IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

If you use a static IP address, then it needs to be set outside of the DHCP IP address range you router uses, or you could end up with an IP address clash.  If you use a DHCP reservation for the player on the router, then you can use any IP address on that network (depending on what your router lets you confirure), as long as you don't choose an address that something else already has set as a static (which itself should be outside the DHCP range (your router should not let you set an address inside the DHCP range that is already in use)).

Ping tells you if the player is on the network or not, telnet/SACD-Extract.exe/ISO2DSD will connect to the "SACD_extract server", if it's running on your player, on port 2002, so infers if the "SACD_extract server" is running on the player, and listening for an inbound network connection (from your PC), on port 2002.

There is also burred in this thread, a method for not using the network, but using the local USB stick, but I think you've had it working on the network already, so should be able to get that working again?

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Yes, the "local ripping" method.  But you will still need to have a telnet connection with the player to get that to work.  I'll PM you my guide on this method.

Thank you. I restart from scratch with your method (I never read before that we should have Autoscript folder + AutoscriptSACD!

1) : "Power up the Sony BDPS590. OSD should display USB device (front) near the top of the screen"

Regarding my Sony BDP-S4100, I see "Load" then "Home" then "0000"

Note that the procedure does not say what is "sacd_extract_160" : initially I thought I could rename my sacd_extract.exe (same as in DSD2ISO but if I see the USB sticker my friend gave to me, it's not the same size : sacd_extract.exe = 1073 ko (29/07/2015) and sacd_extract_160 = 343ko (17/05/2018)

2) : I change the option DSD Multi or DSD 2 channel; after vthat I see "Home"

3) : telnet via putTTY

sony-player login: root
~ # cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/
-sh: cd: can't cd to /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/

If I check with ping 192.168.1.186 ==> the player is still reachable

puTTY1.JPG

putTTY.JPG

Folders.JPG

folder2.JPG

11 minutes ago, stof said:

Thank you. I restart from scratch with your method (I never read before that we should have Autoscript folder + AutoscriptSACD!

1) : "Power up the Sony BDPS590. OSD should display USB device (front) near the top of the screen"

Regarding my Sony BDP-S4100, I see "Load" then "Home" then "0000"

2) : I change the option DSD Multi or DSD 2 channel

3) : telnet via putTTY

If I check with ping 192.168.1.186 ==> the player is still reachable

puTTY1.JPG

putTTY.JPG

In my experience - both my own direct experience and seeing others' experiences reported here - the most likely problem with a Sony unit is not tenet/IP/networking. Rather, it's a problem with getting the Sony unit to unmount and "give up control" of the SACD so the SACD ripping app can do its thing. This is totally consistent with the problem you are having: You can see the Sony on your network; you can ping it; it's reachable at its IP address - but the actual SACD ripping executable won't work.

These are not the symptoms of a network problem, but rather of a problem with not having set up the Sony machine to ensure it doesn't monopolize control of the SACD once the drawer has been closed. You won't be able to rip using the local/telnet method or the remove server method as long as this is the problem.

The difficult, manual way to make the Sony "let go" of the SACD is to navigate its menus into the settings and toggle the stereo/multichannel setting. @Phthalocyanine discovered this trick when he first spread the news that the Sony units can do SACD ripping: it doesn't matter if you toggle from stereo to multichannel or the reverse - the act of doing the toggle forces the Sony to unmount the SACD, allowing the ripper to take over.

But the easier method is what @MikeyFresh has elaborated earlier this thread: the "sleep" method. Set the Sony to "quick start" mode. Then instead of pressing the eject button to close the disc drawer and load your SACD, press the power button. That will put the machine to sleep, loading the SACD but preventing the machine from taking control of it - therefore allowing the SACD ripping executable to function.

I am grateful and filled with respect for those who've helped us be able to rip SACDs. I will say, though, that after a couple of dozen pages of discussion about Sony machine SACD ripping in particular, there's entirely too much discussion of telnet, network issues, and IP address stuff - that's not the major issue with the Sonys. It's the SACD unmounting/control issue, almost every time.

