IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

In the context of the discussion above, it seems to me to be a good idea to have a way to test each flow (or output mode) for being bit perfect (of course, assuming that it is supposed to be bit perfect - this does not apply to HQP with up-sampling). I borrow the idea from Audiolab, which implemented such a test on their M-DAC. The idea is simple. You can download a specific file from their site (there are two files - one redbook, one hi-res). You then feed the file through your specific flow after telling the DAC to enter bit perfect test. The DAC checks what is fed to it and tells you whether it's equivalent to the original. Since in many flows there are many components and settings that could affect whether playback is bit perfect, this is very useful for verifying that the flow operates as expected.

I think it would be cool if a similar procedure could be implemented by sonore on the mRendu output, which is one step upstream from the DAC. So here's how it would work. You would download a file on the sonore site and would feed it to the mRendu in each output mode you would want to test. The mRendu would run the output mode and would test on the final USB output stage whether its output is the file it expects. It might even disable the output itself and just do the test if that seems more elegant. This way we would be able to know whether our setup is configured as we expected, at the least in the modes that are expected to be bit perfect.

No worries Kenny.

I continue to be very impressed with the SQ of Roon->HQPlayer->microRendu->iFi Nano. So what's the cost of this setup all-in? Around $1k! In this hobby, this is simply ridiculous for the SQ you get. Should be a wake-up call for many so-called 'high-end' companies out there.

I'll give more thoughts on the microRendu vs. my tricked-out audio PC later in the following thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/microrendu-and-hqplayer-28720/

Mani

Look forward to what you find out. I'm wondering if because I use a standard 2011 Mac mini as my server as to why I'm not getting the drastic difference in performance with the hqplayer output on the uRendu like you and Kenny.

I really should just keep quiet as I'm very happy with the performance of the Roon Ready output being able to use Tidal with Roon and now discovering I don't need all the USB tweaks like the Regen and Intona or any particular USB cable as the hard adapter is just as good if not better than anything else I've tried. The simplicity of my setup is so great, thank you Jesus!

I guess I'm just curious why some are experiencing such different results than me with Roon/hqplayer.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Look forward to what you find out. I'm wondering if because I use a standard 2011 Mac mini as my server as to why I'm not getting the drastic difference in performance with the hqplayer output on the uRendu like you and Kenny.

I really should just keep quiet as I'm very happy with the performance of the Roon Ready output being able to use Tidal with Roon and now discovering I don't need all the USB tweaks like the Regen and Intona or any particular USB cable as the hard adapter is just as good if not better than anything else I've tried. The simplicity of my setup is so great, thank you Jesus!

I guess I'm just curious why some are experiencing such different results than me with Roon/hqplayer.

Nothing wrong with simple:) There will always be 1%ers pushing the envelope of what is possible and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Nothing wrong with simple:) There will always be 1%ers pushing the envelope of what is possible and there is nothing wrong with that either.

The only thing I'm tempted to try different is the power supply for the microRendu. Currently using the "el cheapo" and am actually interested in the Signature Series PS you have. Any idea what the lead time is these days for one?

Noticed on your site that fuses can be upgraded to SR, are there any fuses inside the Signature Series case or is it just by the iec inlet?

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

The only thing I'm tempted to try different is the power supply for the microRendu. Currently using the "el cheapo" and am actually interested in the Signature Series PS you have. Any idea what the lead time is these days for one?

Noticed on your site that fuses can be upgraded to SR, are there any fuses inside the Signature Series case or is it just by the iec inlet?

I got my Sonore Signature Power Supply within 7-8 days of ordering it!

I continue to be very impressed with the SQ of Roon->HQPlayer->microRendu->iFi Nano. So what's the cost of this setup all-in? Around $1k! In this hobby, this is simply ridiculous for the SQ you get. Should be a wake-up call for many so-called 'high-end' companies out there.

And likewise for me it's Roon->HQPlayer->microRendu->Chord Mojo. Simply ridiculous SQ for the money! A tremendous upgrade from the setup I was using up to a few months ago, which was Aries->REGEN->Mytek Stereo 192.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Interesting and that he and I are both using battery-powered DACs. I think this has something to do with the Mojo's low noise floor.

I'm not sure I would have had as great of an appreciation for the benefits of Roon/HQP/microRendu with my former DAC. Noise floor was too high.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I got my Sonore Signature Power Supply within 7-8 days of ordering it!

I was just reading your early comments on the Signature PS...again. Trying to resist temptation but it's probably inevitable.

You mentioned the separation of instruments and voices with the Signature PS added in which is something I noticed early on going from the Aries to the microRendu. Seems like the mRendu does something spatially to the soundstage making it more balanced than the Aries.

Jesus:

I am having a custom pre-amp built (Luminous Audio Axiom II - XLR version) and I need to know the output voltage of my source components, which will be the micro rendu

Thus, what is the output voltage of the micro rendu?

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Greg

greg,

the output voltage they want is the output voltage from the dac, not the microrendu. for an xlr output, it is typically 4v.

btw -- you'll love the axiom ii. it really sounds great (by doing essentially nothing)!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

What are your HQPlayer settings?

And what can you tell us about your Lampi? PCM and DSD128?

The Signature Power Supply (SPS) is hand built to order, so I would advise potential customers that it could take 2-4 weeks to receive them. But this depends quite a bit on parts availability. Right now parts are all in stock, so builds can proceed immediately upon ordering. There is quite a demand right now, so if you are interested I would suggest getting your order in.

The only fuses on the SPS are the two fuses in the drawer built in to the IEC, there are no additional internal fuses.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

The Signature Power Supply (SPS) is hand built to order, so I would advise potential customers that it could take 2-4 weeks to receive them. But this depends quite a bit on parts availability. Right now parts are all in stock, so builds can proceed immediately upon ordering. There is quite a demand right now, so if you are interested I would suggest getting your order in.

