IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Well, the new WD Red 3TB HDD won't start up in my (also) new Synology NAS-server. When powering up the NAS there's a strange sound from the harddrive as if it's trying to start up again and again, until a "beep" noise makes it stop and the status indicator starts blinking. Crickey, how about them f*cking unreliable HDD's - be they one brand of the other.

We'll try and connect a USB-harddrive to the sMS-200 instead, and will return with more into..

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Sorry for the harsh language above. I'm not unfamiliar with new computer equipment failing to work, hence the disappointment.

Well, just to get going we ended up using my existing HTPC as network server via DLNA, and got the sMS-200 up and running. The standard PSU is used (battery supply to follow later), and Kazoo is used as control point on my iPhone 6.

There's a sonic difference for sure with the sMS-200 implemented compared to my former HTPC setup. First impressions are of a subjectively warmer, more stable/calm and saturated presentation. There's an appealing sense of wholeness/coherency and organic flow, and voices having a more relaxed presentation. A curious sensation is also that of feeling the music to play a wee bit slower (though I'm sure it doesn't). Bass appears slightly fuller and more "lithe." Detail separation is less pronounced, and the overall presentation seems perhaps slightly "cautious." I'd go so far to say the unit sounds "new;" indeed the SOtM only got about an hour "under the hood."

These "virgin" impressions may not be much of a giveaway to any you, myself included. Being that the unit is so new, and that I'm used to a sound that is notably different (which in itself turns it into a "reference," flawed it may be), I don't know yet how to really characterize the sound of sMS-200. A few developments are underway though: earlier mentioned battery supply (likely a substantial upgrade), the Synology NAS-server with better Ethernet cables (questionable sonic difference perhaps, but I'll be freed of the background noise from the PSU of my HTPC), experimentation into playback software (ROON, first and foremost), and not least the sMS-200 being properly run-in over the next month or two.

Tentative further descriptions on the sound as is may include: a rather natural, balanced presentation, and a bit more gentle than up-front and demanding attention. To me the "emphasis," which it really isn't, on the whole of the sound rather than a more pronounced sense of detail separation is, again, a rather natural trait. That being said the overall sound (as is) could need a bit more spatiality, elasticity and dynamic promptness - all of which may be on the near horizon.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Detail separation is less pronounced... I'd go so far to say the unit sounds "new;" ...That being said the overall sound (as is) could need a bit more spatiality...

These are the areas I wanted the unit to excel to. I want it open and transparent with excellent imaging. I think if only these can be achived, everything else will follow. Understandably, this is only first few hours run so I hope it will improve from there.

I just got mine also today and in the process of setting it up. I only have a Cubox to compare it with and desktop PC with a SOtM tX-USBexp card. Player is Roon. I thought the Cubox with Roon in ArchLinux performed less than Cantata in Voyage MPD. My goal with the SMS-200 is to at least meet the performance of my desktop set-up while running in Roon.

These are the areas I wanted the unit to excel to. I want it open and transparent with excellent imaging. I think if only these can be achived, everything else will follow. Understandably, this is only first few hours run so I hope it will improve from there.

I just got mine also today and in the process of setting it up. I only have a Cubox to compare it with and desktop PC with a SOtM tX-USBexp card. Player is Roon. I thought the Cubox with Roon in ArchLinux performed less than Cantata in Voyage MPD. My goal with the SMS-200 is to at least meet the performance of my desktop set-up while running in Roon.

I'm looking forward to learn of your impressions. Let the sMS-200 got some hours into it, as it's clear already that it evolves while being used.

It may not be fair to try and go about ones impressions of a unit only about an hour or so into its playing time, but if nothing else you'll be able to follow the process and how it evolves, as I intend to update my impressions as they come.

