IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 hours ago, mindset said:

I have a few stereo only discs, and they are not compressed.  Surround tracks are normally compressed (not sure if it's mandatory though).  One thing you can try is to convert a local ISO of the ripped disc to DSF on a PC .  If you see tens of MB/s, that disc is probably not compressed.

I see, and that would explain certain isolated fantastic results I've seen, for instance the new Axis: Bold as Love Analogue Productions SACD reissue extracted from ISO at 55 MB/s on my MacBook Air.

That makes more sense to me now as the disc does have both Stereo and Mono mixes of the tracks, but no multi-channel/surround. So that .dsf extraction did not involve decompression, and as such it flew at supersonic speed.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I see, and that would explain certain isolated fantastic results I've seen, for instance the new Axis: Bold as Love Analogue Productions SACD reissue extracted from ISO at 55 MB/s on my MacBook Air.

That makes more sense to me now as the disc does have both Stereo and Mono mixes of the tracks, but no multi-channel/surround. So that .dsf extraction did not involve decompression, and as such it flew at supersonic speed.

I'm about to try my first SACD extraction with that AP Axis: Bold As Love disc. Just waiting for delivery.  So you're saying that you didn't have any problems?

8 hours ago, SeeMoreDigital said:

From what I understand, DST compression is mandatory for multi-channel SACD content and optional for stereo SACD content...

The following manual is inclined to concur with your opinion ?

sacd_DST.thumb.PNG.a679c44fee786700dbb3fbba191c7ccc.PNG

my two cents on the topic:

If you decompress a DST64 6channel file to DSD, a decent sw player (e.g. foobar2000) shows a constant bitrate (CBR) of 16934 kb/s.

Just like LPCM this is very inefficient, as each channel gets the same bitrate assigned regardless if there is any "sound action" in it or not.

The most common Digital Versatile Disc formats offer a maximum bitrate of 9800 kb/s (for audio this is only achievable via the DVD-Audio format).

This was officially surpassed by the shortlived 3X DVD format (basically a dwarved version of HD DVD featuring red laser and regular DVD capacities).

In order to fit the 16934 sound material into those 9800 you need an efficient but yet lossless compressor, which naturally has to use a variable bitrate (VBR). My guess is that the DST format solves this challenge rather nicely.

At last do rip a 6ch SACD without decompressing the tracks and you end up with multichannel DST files (.dff) which hardly exceed 7500 kb/s.

At some point it was even planned (version 1.3a?) to transmit DST over HDMI (sort of a SACD bitstream output mode).

Last but not least, is CA SMD = doom9 SMD ?

5 hours ago, Dinamoe said:

I'm about to try my first SACD extraction with that AP Axis: Bold As Love disc. Just waiting for delivery.  So you're saying that you didn't have any problems?

No problems at all, in this post a few pages back I showed the result ripping it straight to .dsf, 3.05MB/s is fast.

The post above that you quoted however was a different test on that same disc in which the SACD is first ripped to a full archival ISO, and then the .dsf tracks are extracted from that. That's where the supersonic 55 MB/s speed was reached.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 7/23/2016 at 12:11 PM, tmtomh said:

A simple set of instructions for Mac users:

1. Use Oppo Remote iOS app (or whatever method you like) to find your player’s IP address on your network.
  2. Insert USB stick into any of the Oppo’s USB ports. Disk drawer will open almost immediately.
  3. Press Execute button. Ripping will start in about 10 seconds and progress bar will show.

Thank you all for the great input. Trying this for the first time. regarding the three items above:
My Oppo 105d is connected to my wireless network. I know the IP but how do I know the port?
When I inserted the USB stick, the door did not open.
When I pressed execute I got "Failed to connect Libsacdread:Can't open 192.168.0.9 :2"
that "2" at the end was one attempt at guessing the port. I've tried other numbers I thought might be the port, but obviously I need help with this.

My mac, running yosemite, does not see the Oppo but I read that in many of the comments. I am using an airport extreme on wireless. Though I tried hooking my laptop (2013 Macbook pro) via ethernet directly to the oppo, but I assume that doesn't really network that way. I'm guessing my problem is most likely not having the port?

any help is appreciated and I do apologize if I missed a solution. 

thanks

wedge

26 minutes ago, wedgeworld said:

Thank you all for the great input. Trying this for the first time. regarding the three items above:
My Oppo 105d is connected to my wireless network. I know the IP but how do I know the port?
When I pressed execute I got "Failed to connect Libsacdread:Can't open 192.168.0.9 :2"
that "2" at the end was one attempt at guessing the port. I've tried other numbers I thought might be the port, but obviously I need help with this.

My mac, running yosemite, does not see the Oppo but I read that in many of the comments. I am using an airport extreme on wireless. Though I tried hooking my laptop (2013 Macbook pro) via ethernet directly to the oppo, but I assume that doesn't really network that way. I'm guessing my problem is most likely not having the port?

any help is appreciated and I do apologize if I missed a solution. 

thanks

wedge

The port used is the default: 2002.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 hours ago, wedgeworld said:

Though I tried hooking my laptop (2013 Macbook pro) via ethernet directly to the oppo, but I assume that doesn't really network that way

you need a crossover network cable for this..everyone should have at least one

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-350MHz-Molded-Cross-over/dp/B0056YN7QE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541823394&sr=8-3&keywords=crossover+network+cable

On 11/8/2018 at 12:33 PM, Nexus3 said:

@mindset

Since your tools have gone, where hardly any other disc ripper has gone before - the ARM world around a dwarf sun, the Android cluster shouldn't be that far away.

