IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Any thoughts about using SOtM's battery-based ps to power it?

SOtM mBPS-d2s

Operability-wise, it should work. See 3 posts above this. Sound-wise? It should be better than using direct power. Darker background from reviews of the mbps-d2s. My LPS provides significant improvement to the sMS-200 so does the mbps-d2s.

I would love to see any comparisons of SOtM mBPS-d2s to any high-quality LPSU. Preferably to Sonore Signature or Uptone LPSU.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

I would love to see any comparisons of SOtM mBPS-d2s to any high-quality LPSU. Preferably to Sonore Signature or Uptone LPSU.

My SOtM mBPS-d2s battery PSU arrived today. Hooked it up to the sMS-200, and it functions perfectly. Will return with impressions..

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Initial impressions with the SOtM mBPS-d2s in conjunction with the SOtM sMS-200 (compared to the standard PSU that accompanied the sMS-200):

Definitely richer/fuller tonality, a more natural ease of presentation, and added overall clarity and presence. Music seems energized and more whole. Not least the presentation now has a very solid, even "concrete" sense of background or foundation from which the music emerges, which makes it feel more involving and real. It's as if a more outspoken (exaggerated?) element of detail/resolution is downplayed a wee bit and replaced by a (yet) more informative and intimate sound. Certainly a substantial sonic upgrade compared to the former standard PSU.

Are battery PSU's the best way to go with these mini network players which only require some 7-12 volts? I gather battery supplies come in many shapes and configurations, and varying qualities, and I take it a dedicated quality linear PSU would do just as well - perhaps (potentially) even more so? I'm very curious as to what others think of this.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Initial impressions with the SOtM mBPS-d2s in conjunction with the SOtM sMS-200 (compared to the standard PSU that accompanied the sMS-200):

Definitely richer/fuller tonality, a more natural ease of presentation, and added overall clarity and presence. Music seems energized and more whole. Not least the presentation now has a very solid, even "concrete" sense of background or foundation from which the music emerges, which makes it feel more involving and real. It's as if a more outspoken (exaggerated?) element of detail/resolution is downplayed a wee bit and replaced by a (yet) more informative and intimate sound. Certainly a substantial sonic upgrade compared to the former standard PSU.

Are battery PSU's the best way to go with these mini network players which only require some 7-12 volts? I gather battery supplies come in many shapes and configurations, and varying qualities, and I take it a dedicated quality linear PSU would do just as well - perhaps (potentially) even more so? I'm very curious as to what others think of this.

Thanks for this report. I'm under the impression that battery PSUs have higher impedance than linear PSUs. Whether that makes any difference in this case, as a practical matter, is another question...

Thanks for this report. I'm under the impression that battery PSUs have higher impedance than linear PSUs. Whether that makes any difference in this case, as a practical matter, is another question...

You're welcome. Well, given the present state of the sound with the battery PSU I don't feel desperately compelled to find out about the potential of a quality linear PSU - a solution I suspect would be more expensive as well.

The use of the battery PSU from SOtM seems hassle-free, but their recommendation to power off the unit when not strictly using it (to save battery life) means powering down the sMS-200 as well, something I'd like to avoid. Still, it's a minor quibble.

If we assume a high quality linear PSU to possibly(?) better the SOtM battery ditto, depending on the implementation, the question is whether we're talking increments of sonic advancement at a price by factor 3 or more? Sometimes though we're inclined to pay dearly for such "increments"..

Also, what is it with SOtM's oddball capitalization protocol?

Indeed. The logic behind it is a least partially evident, but its adherence is like a non-filtered engineering "vocabulary."

Newest update to Roon supports RoonReady on the SMS-200

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

They had this over 2 weeks ago. I'm waiting for NAA support which should come in August plus Roon certification. That will be fun.

from Roon: certified.

We've been hard at work certifying a new crop of Roon Ready devices. As of Build 154, six new products are now certified Roon Ready, including Musica Pristina’s Virtuouso DAC, Bryston’s BDP-Pi. SOtM’s sMS-200, and HiFiBerry’s DAC+, AMP+, and Digi+.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't think this product is officially released yet. The software seems mature thought. There hasn't been a firmware update for almost a month now. I doubt if it is going to be sold through Sonore.

I asked about Chris unit before. May said she will send it out. Hmmm. I wonder what happened to that.

Hi

does anybody know how one must specify a network path (nas etc.) in the sms-200?

best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Have you entered the Eunhasu page?

Hi

yes, in "UNC" format. Like: \\NAS\Music\

but no go so far?

How about entering the name of your NAS-server in 'NAME' and "Music" in 'PATH'?

This is from 'System Setup' and 'Library config.'

• 2 weeks later...
Great!

Looking fwd to your feedback.

+1!

• 2 weeks later...

In the SOtm site there's mention of an SMS-200 review and in there I've seen some nice photos of the internal construction. Seems pretty solid to me and most certainly a well executed and totally proprietary affair. People more knowledgeable than me, can chime in on that.

Hello. Hope to get mine tomorrow. I want to use the sMS-200 for Roon and LMS (Squeezelite).

I have read in the specs about the input voltage this:

Power requirement

Input Voltage : +6.5 ~ 14Vdc

So, I guess I can use the 12V output of my HDPLEX 100W LPS?

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro