IGNORED

JRiver Media Center Now features SoX Resampler

Just installed 22 beta and wow!

Not sure if I'm hearing things but it just pops in comparison to v20

Will wait for others to pipe in but initial impression is that v22 is a step up in sound quality.

Enabled Sox for Resampling but did not notice any difference.

Although I need to understand how it works a little better.

Still sound seems smoother in V22 and may be a touch louder.

Interesting ...

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Interesting. I've been using SOX with Minimserver for a while now. At least to my hears, my SOX settings created a smoother, more analog sound, which I prefer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Very noticeable difference! Instruments have more weight and body as well as better timbral accuracy. Guitars especially sound fleshier and the cymbals have lost some of the hash that seemed to have surrounded them.

Does the Sox re-sampling benefits extend through through DLNA too?

I've been using 22 for a few days and still putting it through it's paces. I will say that compared to the last few releases which seemed more video focused this release has some features for the audiophile to play with (Sox and play from memory).

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Just installed 22 beta and wow!

Not sure if I'm hearing things but it just pops in comparison to v20

Will wait for others to pipe in but initial impression is that v22 is a step up in sound quality.

Enabled Sox for Resampling but did not notice any difference.

Although I need to understand how it works a little better.

Still sound seems smoother in V22 and may be a touch louder.

Interesting ...

I agree that it seems like a big step forward, sonically. But for SoX to work don't you have to enable the Output DSP?

I've been using 22 for a few days and still putting it through it's paces. I will say that compared to the last few releases which seemed more video focused this release has some features for the audiophile to play with (Sox and play from memory).

It has had play from memory for a long while. I thought that the new change was play album from memory but I do not see that choice. I installed v22 last week.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I agree that it seems like a big step forward, sonically. But for SoX to work don't you have to enable the Output DSP?

I believe that SoX is an upsampler so that would be correct.

I use JRMC v22 and have SoX enabled because I am upsampling everything to 192K for my REDnet D16 ethernet to AES converter which currently does not support changing rates on the fly. I believe that this "feature" was enabled on purpose for Pro Audio reasons. It is rumored that it will be changed to allow rate changing on the fly in August after a firmware update.

System

I believe that SoX is an upsampler so that would be correct.

I use JRMC v22 and have SoX enabled because I am upsampling everything to 192K .........................

I use JRMC v22 and have SoX enabled because I am downsampling to 176.4 and 192 in order to use DiracLive.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I have Output DSP enabled: up-sampling to 352.8KHz (or) 2xDSD in DoP

I also have "Internal Volume" enabled and DSP plugin set to "Increase volume of DSD to PCM by +6dB"

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I use JRMC v22 and have SoX enabled because I am downsampling to 176.4 and 192 in order to use DiracLive.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/soxr/

It's appropriately named, in that it will resample up or down.

I use it in Foobar2000 to downsample decimated DSD files from 24/352 kHz PCM to 24/192 kHz PCM, when needed.

Good point. Actually I have JRMC doing the same, even before SoX. Since my D16 only goes to 192K I down-sample higher rate music of which I really have little.

System

It's now available in the Mac version. You can find a download link on the MC22 for Mac board on the JRiver forum.

Thanks, just installed it.

However, it doesn't seem to apply to post DSD to PCM conversion. My DAC has some issues with 176khz (and no native DSD capability) so if I playback DSD files I'd like to downsample 176 to 88.2.

Is this possible?

However, it doesn't seem to apply to post DSD to PCM conversion. My DAC has some issues with 176khz (and no native DSD capability) so if I playback DSD files I'd like to downsample 176 to 88.2.

Is this possible?

I do not know what you mean by "post DSD to PCM conversion." I can convert DSD to any chosen PCM rate.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

You can set the sample rate of the output here:

DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample rate

And you can configure the new SoX resampler here:

Options > Audio > Settings > Use SoX for resampling

That's what I tried, but it doesn't seem to apply for DSD to PCM conversions, which stay at 176khz no matter what I enter there.

That's what I tried, but it doesn't seem to apply for DSD to PCM conversions, which stay at 176khz no matter what I enter there.

1x DSD to PCM will use the sample rate for 352,800 as the output rate.

2x DSD will probably use the 705,600 rate but I can't test that because I don't have a 2x DSD at home.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

I tried MC22 on a Mac and it pales compared to Audirvana+. Constrained sound, compared to A+ detailed, and wide separation. I've tried its various up samplers, DSD conversion et al. I use A+ with its new DSD128 conversion filter.

Am I missing some setting? My DAC is iFi's micro iDSD.

I tried MC22 on a Mac and it pales compared to Audirvana+. Constrained sound, compared to A+ detailed, and wide separation. I've tried its various up samplers, DSD conversion et al. I use A+ with its new DSD128 conversion filter.

Am I missing some setting? My DAC is iFi's micro iDSD.

While I'm a big A+ fan and this is my primary player, on my PCM only Exposure DAC, the new JRiver has a sound profile that I quite like. I still love the resolution of A+, but I can happily live with JRiver as an alternative sound wise.