With a few more hours under the hood it's all the more clear how the sMS-200 is really a different animal altogether compared to my former setup. The Musical presentation has a very intoxicating fullness and organic flow that makes the old HTPC sound malnourished and mechanical, and make no mistake; there's openness and transparency in abundance, but it may not show itself immediately. There's a sense of lack of glare, and at first audible glance it lends the sound a slightly darker imprinting. As you go on listening though (I've been out of the listening for a few hours, and now enjoys the last "stint" before bedtime), you quickly adopt into it feeling it's the more natural presentation. Voices sound just lovely, from Laurie Anderson's The Lake (of Homeland) to various tracks by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (The Letting Go), Tori Amos (Under the Pink) and Frank Sinatra (Ultimate Sinatra). This is good...

I'm looking forward to learn of your impressions.

I'm struggling to get it running. Roon cannot see it. When it saw it, it run for 1 second then stop. I see you are running it in DLNA.

The unit is very slow which I like but the software doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet - at least in Roon. I'm running version 0.1.3e:

2016-06-23 21_57_11-Roon.jpg

2016-06-23 21_57_30-Roon.jpg

I'm struggling to get it running. Roon cannot see it. When it saw it, it run for 1 second then stop. I see you are running it in DLNA.

The unit is very slow which I like but the software doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet - at least in Roon. I'm running version 0.1.3e:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27188[/ATTACH]

How you tried running it in DLNA-mode? You could use the free Kazoo app via your phone/tablet, just to get it running and form some impressions.

How you tried running it in DLNA-mode? You could use the free Kazoo app via your phone/tablet, just to get it running and form some impressions.

I did not try DLNA mode but... 5 reboots later including DAC reboots, it finally worked. It takes several minutes for a new set-up to be recognized so making immediate changes confuses the unit. Boot-up takes over 2 minutes before the unit stabilizes. DSD doesn't seem to work yet at least in Roon.

My initial impression is it already beats my desktop unit on most qualities running Foobar directly connected to the DAC. It appears SOtM already did burn-in on this unit for me. I hope this wasn't the unit intended for Chris - LOL!. There is a certain 3D qualities to it. Sound is wide and seems to form an arc instead of just the front row all in line. Instrument separation is not perfect but instrument location is excellent. I hope it will improve over time. The highs are very sweet. Bass is slightly more extended. I'm upgrading my network to CAT6a this weekend and placed an order for a SOtM iSO-CAT6 so that should help. I didn't realize that a music server can influence the sound this much.

The unit is fed with 12Vdc LPS from Light Harmonics. I'm burning it more now. It will run 24/7 from now on with pink noise when I'm not using it. Noise floor is definitely reduced on this unit. Now hoping someone will be nice enough to take measurements ;).

Serial# 00008:

DSC_0017.jpg

Hi all,

I am a newbie in CA, I have the following set up and available equipments.

- NAS: intel NUC,

- Media storage: Synology 215J & a USB Thumb Drive

- DAC: a Chord Mojo & a Geek V2+ (still waiting)

I just got an idea of my CA setup would like to ask your advices:

i) I would like to purchase the SMS-200 as a media server (I don't want to use the Intel NUC, since it is somehow not that "good".).

ii) A USB thumb drive (stores all of the music files) plugs in directly to the SMS-200.

iii) A SMS-200 connects to the home network router (prefer only to be used with an Apple iPhone be a remote control of the SMS-200).

iv) The SMS-200 connects to the DAC then to the pre-amp.

My question:

1) Does this CA system work?

2) Which setting should I use (i.e. ROON Ready, SqueezeLite or Logitech Media Server)?

3) Or do I still need the 215J and/or NUC?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I am a newbie in CA, I have the following set up and available equipments.

- NAS: intel NUC,

- Media storage: Synology 215J & a USB Thumb Drive

- DAC: a Chord Mojo & a Geek V2+ (still waiting)

I just got an idea of my CA setup would like to ask your advices:

i) I would like to purchase the SMS-200 as a media server (I don't want to use the Intel NUC, since it is somehow not that "good".).

ii) A USB thumb drive (stores all of the music files) plugs in directly to the SMS-200.

iii) A SMS-200 connects to the home network router (prefer only to be used with an Apple iPhone be a remote control of the SMS-200).

iv) The SMS-200 connects to the DAC then to the pre-amp.

My question:

1) Does this CA system work?

2) Which setting should I use (i.e. ROON Ready, SqueezeLite or Logitech Media Server)?

3) Or do I still need the 215J and/or NUC?

Thanks.

waimac --

Welcome to CA :)

I'm definately not the expert here, but I would start out using the Synology 215J as network storage, activate the sMS-200 as a DLNA renderer and connect it to your DAC via USB, and get the free Kazoo app for your iPhone as a control point. That's how I'm using the sMS-200 as is, and it works flawlessly. Be sure to get CAT6 (or higher) Ethernet cables.

Hi phusis,

Thanks for your information. I placed an order of the SMS-200, I will give it a try your recommended setting. :) thanks.

If you are not happy with Kazoo, try the Lumin app.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

If you are not happy with Kazoo, try the Lumin app.

May try out the Lumin app as well - thanks for the heads-up. Does it even make any sense speaking of sound quality differences with the different apps used, or is it strictly about usability?

Hi phusis,

Thanks for your information. I placed an order of the SMS-200, I will give it a try your recommended setting. :) thanks.

Be aware that the software is still work in progress. I believe the hardware is already completed and that is the reason it started shipping. I was told about this only after I purchased the unit. The good thing is, the software works on the player I intended to use it - Roon. But whether it is optimized yet, I will reserve any further judgement until the software is officially released.

May try out the Lumin app as well - thanks for the heads-up. Does it even make any sense speaking of sound quality differences with the different apps used, or is it strictly about usability?

I second this. Very interested to know whether control points have any effect on music signal. If I understand correctly its not along the path between server and renderer which is one of DLNA playback merits, but I stand to be corrected.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

I am new to network audio, still building my kit, but the advantage of a multi-node setup is only the renderer determines the sound, assuming the server puts the corect bits on the network. It seems the simpler the renderer is the better the sound. I also use Lumin on iOS for control, after trying many.

I second this. Very interested to know whether control points have any effect on music signal. If I understand correctly its not along the path between server and renderer which is one of DLNA playback merits, but I stand to be corrected.
Indeed, under standard UPnP/DLNA and OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) the control point merely supplies the renderer with the network addresses of the music files to stream from the media server. Actual network streaming of music files is strictly a communication between the UPnP renderer and the UPnP media server, so does not involve the UPnP control point.

In fact, as far as sound quality is concerned, it shouldn't even make a difference what UPnP media server you are using, since the decoding and playback of the music file into the digital audio signal supplied to the DAC, occours entirely in the UPnP renderer, ie, under UPnP/DLNA the network does not form part of the audio playback chain.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am new to network audio, still building my kit, but the advantage of a multi-node setup is only the renderer determines the sound, assuming the server puts the corect bits on the network. It seems the simpler the renderer is the better the sound. I also use Lumin on iOS for control, after trying many.
Agreed, since by mentioning the Lumin OpenHome control point app, you are implying using the sMS-200 as a UPnP/DLNA renderer and therefore only it (and therefore not the network) is involved in decoding the music files.

However, this is not the case when the sMS-200 is being used as a Roon endpoint, where by using the proprietary Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT), the audio playback chain does actually start with the Roon server and therefore involves the network path to the sMS-200.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

However, this is not the case when the sMS-200 is being used as a Roon endpoint, where by using the proprietary Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT), the audio playback chain does actually start with the Roon server and therefore involves the network path to the sMS-200.

Interesting you brought this up since this is my set-up. Let's say I have a Roon Server running in a NAS connected through ethernet to sMS-200 (Roon Bridge) to the DAC and I have the music files stored in an SSD drive attached to sMS-200. What is the path of the audio chain?

1. SSD in sMS-200 ► ethernet ► Roon Server in NAS ► ethernet ► sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

...or

2. SSD in sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

Number 2 makes a lot more sense. The Roon Server only acts as a hook retrieving the meta tags from the SSD and sends instruction packets to the sMS-200 so it will know what to play. The audio bits will then travel unobstructed from the SSD to the sMS-200 then to the DAC but I am not certain if this is how Roon works.

Number 2 will bypass the entire ethernet network as part of the audio chain. This is tremendous advantage to the sMS-200 and Roon if this is the case.

Agreed, since by mentioning the Lumin OpenHome control point app, you are implying using the sMS-200 as a UPnP/DLNA renderer and therefore only it (and therefore not the network) is involved in decoding the music files.

So in that case Roon puts more variables in the path and is not as ideal, correct? I know people are crazy about Roon but anyone notice a compromise in SQ compared to DLNA? I acknowledge that Roon's appeal is its incredible user experience which is tempting me to give it a try too.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

My intention was to point out how the two technologies differ in their use of the network as far as the (real-time) digital audio signal is concerned. The Roon's RAAT system uses the network to carry it, whereas UPnP/DLNA doesn't. In Roon/RAAT the audio file decoder/player is on the sender (server) side of the network, whereas in UPnP/DLNA the audio file decoder/player is on the receiver (client/renderer/endpoint) side of the network.

You need consider both technologies as a whole, not just their network use, before you can draw the sorts of conclusions you are suggesting.

-- Jo Cox

Interesting you brought this up since this is my set-up. Let's say I have a Roon Server running in a NAS connected through ethernet to sMS-200 (Roon Bridge) to the DAC and I have the music files stored in an SSD drive attached to sMS-200. What is the path of the audio chain?

1. SSD in sMS-200 ► ethernet ► Roon Server in NAS ► ethernet ► sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

...or

2. SSD in sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

Number 2 makes a lot more sense. The Roon Server only acts as a hook retrieving the meta tags from the SSD and sends instruction packets to the sMS-200 so it will know what to play. The audio bits will then travel unobstructed from the SSD to the sMS-200 then to the DAC but I am not certain if this is how Roon works.

Number 2 will bypass the entire ethernet network as part of the audio chain. This is tremendous advantage to the sMS-200 and Roon if this is the case.

I would not consider an SSD (nor any other computer file storage device for that matter) that just stores the yet to be decoded music files, as being part of the audio chain.

The 'complication' of storing the music files on an SSD attached to the sMS-200 means you'll be using the sMS-200's file server/networked shared folders capability. This will simply allow the Roon Server software running on the NAS to access over the network all of the data (& not just the "meta tags") contained in those music files stored on the SSD attached to the sMS-200. Although this file data is not the actual digital audio signal and therefore not considered part of the audio chain, it will certainly not "by pass" the network.

The actual alternative audio chain paths are:

1. Roon Server in NAS ► ethernet ► sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

...or

2. sMS-200 ► USB ► DAC

However, like I've mentioned in my previous posts, the Roon Server application decodes and plays the music files, not the sMS-200 in Roon ready/Roon endpoint mode. This is option Number 1, not 2.

So in your specific setup, the network is being used both for network file sharing and as part of the audio chain!!

-- Jo Cox

Indeed, under standard UPnP/DLNA and OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) the control point merely supplies the renderer with the network addresses of the music files to stream from the media server. Actual network streaming of music files is strictly a communication between the UPnP renderer and the UPnP media server, so does not involve the UPnP control point.

In fact, as far as sound quality is concerned, it shouldn't even make a difference what UPnP media server you are using, since the decoding and playback of the music file into the digital audio signal supplied to the DAC, occours entirely in the UPnP renderer, ie, under UPnP/DLNA the network does not form part of the audio playback chain.

We have disagreed on this before.. theory should not be used as dogma where empirical experimentation is cheap and easy. Control points can influence sound quality in a good solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I've certainly never doubted your observations and only ever queried your conclusions re the theory employed by the actual designers of those systems, without judgement - the variables in this world are just that, infinite!

-- Jo Cox