IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

Marketing departments have created immense unnecessary confusion about this.

Jud, I often appreciate your comments, especially on technical topics, but this is a silly statement.

Let me tell you about "marketing departments" - having worked for more than a few. Firstly, they didn't do anything without the leadership - probably a direct command, knowing the culture in the hifi industry - from the engineer/entrepreneurs who actually own and control these little companies. The "marketing department" in most of them, is probably 2 people (if that). Marketing types would never in a thousand years have come up with this kind of idea by themselves. They merely publicized the positioning they were provided by their bosses (as mentioned, engineers to a man)

Like many geeks and nerds, you are a little hostile to the suits in marketing departments. It doesn't become you.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

I had noted Jud's remarks before, apropos 'marketing depts'. I'd interpreted it - as I think many would - as shorthand for the promotional material info that landed over time in consumer's laps; ie. the product & responsibility of the company. I hadn't at all regarded it as a backhander at the expense of the particular groups of individuals who constitute the specific marketing dept. I'd thought - perish such thoughts - audio company heads, indeed engineers - were always very capable of spruiking.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Too bad for me - in my system 2.5.4's detail sounds only like a slight emphasis of the upper frequencies. 2.5.2 had more weight and could, when asked, either rock or be more silky. I never tried 2.5.3 - I had no need for the listed changes.

2.5.4 has the most transparent sound ever!

What did you change this time Damien?

Too bad for me - in my system 2.5.4's detail sounds only like a slight emphasis of the upper frequencies. 2.5.2 had more weight and could, when asked, either rock or be more silky. I never tried 2.5.3 - I had no need for the listed changes.

I'm listening with these DSD128 settings:

A+ DSD128.png

Bass, slam, body and weight are the same!

Too bad for me - in my system 2.5.4's detail sounds only like a slight emphasis of the upper frequencies.

+1

For me the best version for SQ still 2.3.2 without upsampling, more bass, more analogue, more body, more fat, more all, perfect for my ears...

Even with the dsd upsampling on the last versions, I do not manage to equal this famous version 2.3.2 (the version 2.3.3 is very close also). And same with HQplayer with all filters, I do not manage to equal 2.3.2.

If Damien could take out a version 2.6 with the same SQ as a version 2.3.2, I could again add the upsampling in DSD and there I think that I shall have finally the Grail!!!

Thanks a lot Damien!!!

Jud, I often appreciate your comments, especially on technical topics, but this is a silly statement.

Let me tell you about "marketing departments" - having worked for more than a few. Firstly, they didn't do anything without the leadership - probably a direct command, knowing the culture in the hifi industry - from the engineer/entrepreneurs who actually own and control these little companies. The "marketing department" in most of them, is probably 2 people (if that). Marketing types would never in a thousand years have come up with this kind of idea by themselves. They merely publicized the positioning they were provided by their bosses (as mentioned, engineers to a man)

Like many geeks and nerds, you are a little hostile to the suits in marketing departments. It doesn't become you.

Geek, definitely. Nerd, don't think I quite correspond to the description, but I guess that's for others to decide.

James is correct, I was not thinking of "marketing departments" in the sense of the collection of desks with that name above the entryway, but in the sense of the overall corporate marketing responsibility, including as you say the folks at the top.

Sorry if I came across as hostile - I don't feel hostile. It's simply that over a period of years here on the forum we've seen a lot of folks who've been taught (1) that their DACs are NOS or don't "upsample," because (2) that's a bad thing. (2) is always incorrect as a matter of sheer mathematics, and (1) is nearly always incorrect as a matter of fact regarding the DAC internals.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

+1

Para mí la mejor versión de SQ todavía 2.3.2 sin muestreo superior, más bajo, más análogo, más cuerpo, más grasa, más de todo, perfecto para mis oídos ...

Incluso con el muestreo ascendente dsd en las últimas versiones, no me las arreglo para igualar esta famosa versión 2.3.2 (la versión 2.3.3 está muy cerca también). Y lo mismo con HQplayer con todos los filtros, no me las arreglo para igualar 2.3.2.

Si Damien podría llevar a cabo una versión 2.6 con el mismo SQ como una versión 2.3.2, podría añadir el nuevo muestreo ascendente en DSD y no creo que tendré que, finalmente, el Grial !!!

muchas gracias Damien !!! [/ quote]

+1

Tipunch, agreed that 2.3.2/2.3.3 have great sound. I keep 2.3.2 sounded the best for me until I turned on max upsampling in 2.3.3 - 2.3.3 sounds great with it on, both with my old Arcam DAC and my new Schiit Multibit. I still keep 2.3.3 around as a baseline reference. For those who note significant differences in some A+ updates, I do hope Damien doesn't shift further still from the 2.3.2/2.3.3 sound

In any event, I'm happy with 2.5.2 and there I'll stay if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Geek, definitely. Nerd, don't think I quite correspond to the description, but I guess that's for others to decide.

James is correct, I was not thinking of "marketing departments" in the sense of the collection of desks with that name above the entryway, but in the sense of the overall corporate marketing responsibility, including as you say the folks at the top.