Should you ever choose to port sacd_extract(+GUI) to APK, do consider us for beta testing ?

Sounds like a fun project, but I'm not sure how useful that will be.

26 minutes ago, likearollingstone said:

you need a crossover network cable for this..everyone should have at least one

Many of the Ethernet transceivers today support Auto MDI/MDI-X which allows direct connection with a normal cable.  For example my old mac mini 2012 can talk to BDP-S5100 directly with a normal cable.

4 hours ago, likearollingstone said:

you need a crossover network cable for this

last time I needed one was in the '90s, afterwards... Macs started doing that autosensing thing ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

9 hours ago, pl_svn said:

last time I needed one was in the '90s, afterwards... Macs started doing that autosensing thing ;)

I remember those. Been years.
I've gone back to wireless. We just upgraded our wireless to a Linksys Velop.
Updated the ip address in the software after changing networks.
Verified the correct files were on the thumb drive.
Drive does now open on power up.
Still get the can't connect screen shown in the attached photo

2078435031_ScreenShot2018-11-10at9_57_19AM.thumb.png.a30eaf93707f89c0e0daf3cd8629465f.png

1 hour ago, greynolds said:

No.  Ripping Bluray’s can be done pretty easily with a Blu-ray drive connected to a PC and using software such as MakeMKV, AnyDvd HD, etc.  There’s no point in anyone putting any effort into figuring out if it can be done and how with these players that can be used to rip SACDs; it would just be a waste of time since there’s already an easy way to do it.

Agree 100% - especially since USB Blu-Ray capable drives are not expensive.

22 hours ago, wedgeworld said:

My Oppo 105d is connected to my wireless network. 
When I pressed execute I got "Failed to connect Libsacdread:Can't open 192.168.0.9 :

My mac is running yosemite,

Some updates to my being unable to have success. 
We now have a linksys Velop wireless system. My signal is way better.
I have only had the Oppo door open automatically once. Other times I had to turn it on, with the thumb drive already inserted, and then the door did a very quick open close thing, with or without a disc in.
Finally when I clicked EXECUTE in the Sonore software I didn't get an error. However, I didn't get anything showing in the Sonore software screen and it doesn't appear that the USB stick is doing anything.

one thing to note, on the Oppo main screen the icon that just says network, if I select that option is shows 0/0. If I select it it spins for a while but nothing shows up. But I am on my network as we were able to use the netflix app.

I've never been much for networking my computers. Is it possible some sharing or other networking item is not set correctly on my Mac?

6 hours ago, wedgeworld said:

Some updates to my being unable to have success. 
We now have a linksys Velop wireless system. My signal is way better.
I have only had the Oppo door open automatically once. Other times I had to turn it on, with the thumb drive already inserted, and then the door did a very quick open close thing, with or without a disc in.
Finally when I clicked EXECUTE in the Sonore software I didn't get an error. However, I didn't get anything showing in the Sonore software screen and it doesn't appear that the USB stick is doing anything.

one thing to note, on the Oppo main screen the icon that just says network, if I select that option is shows 0/0. If I select it it spins for a while but nothing shows up. But I am on my network as we were able to use the netflix app.

I've never been much for networking my computers. Is it possible some sharing or other networking item is not set correctly on my Mac?

I would suggest confirming that IP address belongs to the OPPO not something else in your LAN (you should be able to do this in OPPO's menu) and then try pinging the IP address.  If the IP address belongs to the player and there is echo,  then the server program is probably not running properly on the player side.

44 minutes ago, mindset said:

I would suggest confirming that IP address belongs to the OPPO not something else in your LAN (you should be able to do this in OPPO's menu) and then try pinging the IP address.  If the IP address belongs to the player and there is echo,  then the server program is probably not running properly on the player side.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering if Oppo is showing me the correct IP address in its network menu page. I've been using Macs since the late 1980s but sharing and servers are something I have never really done. I'm not really sure how I ping the IP address.
I have networked back up drives attached to my router and accessed my other computer from my newer one. But that is about all. Time to do some learning.

43 minutes ago, wedgeworld said:

I've been using Macs since the late 1980s but sharing and servers are something I have never really done. I'm not really sure how I ping the IP address. 

Go to your Applications folder;

Choose Utilities and then open the Network Utility;

Click the Ping tab and specify a domain or IP that you want to check;

Click on the Ping button to launch the test;

On 11/10/2018 at 5:26 AM, mindset said:

Sounds like a fun project, but I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Well you could be right, since "lazy" Android smartphone users will probably only do stereo / individual track ripping, from their armchair after listening to the SACD in the living room.

The whole potential (full or 6ch rips) would only be unlocked by the small minority of premium tablet users (with HDMI port) and set-top-box owners (e.g. nVIDIA Shield TV).

14 hours ago, likearollingstone said:

Go to your Applications folder;

Choose Utilities and then open the Network Utility;

Click the Ping tab and specify a domain or IP that you want to check;

Click on the Ping button to launch the test;

Here is the ping test results, I assume this means they are communicating.

--- 192.168.1.77 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.974/13.237/49.867/13.212 ms

If so should I perhaps try a different thumb drive with the script on it? I have verified my drive is Fat32 and the script contents are there in the correctly named folder.