The only fuses on the SPS are the two fuses in the drawer built in to the IEC, there are no additional internal fuses.

Thanks for the info. As much as I've enjoyed the SR Black fuses in the system I'm really liking the Furutech TF fuses right now. I'll try both with the SPS.

What are your HQPlayer settings?

And what can you tell us about your Lampi? PCM and DSD128?

Thanks for asking. Just checked what I had for settings with hqplayer...

Dac bits-16

PCM Defaults-

filter- none

dither-none

sample rate-44100

SDM Defaults-

over sampling- poly-sinc

Modulator- asdm7

Bit rate- 2048000

Max volume at 0db

The L4 was ordered when dsd was an extra charge and since I didn't have any dsd files or thought of upsampling I just got pcm only. Two months later Lukasz started throwing in dsd for same price as pcm only....

Thanks for asking. Just checked what I had for settings with hqplayer...

Dac bits-16

PCM Defaults-

filter- none

dither-none

sample rate-44100

SDM Defaults-

over sampling- poly-sinc

Modulator- asdm7

Bit rate- 2048000

Max volume at 0db

The L4 was ordered when dsd was an extra charge and since I didn't have any dsd files or thought of upsampling I just got pcm only. Two months later Lukasz started throwing in dsd for same price as pcm only....

Bummer that you can’t try upsampling to DSD…

Maybe Lukasz will give you a good price on an upgrade. Good luck with that.

I don’t have a lampi, so the following are just some basic things you can try:

Have you tried it with DAC bits set at default (rather than 16)? I would test that (if you haven’t).

Also, I would set the sample rate at the maximum sampling rate of the DAC instead of 44.1 (unless you’re sure you don’t want to try upsampling and you’re sure you don’t have any content with a sampling rate higher than 44.1).

What is the max sampling rate of your DAC?

To send native files (no upsampling, etc.), have the 4 fields in the main HQPlayer window read none, none, Auto, PCM. This would be none, none, 44.1, PCM if you decide to leave the default sampling rate alone.

Do you know if your PCM lampi is R2R or not?

If not, I would play around with PCM upsampling if you haven’t already (after you test the DAC bits setting).

Under PCM Defaults:

If you’re going to test upsampling, try poly-sinc as filter and maybe NS4 noise shaping (under Dither option) to start with. Make sure the maximum sampling rate of your DAC is correct under Sample Rate (/Limit). I would also check Auto rate family.

To upsample, have the 4 fields in the main HQPlayer window read filter choice (poly-sinc in the example), dither/ns choice (NS4 in the example), Auto, PCM.

Thanks for the info clipper.

Hqplayer doesn't even want to play correctly now. Tried playing before even making the setting changes you suggested and it keeps stuttering and getting chopped up. The last track even sounded slower while stuttering.

Yesterday when it was working the thing that annoyed me was a 2-3 second delay when selecting another track or hitting pause or play. Not too impressed so far with hqplayer.

And what about DSD

I does not quite understand how this works. I have my 16 bits flac files on a computer/server today with J-river. I have a DAC thats cabable of DSD512. The computer is not the quickest in the world ( an NUC I3 machine). Is the upsampling done in the computer or does the MR take over this job? What terminology is used when one upsamples from 16 bit to DSD? Is it native DSD ?

Sorry for my questions?

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

And what about DSD

I does not quite understand how this works. I have my 16 bits flac files on a computer/server today with J-river. I have a DAC thats cabable of DSD512. The computer is not the quickest in the world ( an NUC I3 machine). Is the upsampling done in the computer or does the MR take over this job? What terminology is used when one upsamples from 16 bit to DSD? Is it native DSD ?

Sorry for my questions?

Regards Magnus

Upsampling happens on the NUC. Your mRendu only has an ARM V7 processor, which is nowhere near powerful enough. Other questions should be answered by others as I don't upsample myself.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi Jesus,

I am using Mytek 192 DSD DAC and now setting up my new uRendu. However, uRendu does not recognize USB2.0 of Mytek 192 DSD DAC. Only USB1.1 can be recognized. I also check that is the situation with the DAC diagnostics. That means uRendu can only play up to 96kHz with Mytek 192 DSD DAC on USB 1.1?

Could you tell if uRendu can support Mytek 192 DSD DAC on USB2.0 for 192kHz and DSD?

Thanks.

Hi Jesus,

I am using Mytek 192 DSD DAC and now setting up my new uRendu. However, uRendu does not recognize USB2.0 of Mytek 192 DSD DAC. Only USB1.1 can be recognized. I also check that is the situation with the DAC diagnostics. That means uRendu can only play up to 96kHz with Mytek 192 DSD DAC on USB 1.1?

Could you tell if uRendu can support Mytek 192 DSD DAC on USB2.0 for 192kHz and DSD?

Thanks.

See problem 6 on the "Sonicorbiter - Known Issues" thread.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

bmrcc, power cycle the DAC then boot up the microRendu. You should get a signal lock of 88.2 when it's ready.

Wonderful !!

It works just by following your advice. USB2.0 is seen with 88.2 after uRendu is rebooted. Play now with 192kHz as well as DSD.

Thank you so much [emoji1]

Hmm. My mR has arrived in the UK but according to the UPS tracking notes it could not be delivered due to "payment of charges". Import duty? Meanwhile the item is being held while addressee - me - is notified! Anyone have any idea what this might entail (cost)?

Andyman, Most likely your parcel is at your local sorting office and you will have to pay custom charge of 20%. This is common practice. Also the Post Office may not tell you any more info, this has happened to me many times and I've had to track down the parcel myself..

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.