IGNORED

Headphone Amp Recommendations Please

Way back in 1999 I purchased the Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation headphones. I used them for 6 months or so and they've been in storage since. This was back in my home theater days and I was using them with a Marantz SR8000 (which is now in the possession of my nephew). I'm interested in resurrecting these headphones (which I loved at the time), thus the need for an amp.

I think I'll be using my Bifrost Multibit and naturally thought of Schiit (maybe the Asgard). I'm leaning toward Schiit for obvious reasons but .. well, there is just so much choice it's perplexing. Honestly, my knowledge of all things headphones is zilch and I could use some advice. I'd like to keep the price below $500. Not sure about tubes .. I just don't know. Thanks in advance.

Oh .. the HD 565 is 150 ohms. That's all I got.

Way back in 1999 I purchased the Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation headphones. I used them for 6 months or so and they've been in storage since. This was back in my home theater days and I was using them with a Marantz SR8000 (which is now in the possession of my nephew). I'm interested in resurrecting these headphones (which I loved at the time), thus the need for an amp.

I think I'll be using my Bifrost Multibit and naturally thought of Schiit (maybe the Asgard). I'm leaning toward Schiit for obvious reasons but .. well, there is just so much choice it's perplexing. Honestly, my knowledge of all things headphones is zilch and I could use some advice. I'd like to keep the price below $500. Not sure about tubes .. I just don't know. Thanks in advance.

Well if you can find someone willing to let go of their limited production Cavalli Liquid Carbon it is a no brainer. It listed for 599. They just finished their limited production run and are no longer for sale. You may want to check out Head-fi.org to see if anyone is selling

Have a look at https://www.massdrop.com/audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have never used those particular headphones, but I have had a number of iFi products and the iFi mico iCAN was my first real headphone amp. It is really quite excellent. The EQ and 3D effects on it are very well implemented and are not just gimmicks.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I have never used those particular headphones, but I have had a number of iFi products and the iFi mico iCAN was my first real headphone amp. It is really quite excellent. The EQ and 3D effects on it are very well implemented and are not just gimmicks.

iFi has just launched a new version of this called micro iCAN SE. Not sure when it will be available. Looks promising: micro-iCAN SE

I haven't heard the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. From everything I've read, it is a really great recommendation, but I've been on the lookout for used units and I think they are going to be scarce for awhile.

The impedence on the HD565 is 150 ohms compared to the HD600's 300 ohms, so they should be easy to drive.

If you love classical music, you would probably prefer the HD600, but it does make sense to rediscover what you already have if they are in good condition.

Yeah, someday (hopefully not soon) you can inquire of the executor of my estate about my Liquid Carbon.

For higher-impedance phones, the Valhalla 2 might be the best choice among the relatively inexpensive Schiit amps. It's fantastic with the HD 800.

A somewhat outside-the-box choice, if you can find a good used example at a fair price, is the Head-Amp Gilmore Lite.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Yeah, someday (hopefully not soon) you can inquire of the executor of my estate about my Liquid Carbon.

For higher-impedance phones, the Valhalla 2 might be the best choice among the relatively inexpensive Schiit amps. It's fantastic with the HD 800.

A somewhat outside-the-box choice, if you can find a good used example at a fair price, is the Head-Amp Gilmore Lite.

Yes I can't imagine anyone selling theirs BUT you never know. The funny thing was I forgot I ordered the LQ. I was looking for a "relatively cheap" headamp that did balanced in (despite my use predominantly with SE in with my HUGO) and balanced out as I wanted to listen with my LCD-X balanced. So when it first went up for sale I said what the hell and literally forgot about it as it was so many months; until I got my shipping notification. Now that it has close to 300 hours on it I can give it my definitive recommendation. Pretty awesome and flexible small amp. I am eagerly awaiting his real portable battery powered version.

But for 599 if you can get one it is pretty much (AND I HATE TO USE THE TERM!!) a no brainier.

snip ... but it does make sense to rediscover what you already have if they are in good condition.

Mine are essentially "as new" except the head band gel went missing (a known issue). I loved them back when and I can always purchase new if/when a need/want arises. For now, I'd like to rediscover them (as you say).

Well, I decided on the Asgard 2 and placed my order. Coupled with the BiMBy I should have a nice little Schiit stack. Thanks guys. BTW, after all the reading and researching I just needed to start somewhere and the Asgard 2 felt right (reputation & price). I ordered me some PYST Cables too. :)

The Asgard 2 arrived today. It's supposed to take some time to stabilize and come into its own but I like what I'm hearing thus far. I'm sending a TIDAL stream as follows:

iPad > Apple TV2 > Bifrost Multibit > Asgard 2> Sennheiser HD 565

I like the simplicity of this set up but I find the iPad/ATV sounds a tad bland. If you get a chance try an android device with UAPP player app, it is in a different league.

I like the simplicity of this set up but I find the iPad/ATV sounds a tad bland. If you get a chance try an android device with UAPP player app, it is in a different league.

Thanks for the tip Rexp. I like the simplicity and convenience of this as well and this weekend intend on trying an iPhone 4 (or iPad3) & CCK combination, which should work nicely with the Bifrost. My goal with this endeavor was to utilize gear/gadgets/devices already in my possession and only shell out cash for the amp. Still, I like your suggestion and may eventually try out something android. The amp continues to impress, as does my now-ancient HD 565's, however, I can't seem to stop investigating new headphones .. the Philips Fidelio X2 intrigues me!

Well, even though the Philips Fidelio X2 was on a short list of headphones I was considering (among others), I just purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Pro headphones. They should arrive in a couple of days.

Yeah, I know I said I wanted to use my old Senns :)

Well done Melvin. I like AT cans.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Is the Fletcher-Munson PDF freely accessible somewhere? How to apply the eq to let say T90's to eliminate so called listener fatigue, meaning for instance slightly lowering the treble response and adding a sub bass? Someone tried it for T90 according to this documents?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Is the Fletcher-Munson PDF freely accessible somewhere? How to apply the eq to let say T90's to eliminate so called listener fatigue, meaning for instance slightly lowering the treble response and adding a sub bass? Someone tried it for T90 according to this documents?

Fletcher-Munson suggested boosting the treble and bass at lower volumes, so that might not be what you're looking for. Here is what I did for the T90:

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T90.jpg

Fletcher-Munson suggested boosting the treble and bass at lower volumes, so that might not be what you're looking for. Here is what I did for the T90:

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T90.jpg

Hm, how to read this?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata