the vermagic:

uname -r

On working units like S390, I see this:

Linux sony-player 2.6.35 #1 PREEMPT Sun Nov 30 15:59:53 CST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

2 hours ago, jaynyc said:

Are they the same as Oppo, same as Pioneer, or is there another set of Instructions/ActualSteps tailored for the Sony S590?

There are significant differences for the Sony as opposed to the Oppo and Pioneer.

I'll PM you my guide, which uses one approach -- telnet/local ripping.

Other members have guides for various "server" method approaches that they might point you to too.

Hi,

Long time follower of the forum, I managed to get my hand on a used Oppo 103EU  5 years ago , and I have been ripping lots of SACD since.

Coming back only every few months (well, it's been a while), I just found out that Sony player could be used as well... Imagine my surprise when I went to the kid TV setup to check : sure enough, a Sony S790 I bought without an after though a few years back was there...

I'm telnetting right now into it, and @mindset is right, the kernel is for armv7l :

Linux sony-player 2.6.35 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 7 15:36:08 JST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

So, basically, what we need is the source code of sacd_extract and a toolchain, and we could contemplate adding another player to the list.

Does anyone here know where the original sacd_extract for Oppo or Pioneer came from ?

I'm quite proficient in all things Linux, I think I can give it a try...

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have everything setup as instructed on a Windoze 10 machine, and my player has a hard wired ethernet connection with a static IP and the player, a Pioneer BDP-160 is pingable. I have also updated sacd.cmd with the correct IP address (though I suspect that's only to run the sacd_extract command on my localhost). However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 hours ago, hyendaudio said:

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have everything setup as instructed on a Windoze 10 machine, and my player has a hard wired ethernet connection with a static IP and the player, a Pioneer BDP-160 is pingable. I have also updated sacd.cmd with the correct IP address (though I suspect that's only to run the sacd_extract command on my localhost). However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Not familiar with your particular OS but the sacd_extract client is available for MacOS and Windows only as far as I know. 

Does anyone here know where the original sacd_extract for Oppo or Pioneer came from ?

Rumor has it that it was from a hacker in Kiev, but its origins are shrouded in mystery.

7 hours ago, Knur said:

So, basically, what we need is the source code of sacd_extract and a toolchain, and we could contemplate adding another player to the list.

I don't know if anyone will admit to having the source code.

I don't understand this well because I don't code, but it seems that while there are versions of sacd_extract compiled for the PS3 and for the linux arm 6.1 variant for the Oppo and Pioneer (and Sony), the actual source code is not publicly available.

@mindset or @Dick Darlington maybe you can explain this better.

Well, I kind of guessed that the source code for the fork wasn't easily available. If it somehow manages to surface somewhere, I'll be willing to take a shot.

In the meantime, second-hand S490 are easy to come by and are dirt-cheap these days (40€). I think I'll grab one, just in case...

2 hours ago, Knur said:

Well, I kind of guessed that the source code for the fork wasn't easily available. If it somehow manages to surface somewhere, I'll be willing to take a shot.

In the meantime, second-hand S490 are easy to come by and are dirt-cheap these days (40€). I think I'll grab one, just in case...

Anything useful here?  https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

What is the consensus as to the most reasonably priced, solidly built, and likely, long term reliable, deck that is known to be able to be used for SACD ripping using this process? Unfortunately, I only have my Oppo BDP83 and Oppo UDP-205 and a Sony BDP-S5000ES, none of which will fill the bill. :( A friend was kind enough to rip my reasonably large SACD library for me previously, but no longer has the avaiIability to do so, I'm sure. I would be buying the deck strictly to rip the half dozen or so SACD discs I buy each year.

JC

7 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Concerning the source code that @Kal Rubinson has linked to.

I had a pm discussion with @skepitcal a while back about that, and would be interested in the thoughts of some of the rest of our code-savvy members on this issue.

I said:

I have assumed that the hacker from Kiev used the SACD ripper source code to compile the ripper binary to run on the version of Linux (2.6.35) that runs on the mediatek chipset on the Oppo 103 & 105, Pioneer 160, Sony BDP-S590 etc.  But not being a programmer, I have no idea how any of this specifically works.  The PS-3, for which the first SACD-ripper software was developed, runs a version of Linux, right?

He said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. This kiev hacker seems to have stripped the PS3-specific parts from sacd-ripper and recompiled it for a generic arm6 linux platform, the key thing is to find the forum/thread where it was originally developed to see if there's any info on how he reconfigured it to build for generic arm6. I have a Raspberry Pi, which is essentially an arm6 linux platform, and (as an exercise) just experimented with seeing if I could get it to build on that, but it keeps failing because of a psl1ght dependency (a PS3-specific library).  I've played around with hacking the build files to remove the dependency, but no joy yet.