IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

If all you want to do is have the microRendu find your music, then hang the music off any computer in your network and throw the free Minimserver app on that computer, pointing it to your music. The microRendu will find it and play it.

Or if you want to enjoy the wonderful SRC filters and/or SD modulators of HQ Player, then just choose NAA in the microRendu's web-interface menu and then NAA as back-end/device in HQ Player preferences (on your desktop/laptop) and you are good to go! Drag albums, open playlists, or use HQP's library function (I never have) to play music from any local or network-accessible drive.

@Dimitris71

It’s an unreleased product. No date or distribution info yet.

Price is $640. Again no info on international prizes.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Or if you want to enjoy the wonderful SRC filters and/or SD modulators of HQ Player, then just choose NAA in the microRendu's web-interface menu and then NAA as back-end/device in HQ Player preferences (on your desktop/laptop) and you are good to go! Drag albums, open playlists, or use HQP's library function (I never have) to play music from any local or network-accessible drive.

Thanks, but what I LOVE about what I'm using now (see signature) is that there is NO (regular) COMPUTER in my audio system and I very much want to keep it that way.

Thanks, but what I LOVE about what I'm using now (see signature) is that there is NO (regular) COMPUTER in my audio system and I very much want to keep it that way.

Doak: I would consider that if the "computer" is connected by Ethernet, it is not really "in" your system. Best way to achieve this is to place the computer elsewhere in your home, and on the other phase of your AC power from the audio system. Doing this really isolates the computer from the audio system, as the distance eliminates any possibility of airborne interference, and the Ethernet connection effectively isolates the system from the vast majority of the electrical interference. A NAS is also a relatively noisy component, being an ordinary consumer device built to the lowest possible price point, but getting it "away" from the audio system, both electrically and physically effectively isolates it.

My experiments so far have shown me that something like a MacMini with the best processor available actually appears to produce less noise than a Synology NAS, but I have not tested other NAS devices...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

My experiments so far have shown me that something like a MacMini with the best processor available actually appears to produce less noise than a Synology NAS, but I have not tested other NAS devices...

Barrows, you also said

"Earlier in this thread someone posted that serving the music files over Ethernet results in a compromise; the µRendu has proven to me that this claim is utter nonsense."

So, with the micro rendu, does it matter whether the music files are on a relatively noisy consumer grade NAS vs something like a Mac mini if we follow your advice in post #605?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

No. What we call the "output mode" is in reference to what applications run on the microRendu. All the output modes on the microRendu are ported to stream via the USB port. On the Sonicorbter SE the output modes can be ported to stream to the units optical output or USB port selectable by the user via the GUI.

Ah, the selected application runs on the microRendu, not on the server?

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Ah, the selected application runs on the microRendu, not on the server?

I think the answer to this is yes, but...

Squeezelite, the NAA, and Roon Ready, for instance run on the microRendu, but you have to have either LMS, HQP, or Roon (respectively) running somewhere else on a networked computer to act as the "server" program to it's specific output/playback application. The microRendu is running the "output version" (my term) of the software needed for playback in each case, not the full server version of the program.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Right Firedog.

And the setting of the microRendu's output mode and any other configuration changes is via a web interface. That is, the microRendu hosts is own local web page. Once you know its IP address on your network you just go to its page. And Sonore has made the discovery of the device and its IP address really easy: You just point your computer browser to some internet web page and it finds your microRendu and then opens a new window for you right to the control panel. Elegant genius really. Designed for dummies like me! ;)

Squeezelite, the NAA, and Roon Ready, for instance run on the microRendu, but you have to have either LMS, HQP, or Roon (respectively) running somewhere else on a networked computer to act as the "server" program to it's specific output/playback application. The microRendu is running the "output version" (my term) of the software needed for playback in each case, not the full server version of the program.

Thank you, firedog. So, for example, LMS runs on a networked device somewhere (computer, NAS, or server) and Squeezelite runs on the micro Rendu that is next to the DAC. Correct?

Jesus,

I'm trying to understand what the microRendu does, but I'm thoroughly confused by the product description.

If the output of the microRendu is USB, then aren't the "selectable output modes" in the product description really (Ethernet} input modes?

Please help me understand how this product is intended to function. Thanks.

Best regards,

Guido F.

Think of the "output mode" as setting the type of server it will talk to. If in squeezelite mode it talks to an LMS server, if in DLNA mode it talks to a DLNA server, if in roon mode it talks to a roon server.

It is defining what it will talk to.

John S.

Yup. Exactly.

Think of the "output mode" as setting the type of server it will talk to. If in squeezelite mode it talks to an LMS server, if in DLNA mode it talks to a DLNA server, if in roon mode it talks to a roon server.

It is defining what it will talk to.

John S.

Thank you all! It took a while, but I think I now understand how this device works.

In my defense, the term "output mode" is what confused me, as I understood the device's output mode was USB, and USB only.

But it's all clear now ;-)

Guido F.

What you use for a server does not have to be a general purpose computer (but it CAN be), for example I'm a squeezebox universe person so I have LMS running on a separate server machine, it is a little Fit-PC2 with a hard drive installed, I put vortexbox software on it which is super easy to install and setup. It fits in the palm of my hand and takes about 6 watts. It's an industrial computer so it just works. No keyboard, no display, no one playing games on etc, the only interface is an Ethernet cable.