17 minutes ago, stof said:

) : telnet via putTTY

It looks like you connected to the Sony via telnet -- great!

The problem I think is that your Sony player has not mounted your USB stick as sda1 as the usual stock command assumes.

Thus when you issue the change directory command (cd) it cannot find the path you specified.

So you need to find out what your Sony has mounted your USB stick as instead (sda, adb, sda2 - various possibilities).

You need to cd to the mnt directory and see what name the player has mounted the USB stick.

Then adjust your cd  command to that destination.

Linux-heads please feel free to chime in with better directions here if you have them.

Someone posted at some point in this thread, a clever "wildcarded" mount command to find and mount which ever mount point the player had chosen, though I think it always chooses sda1 if you only have a single USB device in the player (check you don't have a USB wifi dongle in the back or another thumb drive), and you are doing this straight after you turn the player on... (it's been said every time you unplug/re-plug the USB stick, it creates a new, increasingly numbered sda number...)

HTH!

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

I am grateful and filled with respect for those who've helped us be able to rip SACDs. I will say, though, that after a couple of dozen pages of discussion about Sony machine SACD ripping in particular, there's entirely too much discussion of telnet, network issues, and IP address stuff - that's not the major issue with the Sonys. It's the SACD unmounting/control issue, almost every time.

I echo this sentiment, it is either the above ... or this:

40 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

Someone posted at some point in this thread, a clever "wildcarded" mount command to find and mount which ever mount point the player had chosen, though I think it always chooses sda1 if you only have a single USB device in the player (check you don't have a USB wifi dongle in the back or another thumb drive), and you are doing this straight after you turn the player on... (it's been said every time you unplug/re-plug the USB stick, it creates a new, increasingly numbered sda number...)

One or both of the above, every time.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

The difficult, manual way to make the Sony "let go" of the SACD is to navigate its menus into the settings and toggle the stereo/multichannel setting. @Phthalocyanine discovered this trick when he first spread the news that the Sony units can do SACD ripping: it doesn't matter if you toggle from stereo to multichannel or the reverse - the act of doing the toggle forces the Sony to unmount the SACD, allowing the ripper to take over.

But the easier method is what @MikeyFresh has elaborated earlier this thread: the "sleep" method. Set the Sony to "quick start" mode. Then instead of pressing the eject button to close the disc drawer and load your SACD, press the power button. That will put the machine to sleep, loading the SACD but preventing the machine from taking control of it - therefore allowing the SACD ripping executable to function.

Player ON with USB stick (I never plugged any wifi dongle)

I change the stereo/multichannel setting and I set "quick start" to ON

I open the disc drawer, put the SACD and press power button.

==>ISO2DSD : same error

==>ping : still OK (that validate that in sleep mode we can still communicate with the player).

==>puTTY : I tried cd /mnt/sdaX/AutoScriptSACD/  with 1<=X<=20 but same error

ls command show me the list (cf capture) ==> no sda, adb, sda2...

I can't go in any of these folder via "cd" command!

ls.JPG

51 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

every time you unplug/re-plug the USB stick, it creates a new, increasingly numbered sda number

Not that it improves or solves anything, but as Linux storage devices logic go, the number at the end is a reference to the partition on a given device. So with the unplug/re-plug we would have increasing device letters and not numbers (so it would be sdx1, x being the next free device letter, and so on).

If by any chance you end up with sda2, then maybe the USB device have a format/partition issue. It shouldn't have more than one.

1 hour ago, stof said:

Player ON with USB stick (I never plugged any wifi dongle)

I change the stereo/multichannel setting and I set "quick start" to ON

I open the disc drawer, put the SACD and press power button.

==>ISO2DSD : same error

==>ping : still OK (that validate that in sleep mode we can still communicate with the player).

