IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

So there are 2 camps then regarding influence of control point on the music signal. For those who think 'yes' may I know which control point is regarded superior in terms of SQ? Hopefully one that integrates Tidal.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

I'm thinking about getting one of these but I have 2+ questions.

Currently I'm using a NUC running MPD which is controlled by UPMPDCLI and Kazoo. Love Kazoo! My music server is minimserver. Really love minim server as it lets me organize my classical in a way that makes sense to me. Those pieces are each running on a different computer just because. Roon didn't work out for me as it does not recognize some of my classical music.

(1) Where does one actually buy one of these?

(2+) Does the MPD built into the SMS-200 allow network access? I guess it must for the MPD controller apps to work?

Has anyone needed to modify the mpd.conf on it? I have needed to increase the buffers in MPD (audio_buffer_size and buffer_before_play) to get high res long classical pieces to play without hiccupping.

...Roon didn't work out for me as it does not recognize some of my classical music.

(1) Where does one actually buy one of these?

(2+) Does the MPD built into the SMS-200 allow network access? I guess it must for the MPD controller apps to work?

Has anyone needed to modify the mpd.conf on it? I have needed to increase the buffers in MPD (audio_buffer_size and buffer_before_play) to get high res long classical pieces to play without hiccupping.

Roon still needs some work with classical music. The developer recognize that.

You can buy the sMS-200 directly from the manufacturer. Ask May (sotm.marketing at gmail.com). The unit is not officially under distribution yet in the US if that is where you are from.

With regard to MPD, I'm sure you'll not need buffer size mod. It was designed to play up to DSDx256. I tried it with Roon and dsf with crazy conversion from 1411.2kHz down to 352.8kHz without breaking a sweat.

There is daily firmware update and it's performance improved quite significantly the last few days. Roon is expected to be certified within a week.

2016-07-03 13_39_46-New notification.jpg

There is daily firmware update and it's performance improved quite significantly the last few days. [...].

Interesting. I'm abroad right now and won't be home until Friday, so will look forward to test out these firmware updates myself. The days prior to heading off I had noticed a shift in the sound towards a leaner and even rather pale imprinting, but it then returned to a fuller and more natural presence. The fluctuations in sonics while running-in an audio component - I'm quite familiar with it.

Could it be that an aspect of the improvements you hear is related to the sMS-200 simply being progressively run-in? SOtM has an interesting say on "aging:"

SOtM - English | Aging for SOtM products

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Could it be that an aspect of the improvements you hear is related to the sMS-200 simply being progressively run-in? SOtM has an interesting say on "aging:"

SOtM - English | Aging for SOtM products

This is possible. The unit is running continuously for over a week now. I upgraded my network to CAT6a and added an ethernet filter so that contributes also as part of the chain being aged. I just read the link you provided. That's an interesting article about the component and design choices by SOtM.

My unit is already as best as it can be. It met my cost/performance target for the whole set-up. I'm just enjoying the music right now. Any further improvement from here is a bonus.

By the way, in the last update, the operating indicator lamp (LED at the right) continuously blinks even if there is no audio being passed on. I wonder what the changed in the last update was.

Does a Wifi-USB dongle/adapter work with the sms-200 to connect to an iPad or WLAN? I am looking for a simple setup not requiring a lot of boxes and cables like routers, NAS etc.. I like to add just a little USB SSD drive to be +/- independent from any computer and network - at least for playback.

Does a Wifi-USB dongle/adapter work with the sms-200 to connect to an iPad or WLAN? I am looking for a simple setup not requiring a lot of boxes and cables like routers, NAS etc.. I like to add just a little USB SSD drive to be +/- independent from any computer and network - at least for playback.

If you can get access to the microSD and have access to the root ID and password, you can. The software runs on a custom Linux Fedora so simply adding the necessary drivers can make it work. The challenge is in accessing the microSD to make the changes. I was trying to make a backup of the card but Windows did not recognize it. A Linux box might but I haven't gone that route yet.

If you can get access to the microSD and have access to the root ID and password, you can.

Do they allow that?

Once I get mine I'm hoping to log onto it and tweak some changes on my network to see what effect it has on the SMS-200. Things like sending it FLAC vs WAV and comparing the CPU utilization. Sorry to be such a propeller-head...

Do they allow that?

I haven't asked for the password but I doubt they will allow it. Everything needed is in the Eunhasu interface except for the bandwidth or memory tweaking.

One thing I haven't tried is use an off the shelf OS - Voyage MPD, Volumio, Archphile, Arch Linux, etc. comes to mind. SOtM advertises it as having custom ARM based CPU. Whether any of the aforementioned Linux distribution will run remains to be seen. I didn't have a need for it because RAAT and NAA is what I will be using it anyway.

Everything needed is in the Eunhasu interface except for the bandwidth or memory tweaking.

I'm interested in seeing what effect changing options on e.g. minimserver has on the SMS-200. I don't want to try to tweak the SMS-200; it's an appliance after all. It just would be handy to see some performance numbers from it after makng such changes to other parts of the system.

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum and eager to be advised of the following. I am intrested in sms 200 and is already at stage of money remittance. But I would not like to buy the device in vain, since I am not assured as to compatibility with my DAC - Luxman da-06. I would be obliged to the members of the forum for any helpful info this issue concerned. Has anybody had a deal with this units combination or maybe Luxman DACs with SOtM on the whole? Are these very both, in partiular, compatible? The manufacturer has not had any experience with this DAC and sms 200.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum and eager to be advised of the following. I am intrested in sms 200 and is already at stage of money remittance. But I would not like to buy the device in vain, since I am not assured as to compatibility with my DAC - Luxman da-06. I would be obliged to the members of the forum for any helpful info this issue concerned. Has anybody had a deal with this units combination or maybe Luxman DACs with SOtM on the whole? Are these very both, in partiular, compatible? The manufacturer has not had any experience with this DAC and sms 200.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Check with Luxman whether the DAC can work with USB on Linux. If yes, you are fine. If no, cancel order or buy new DAC.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Thanks for your reply.

The matter is, Luxman support is being carried out through Chinese affiliate. I did inquire them twice, no reply. As for Luxman USB output - it works somehow (if I am not mistaken) with Aurender (Linux)...nevertheless, microRendu team informed me some time ago of their impossibility to give me any guarantee on work with da-06 and their device. Would be best to get info from a person who had real experience with SOtM sources and Luxman DACs.

This is possible. The unit is running continuously for over a week now. I upgraded my network to CAT6a and added an ethernet filter so that contributes also as part of the chain being aged. I just read the link you provided. That's an interesting article about the component and design choices by SOtM.

My unit is already as best as it can be. It met my cost/performance target for the whole set-up. I'm just enjoying the music right now. Any further improvement from here is a bonus.

By the way, in the last update, the operating indicator lamp (LED at the right) continuously blinks even if there is no audio being passed on. I wonder what the changed in the last update was.

For some reason I can't get the latest firmware update to appear on the Eunhasu page. Only the oldest one appears, and says it's up to date? Did you get the upgraded version to appear readily?

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

For some reason I can't get the latest firmware update to appear on the Eunhasu page. Only the oldest one appears, and says it's up to date? Did you get the upgraded version to appear readily?

I get updates almost every day. The only day without one was Monday, I think. As soon as you click the little arrow under System Setup, it will tell if there is a new version available. Here's one for today:

2016-07-08 18_35_31-Start.jpg

RoonReady is now set although still uncertified.

Hi, another question:

Does anyone know whether the the mBPS-d2s battery psu is compatible with the sMS-200 or if there is a new psu on it's way.

I currently use a sms-100 together with a mBPS-d2s and think the pus improves the performance significantly.

Thanks & regards

Hi, another question:

Does anyone know whether the the mBPS-d2s battery psu is compatible with the sMS-200 or if there is a new psu on it's way.

I currently use a sms-100 together with a mBPS-d2s and think the pus improves the performance significantly.

Thanks & regards

The mBPS-d2s battery PSU is compatible with the sMS-200.

My SMS-200 finally arrived. serial # 0004X ha ha.. will give it a test in next few days

My setting

music (FLAC) in USB DRIVE --> SMS-200 --> USB --> Chord MOJO --> 3.5mm to RCA --> Marantz 7C (Tube - original) --> E.A.R. Mono Block Amp (Tube) --> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand :)