IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

the most reasonably priced, solidly built, and likely, long term reliable, deck that is known to be able to be used for SACD ripping

On reasonably-priced, you cannot beat the Sonys.  There are a lot of them out there and people donate them to the Goodwill in droves or just leave them out on the street by this point.  Cheap even on E-bay.

Solidly built -- well the Sonys are certainly interior to the Oppo and Pioneer models.  But we've never had a report of SACD ripping failing because of a mechanical fault in a Sony.  (Interestingly enough, some models of the Pioneer had problems like that, even for decks that were new in box.)  The S590 is somewhat better built than the S390.  The Sony models got more cheaply built every year, so the 2013 models (BDP-S5100 & BDP-S4100) are probably slightly less well-built than the 2012 models (S390, S490, S590).  The S790 was the top of the line best=built of the 2012 models, but we cannot get it work for ripping yet!

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Concerning the source code that @Kal Rubinson has linked to.

I had a pm discussion with @skepitcal a while back about that, and would be interested in the thoughts of some of the rest of our code-savvy members on this issue.

Two things are missing from the repository of the original sacd_extract that @Kal Rubinson linked to:  development essentials for MT85xx SoC (which must come from the SoC vendor and can be proprietary) and glue code between sacd_extract and MT85xx libraries/modules.  These are are actually where the magic is happening, and we do not have much luck without them for recompilation of sacd_extract_160.

22 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Not familiar with your particular OS but the sacd_extract client is available for MacOS and Windows only as far as I know. 

Hi. Windoze is my cynical name for MS Windows I'm running v10.

Apologies for the confusion!

That said: anyone have any idea why I might not be able to see or connect to the Pioneer BDP-160?

On 2/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, hyendaudio said:

However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

You're never going to see the BD player on your Windows network even when the server method of SACD ripping is working.  That's not the problem.

If I'm reading your error message correctly, it seems like a network connection has been made because the SACD extract program has returned a response -- libsacdread.  (If it could not connect I think you would get another message like cannot connect to x.)  But for some reason, the program cannot access the disc for ripping.

Did you disable the setting autoplay disc on the Pioneer?

It's really hard to troubleshoot the server method when it goes wrong.  Go back and check all the steps on your guide and try again.

If you get frustrated enough and want to try to use telnet to diagnose things, let me know.  That's the next step if you can't get things to work.

Thank you Phthalocyanine.

I've rechecked everything and I'm pretty sure I have accurately followed the setup and execution procedures. 1 thing I have not done is to reformat the thumb drive, but I suspect that isn't necessary as the player reads it fine and opens the drawer. I've tried telneting to the player on port 2002 and that doesnt work either. If I read the procedure correctly the bootup program (which also opens the drawer)  should have a telnet server or daemon embedded, or did I get that wrong? Autoplay has been disabled as well. Is it possible the SACD extract program just doesnt like the disc I'm using? I will try another one and see that solves the problem. I know the player can read the disc.

Open to suggestions.

Thank you again!

24 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I've tried telneting to the player on port 2002

That's not the port to telnet to.  (Port 2002 is a port the SACD_extract program opens up for communicating but it's not telnet.)

I'll PM you my guide, which is for a Sony, and for a different method than what you're attempting, but the telnet information is the same for the Pioneer and the Sony.  The method in the guide can be used for a Pioneer.  But for a Pioneer you omit the toggling of the music setting.

59 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

Open to suggestions.

Do you have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the USB thumb drive?

It should look exactly like this in Windows 10:

image001.thumb.jpg.8e6e6d5d712fdfb113904d5c254e9113.jpg

Also be sure that Windows did not attach a file extension to the first file in the folder, typically this happens if you attempted to view the file's contents at which point it would have a .txt file association. 

If that happened, delete the .txt extension and you should be good to go, assuming no stray keystrokes were made during any potential browsing of that file then broke it.