John S.

In the typical 2 computer Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup to get the best sound it is advised to optimize the hardware and to supply the cleanest power to both computers.

If I decide to buy the microRendu my control PC in the above setup will perform a similar function in supplying a feed to the microRendu. in the Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup both computers are directly connected by land cable.

What I was wondering is whether your music sever because it will no longer be connected directly but streams through the Ethernet, needs to be optimized in the same way that the Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup?

What you use for a server does not have to be a general purpose computer (but it CAN be), for example I'm a squeezebox universe person so I have LMS running on a separate server machine, it is a little Fit-PC2 with a hard drive installed, I put vortexbox software on it which is super easy to install and setup. It fits in the palm of my hand and takes about 6 watts. It's an industrial computer so it just works. No keyboard, no display, no one playing games on etc, the only interface is an Ethernet cable.

John S.

Thanks John.

That hits more of where I'm coming from.

I want to spend less (much less) time "dicking with" a computer and lots more enjoying music. My current "digital audio renderer/bridge appliance" has served very well in that regard. I am also interested in getting the best sound I can reasonably get out of digital music files.

Whatever gizmo that can satisfy both of those needs wins IMO.

I've been actively using computers since the early '80s and have been an active audiophile much longer than that. I love music. I do not love computers.

In the typical 2 computer Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup to get the best sound it is advised to optimize the hardware and to supply the cleanest power to both computers.

If I decide to buy the microRendu my control PC in the above setup will perform a similar function in supplying a feed to the microRendu. in the Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup both computers are directly connected by land cable.

What I was wondering is whether your music sever because it will no longer be connected directly but streams through the Ethernet, needs to be optimized in the same way that the Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer setup?

It will likely not. See Chris'comments in his Sonic orbiter SE review. The microrendu functions similarly but is isolated even better.

John S.

John, is this computer capable of upsampling to DSD (especially DSD256)? I imagine you run LMS with the internal/external drive with your music library and then connect to the microRendu via Squeezelite.

Do you need a DAC attached to the Fit-pc that runs LMS? More specifically do you need any audio device on the Fit-pc to run LMS or you only need tha DAC connected to microRendu and nothing else? Lastly, in the case of LMS, is the Fit-pc going to do the DSD upsampling?

Please excuse my questions, I am an LMS/Squeezelite newbie...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

@Dimitris71

It’s an unreleased product. No date or distribution info yet.

Price is $640. Again no info on international prizes.

Why would the international price be different? The only difference will be shipping charges and import duties to each country.

Dimitris, if you also live in Greece, i think our import duties will be around €150 plus any shipping charges, so better to calculate the total cost around €800-€900 excluding shipping and WITHOUT the power supply!

John, is this computer capable of upsampling to DSD (especially DSD256)? I imagine you run LMS with the internal/external drive with your music library and then connect to the microRendu via Squeezelite.

Do you need a DAC attached to the Fit-pc that runs LMS? More specifically do you need any audio device on the Fit-pc to run LMS or you only need tha DAC connected to microRendu and nothing else? Lastly, in the case of LMS, is the Fit-pc going to do the DSD upsampling?

Please excuse my questions, I am an LMS/Squeezelite newbie...

The server machine does not have to have any form of audio hardware at all. Power and Ethernet, that is it.

I don't use DSD so I'm not sure what the capabilities are. Are you talking about converting DSD to PCM or PCM to DSD? I actually have not followed what LMS does with DSD since I don't use DSD.

The DAC I use does a phenomenal job with PCM and the microRendu, much better than I have heard DSD do on other's systems. So I have not had much incentive to look into DSD.

The Fit-PC2 has been around for a long time, it is not the most powerful machine out there, it does fine as a server, I don't know if it has the juice to handle heavy DSP at the same time.

John S.

The PC I'll be using to serve the music files is silent and located in my listening room (connected to a different electrical circuit than the 2 channel system). Can I also use it to open a browser window to control the Microrendu while its serving the music files? Any negative effect to this? I haven't decided what mode to use yet if it matters.

Thanks.

Why would the international price be different? The only difference will be shipping charges and import duties to each country.

Dimitris, if you also live in Greece, i think our import duties will be around €150 plus any shipping charges, so better to calculate the total cost around €800-€900 excluding shipping and WITHOUT the power supply!

I reckon the $640 is MSRP inclusive of local tax?

So, international price would be $640 minus (approx) 12% plus country import tax plus shipping cost, converted to local currency?

The PC I'll be using to serve the music files is silent and located in my listening room (connected to a different electrical circuit than the 2 channel system). Can I also use it to open a browser window to control the Microrendu while its serving the music files? Any negative effect to this? I haven't decided what mode to use yet if it matters.

Thanks.

I can see why that would be an issues.

I reckon the $640 is MSRP inclusive of local tax?

So, international price would be $640 minus (approx) 12% plus country import tax plus shipping cost, converted to local currency?

You reckoned wrong...the price of the unit is 640 USD plus shipping. We do not collect import fees and if they apply they are your responsibility to pay.