==>puTTY : I tried cd /mnt/sdaX/AutoScriptSACD/  with 1<=X<=20 but same error

ls.JPG

I apologize in advance for not recalling all the details of everything you have tried earlier in the process. That said, I would recommend you forget telnetting into the Sony and trying navigate its file system and such remotely. The Sony's own menus (I forget exactly where) will identify the USB stick for you and tell you if it's mounted as sda1, sdb1, or sdc1, etc. 

Also, I honestly cannot recall for sure, but isn't the Sony's disc drawer supposed to open automatically a few moments after you install the USB key? If it is supposed to, and yours is not, then I would suspect a problem with the files in the AutoScript folder on your USB key, or perhaps a formatting issue with your USB key.

If the USB key does make the Sony's drawer pop open (or if I am misremembering and it's not supposed to make it pop open), there still could be a problem with the script file in your AutoScript folder. There are universal scripts out there that enable both telnet/local ripping, and remote/server ripping - but.I could not for the life of me to get SACD ripping on my Sony to work with those scripts. I had two use a super-basic, remote/server-only script (that has like three lines of code and only one or two commands in it), which @MikeyFresh supplied (or perhaps linked to) before I could get it to work.

You should use whatever method you prefer of course, but my recommendation is to forget telnet and rip remotely to your computer using the server method. Use a simple, server-only script, and for good measure unplug the Sony from AC power and then plug it back in, so it will again mount your USB key as sda1 - if you don't turn the Sony off (not just sleep, as far as I know, but turn it off - hence unplug and replug it), it will mount the USB key as sdb1 when you re-insert it, and sdc1 after that, and sdd1 after that, and so on - and that will break the SACD ripping script.

2 hours ago, stof said:

=>puTTY : I tried cd /mnt/sdaX/AutoScriptSACD/  with 1<=X<=20 but same error

USB stick will not be mounted because you turned the power off and are trying to use sleep mode.  Sleep mode does not work with local ripping.

Do the procedures in my guide.  Do not turn off the power.  Now do the list command of mnt and you will see how the usb stick is mounted.

Then amend the command according to the device name and you will be able to achieve local ripping.

It seems there is many scripts and everybody has not the same idea about the sleep mode.

@Phthalocyanine : I followed exactly your procedure (except that I got sacd_extract160 from somewhere I cannot guarantee)

• With your script, I now see the "0000" on the OSD...but the disc drawer is not opening
  • With the initial script my friend gave me on its USB stick, I didn't see the "0000" but the disc drawer was opening after 5s

Now I turn ON the Sony player and directly launch puTTY. get "sdg" folder in addition to what I showed you in sleep mode but...I can't still enter into the folder (cf "sdg" capture). It's not because of the USB stick because I used a 3rd USB stick, formatted in FAT32 too, I copied the 2 folders and I see an sdi1 folder where I cannot enter either.

However, if I use my friend's USB stick, I can do cd sdh1 but I have an error when trying to rip (cf "Stick2" capture)

I think for the 1st time we have an interesting log, don't you think?

Maybe you want to know what is inside my friend's USB stick.

root

Autoscript.TSS

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

sacd_extract_160

AutoScript folder

Autoscript.TSS

same content

sacd_extract_160

==>so you have another very different way to work (because I didn't change anything since my 1st successfull extraction, this was working at some point).

Of course I see in the script "sda1" instead of "sdh1"...maybe the explanation of removing several time USB stick changed the name...so I change again...with sdj1 because last time I get the name it was sdi1...

Suspens...puTTY raise "Network : connection refused" (ping is working at the same time)!!!!

I don't understand anything. 😭

sdg.JPG

Stick2.JPG

Sony player fully reset

USB stick "friend" : 

scripts referencing  /mnt/sda1 like before

The disc drawer is opening after 5s

==>I can't again communicate through puTTY...

USB stick "Phthalocyanine" :

The scripts are also refering to /mnt/sda1/

I  see "0000" on the OSD...but the disc drawer is not opening

/mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I
insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileCWnCIj': Device or resource busy
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
[0]: Can not install modules

So...the behaviour is quite the opposite as before (I can execute a command with USB stick "Phthalocyanine" but I cannot communicate anymore with USB stick "friend"!!!