Only the middle file should have any extension, .TSS... the other two have no file extension.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 2/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, hyendaudio said:

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have everything setup as instructed on a Windoze 10 machine, and my player has a hard wired ethernet connection with a static IP and the player, a Pioneer BDP-160 is pingable. I have also updated sacd.cmd with the correct IP address (though I suspect that's only to run the sacd_extract command on my localhost). However, the player is not discoverable on my Windoze network and neither ISO2DSD nor SACD_extract are able to connect, both display the error: Failed to connect  libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Can someone offer some advice regarding making the player discoverable on the network? I suspect that is what is causing my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have you tried a static IP address, v dynamic IP, yet? Once you programme your router to asign the static IP, it will never change.

7 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I'll PM you my guide, which is for a Sony, and for a different method than what you're attempting, but the telnet information is the same for the Pioneer and the Sony.

I would like to see that telnet guide, as well.

One possibility would be reverting back to original fimware on the BDP-S790 to resolve the ARMv7 incompatibilities. Would this be even possible, at this time?

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Have you tried a static IP address, v dynamic IP, yet? Once you programme your router to asign the static IP, it will never change.

Yes, the first thing I did was update the IP address to 192.168.0.160 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, my router's IP address as the default gateway and DNS IP. The network connect test passes. No need to tell the router to assign an IP, as it's DHCP service will never see a request from the player for a leased address. 

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Do you have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the USB thumb drive?

Also be sure that Windows did not attach a file extension to the first file in the folder, typically this happens if you attempted to view the file's contents at which point it would have a .txt file association. 

If that happened, delete the .txt extension and you should be good to go, assuming no stray keystrokes were made during any potential browsing of that file then broke it.

Only the middle file should have any extension, .TSS... the other two have no file extension.

I've confirmed this, but just discovered something interesting: When I scan the contents of the USB thumb drive from the player's menu I see other folders besides autoscript (the autoscript folder is embedded in the music folder). Not sure if this is a "feature" of the player's O/S but I'm going to reformat the drive and copy over the autoscript folder to the root of the thumb drive and try this again.

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Reformatted the USB drive and now have this in the folder.

image.png.547ba28980a802f82441d46798b8a9f8.png

The player still shows the following folders:  

Photo

Music (contains the Autoscript folder)

Video

WWF

AVCHD

So I guess this is a feature of the player's O/S.

command line telnet can't connect

Z:\SACD>telnet 192.168.0.160 (couldn't resist trying this again)
Connecting To 192.168.0.160...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
Still no joy on running iso2dsd:

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading

Note as well that putty also cannot connect via telnet, showing connection refused - so I can never get to the point of running sacd_extract:

image.png.900da05eadfe25c52d79604f8c9ca842.pngimage.png.0440e1bc322da67f6835169ac0bcfb61.png

26 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

The player still shows the following folders:  

It doesn't matter if you have other stuff on the Thumbdrive.  If you have the right Autoscript folder in the root with the right files then it will work.  So that's not your problem.

28 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

Note as well that putty also cannot connect via telnet, showing connection refused - so I can never get to the point of running sacd_extract:

OK check the scripts in the files against the content described in my guide at the end.  (Open Autoscript and Autoscript TSS  in Notepad.)

Because if the right scripts are running correctly you should be able to get telnet access.  This is where your problem may be.

The fact you got connection refused means that Putty did find s device at the address you entered.  But does the Pioneer have a setting in its setup menus where you can -check its IP address? 

3 hours ago, Iain said:

One possibility would be reverting back to original fimware on the BDP-S790 to resolve the ARMv7 incompatibilities. Would this be even possible, at this time?

Actually, this can be done for a Sony. ( Follow the link below for more information.)  But I don't understand why you think the original firmware will be compiled in sometime other than ARMv7.  (I am also sending you a copy of my guide.)

http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html

I followed the link, but unfortunately firmware files older than the last version are not available anymore.

It could be worth a try, but I'm not hopeful.  There is no reason for Sony to have changed compilation flags from armv6 to armv7 along the way...

56 minutes ago, Knur said:

but unfortunately firmware files older than the last version are not available anymore.