Sorry if I came across as hostile - I don't feel hostile. It's simply that over a period of years here on the forum we've seen a lot of folks who've been taught (1) that their DACs are NOS or don't "upsample," because (2) that's a bad thing. (2) is always incorrect as a matter of sheer mathematics, and (1) is nearly always incorrect as a matter of fact regarding the DAC internals.

Thanks for the clarification. Marketeers all of the world are exhaling :-)

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Thanks for the clarification. Marketeers all of the world are exhaling :-)

No doubt, market mover that I am. ;-D

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Any update of 2.6?! Damien?

I'm adding so many new features in it I should have called it 3.0 or even 4.0 and made a paid upgrade for it. I must be too kind... ;)

Just to name a few in the upcoming new features:

• Performance enhancement, and sync bug fixes
  • NAS folders auto-synchronization (when A+ is running)
  • Sort field for titles, and artists names
  • Multiple artists per track, and per album
  • ReplayGain: analysis, optional volume leveling, and optimized safe volume reduction for DSD upsampling
  • Complete hyperlink navigation (e.g. click on name of an artist of a playing to see his albums, ...)

If all goes well, first beta versions should arrive next week.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I'm adding so many new features in it I should have called it 3.0 or even 4.0 and made a paid upgrade for it. I must be too kind... ;)

• ReplayGain: analysis, optional volume leveling, and optimized safe volume reduction for DSD upsampling
  • Complete hyperlink navigation (e.g. click on name of an artist of a playing to see his albums, ...)

Damien

Super! merci beaucoup...

Question for Damien or other expert users: My DSD-DAC manufacturer is about to offer an upgrade for Ethernet input into the DAC. Currently running A+ from a MacMini into said DAC via USB. Anybody knows if A+ will work if I go: MacMini (via Ethernet)->Ethernet Router->Ethernet input in DAC? Thanks for any help.

Of course I have no specific knowledge, but imagine it would completely depend on what type of Ethernet transmission protocol is to be used. Unless it's the type that appears to the OS as a directly connected device I'm guessing not. What DAC is it?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Hi Damien,

Not sure has this been asked before, could the DSD upsampling be a fixed frequency output 5.6Mhz or 6.1Mhz etc...

Alfred

Damien

Tipunch, agreed that 2.3.2/2.3.3 have great sound. I keep 2.3.2 sounded the best for me until I turned on max upsampling in 2.3.3 - 2.3.3 sounds great with it on, both with my old Arcam DAC and my new Schiit Multibit. I still keep 2.3.3 around as a baseline reference. For those who note significant differences in some A+ updates, I do hope Damien doesn't shift further still from the 2.3.2/2.3.3 sound

In any event, I'm happy with 2.5.2 and there I'll stay if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Interesting indeed! I didn't know that.

Where can I find a copy of 2.3.2. I have a paid for copy and currently run 2.5.2

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Of course I have no specific knowledge, but imagine it would completely depend on what type of Ethernet transmission protocol is to be used. Unless it's the type that appears to the OS as a directly connected device I'm guessing not. What DAC is it?

I think you will need a driver so your PC will see it. I have a Rednet 3 coming and it uses a virtual ethernet driver (software) so my Mac Mini can see the Ethernet as a divide to play to. Maybe your DAC update will have the software in the new board? It has to see a divide to play to. Also bear in mind you need to then get Internet access over WiFi not Ethernet, or you will need a switch, which can then cause latency and errors / loss of SQ. But I believe Ethernet is the way to go now, USB is on the way out for top audio.

With the Rednet virtual card which is made by Audinate, my Mac will see the Ethernet / Audio router as a playable device. The Rednet is NOT a typical Ethernet switch or router, it is designed for pro audio use and the best sound quality.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

I think you will need a driver so your PC will see it. I have a Rednet 3 coming and it uses a virtual ethernet driver (software) so my Mac Mini can see the Ethernet as a divide to play to. Maybe your DAC update will have the software in the new board? It has to see a divide to play to. Also bear in mind you need to then get Internet access over WiFi not Ethernet, or you will need a switch, which can then cause latency and errors / loss of SQ. But I believe Ethernet is the way to go now, USB is on the way out for top audio.

With the Rednet virtual card which is made by Audinate, my Mac will see the Ethernet / Audio router as a playable device. The Rednet is NOT a typical Ethernet switch or router, it is designed for pro audio use and the best sound quality.

Yes that's what I was hinting at but without knowing the original poster’s system it’s hard to say. But generally something that provides a virtual sound card type software (like Rednet/Dante, Merging Ravenna, etc) that is seen by the OS as a system output would most likely work. Other internet protocols such as as streaming type systems like DLNA, UPNP etc would probably not.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Damien

I am not familiar with DSD upsampling. Does that work with tidal, flac files.only dsd files etc?

I am not familiar with DSD upsampling. Does that work with tidal, flac files.only dsd files etc?

As A+ is currently configured it should work with any PCM file (perhaps mp3 or AAC as well - don't know and don't care ;) ) as long as your DAC accepts DSD input, either "native" or "DoP." Right now it leaves the sample rate of files that are already in DSD format untouched.