5 hours ago, stof said:

USB stick "Phthalocyanine" :

The scripts are also refering to /mnt/sda1/

I  see "0000" on the OSD...but the disc drawer is not opening

/mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I
insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileCWnCIj': Device or resource busy
[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed
rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
[0]: Can not install modules

So...the behaviour is quite the opposite as before (I can execute a command with USB stick "Phthalocyanine" but I cannot communicate anymore with USB stick "friend"!!!

OK you've successfully done telnet communication and successfully launched sacd_extract_160 from the USB stick.

The error you are getting looks like the error that happens when you do not do the toggle in the music settings for SACD (stereo/multichannel).

Did you do that?  You should do that right before you submit the command /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The error you are getting looks like the error that happens when you do not do the toggle in the music settings for SACD (stereo/multichannel).

Did you do that?  You should do that right before you submit the command /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I

Of course I change EVERYTIME after the player is ON in Music Settings from stereo to multichannel (or multichannel to stereo depending on the last setting).

Then I close the disc drawer and I try to do something with my computer.

2 hours ago, stof said:

Of course I change EVERYTIME after the player is ON in Music Settings from stereo to multichannel (or multichannel to stereo depending on the last setting).

Then I close the disc drawer and I try to do something with my computer.

It sounds like you are toggling before you load the disc ("Then I close the disc drawer ...")

That will not work.

You need to do the toggle ( from stereo to multichannel or vice versa ) after the disc has been loaded but before you execute the ripping command on the command line.

Think of it this way.  When a SACD disc is loaded into the Sony, it locks the disc for use by the player.  One needs to unlock it by doing the toggle.  Then you can execute the rip program on the command line.

So the order -

Disc loaded into the player.  It will go to the play window on the Sony.  Using the Sony remote, you exit out of that and go to the music settings and do the toggle.

Then telnet in, and issue the commands for the rip. 

(You could also have established your telnet connection before you loaded the disc, and then issue the rip command after you loaded the disc and toggled.)

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

It sounds like you are toggling before you load the disc ("Then I close the disc drawer ...")

That will not work.

You need to do the toggle ( from stereo to multichannel or vice versa ) after the disc has been loaded but before you execute the ripping command on the command line.

Unbelievable!!! This is it!!!!

More than 10 hours lost because of that!

Thank you very much for your time.

😊

PS : I assume I am the only stupid guy to make this mistake but maybe in the next tutoriel, you can add a warning about that...even if it is already explained in the right order...

5 hours ago, stof said:

Unbelievable!!! This is it!!!!

More than 10 hours lost because of that!

Thank you very much for your time.

😊

PS : I assume I am the only stupid guy to make this mistake but maybe in the next tutoriel, you can add a warning about that...even if it is already explained in the right order...

It's universally understood that when presented with a list of steps to take, that those steps should be taken in the order they are listed, and not in any random order, so not really necessary to re-state a warning to that effect.

Yes, you are probably not only the first person in the entire history of mankind to not understand this, but most likely the only person in the future of mankind that will ever not understand this.  ☺️

Move forward now and be grateful for the many kind and patient people in this thread who hung in there while you struggled until you ultimately succeeded in following the directions they gave you, and you were able to rip your first SACD;  they have been gracious and kind and generous with their time and knowledge to many others, including myself, and we are all forever in their debt. 

8 hours ago, stof said:

I assume I am the only stupid guy to make this mistake

No I think I remember this happened to another rather smart person too.

There's just a lot going on in this process, so there's a lot of points to go wrong.

Now that you see how it works for the local ripping technique, you will be able to get it to work for the server methods too.  But at least you have one technique now that works for you.

I'll say once again that while the telnet/local server method appears long and complicated it is worth learning for  trouble-shooting because the process gives you feedback each step of the way and you can ultimately figure out where your problem is.