No.  The older versions of the Sony firmware are still available at this site:

https://www.mmnt.net/db/0/1/ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/HAV/BDP/FW/

You have to figure out what firmware version the S790 uses and then modify it through the program in the Malcolm Stagg website.

But the main problem exists that the S790 firmware has probably always been Armv7 because the S790 uses a different processor than the other 2012 models (because it has unique features like two HDMI connections)

A member wrote this about the S790 a while back:

There is a strong possibility that the Sony BDP-S790 uses a different chip than the S490/S590. I was curious because Sony describes the S790 as having a dual core processor whereas the S490/S590 do not. I've been digging in service manuals and it does appear that the main IC101 has a different internal Sony part number

8 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

But the main problem exists that the S790 firmware has probably always been Armv7 because the S790 uses a different processor than the other 2012 models (because it has unique features like two HDMI connections)

Has anyone ever tried the Oppo script on the S790?

I only ask because the Oppo, Cambridge, and similar units using the MediaTek MT8580 do have two HDMI connectors. Is it possible that Sony used that CPU in the S790?

Albeit, the MT8580 is described as single core.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

35 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Has anyone ever tried the Oppo script on the S790?

I tried the sacd_extract binary for the Oppos on the S790, but it didn't work because of a missing library (libiconv.so)... So, back to square one.

37 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

No.  The older versions of the Sony firmware are still available at this site:

https://www.mmnt.net/db/0/1/ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/HAV/BDP/FW/

Did you try to actually download a file from that page ? It seems the site is only a list of files on the Sony Vaio FTP (ftp.vaio-link.com) site... Which doesn't exists anymore !

51 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset is there any way to tell whether the sacd_extract for Oppo is compiled for Arm 6 or Arm 7?

Or alternately, whether the Oppo 103 & 105 mediatek architecture is Arm 6 or Arm 7?

You can just open the sace_extract binary with a text editor and search for "vermagic".  sacd_extract_160 has this:

vermagic=2.6.35 preempt mod_unload ARMv6

This belongs to the kernel module file embedded in the sacd_extract_160 program.

I am not sure what kind of ARM version Oppo uses since I do not own one.

@mindset Thanks for that tip!  I searched for vermagic in the Oppo sacd_extract and got this

vermagic=2.6.35 SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7

So ARMv7! 😀

But @Knur said that he tried it on the S790 but it didn't work because of a missing library (libiconv.so).

But are we really back to Square one?

Is there a way to find that missing library and create a script that loads it for the S790.

At the least we have a version of sacd extract compiled for Arm 7.  Doesn't that get us somewhere with the S790?

1 hour ago, Knur said:

Did you try to actually download a file from that page ? It seems the site is only a list of files on the Sony Vaio FTP (ftp.vaio-link.com) site... Which doesn't exists anymore !

I downloaded firmware for the S590 and S390 in the past but have not done so recently.

It would be a shame if that resource is no longer available.

3 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset Thanks for that tip!  I searched for vermagic in the Oppo sacd_extract and got this

vermagic=2.6.35 SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7

So ARMv7! 😀

That is interesting.  I have a way to extract the kernel module from the program.  I can try loading it on my BDP-S6200 which also runs 2.6.35 ARMv7.

17 minutes ago, mindset said:

It just worked like a charm.

Wonderful - Great Work!

By the way, I checked my files of things I downloaded along the way from this thread and found

libiconv.so.2_from_oppo_fw

Which looks like the missing kernel extracted from the Oppo firmware.

I vaguely remember this being discussed but I cannot seem to find it now in the thread.

I'll PM this file to you & @Knur and anybody else who wants it.

33 minutes ago, mindset said:

Tried loading the kernel module I extracted from sacd_extract for oppo and running sacd_extract_160 in server mode on BDP-S6200

So you ended up using sacd_extract 160 even though it is compiled for Arm 6 on the Sony S6200 which is running Arm 7 but the added kernel module made it work?

When you have the time, please try to explain this in simple terms to us simple minds out here.  ☺️