IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

5 minutes ago, mozes said:

Just be prepared if SQ suffers. I tried to power both my tX-USB ultra and Brooklyn from one VR mini and it sounded harsh and musicality was lost. Now my VR powers the Brooklyn only and the sound is breathtaking again

Do you mind me asking @mozes and @jtwrace about your power supply experiences for the Brooklyn and the Vinni in particular. I just bought a far cheaper Chinese R-core based linear PSU for mine and wondering about the LPS-1 for the Rendu 

19 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Do you mind me asking @mozes and @jtwrace about your power supply experiences for the Brooklyn and the Vinni in particular. I just bought a far cheaper Chinese R-core based linear PSU for mine and wondering about the LPS-1 for the Rendu 

I found that both JS-2 and VR mini are excellent but the VR had a slight edge maybe due to its isolation from the mains. Both are significant improvements from the internal power supply.

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Just be prepared if SQ suffers. I tried to power both my tX-USB ultra and Brooklyn from one VR mini and it sounded harsh and musicality was lost. Now my VR powers the Brooklyn only and the sound is breathtaking again

Speaking of power supplies with multiple output taps, whats the general feeling about this vs having a dedicated power supply for each component.  The people at SBooster feel that power supplies should be dedicated to avoid any downside.  They were going to publish a white paper but recently told me that there is enough evidence online to support single tap power supplies without them writing about the topic.  While there is the obvious issue of their being a vendor of power supplies, they seemed to be quite adamant based on electronic considerations and resulting impact on sound quality.

5 hours ago, mozes said:

I wonder why that is...I'll give a shot though.  Perhaps I'll ping Vinnie and ask him.  The solution is to buy another MINI. :D

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

6 hours ago, jtwrace said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to send my VInnie Rossi MINI back to have it output 12VDC and then it can power the Brooklyn and the sMS-200.  :D

http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

Hi jtwrace,

I believe the sMS-200 (as well as microRendu) has a dc-dc regulator inside (switching regulator).  I am not sure if this is true with the Brooklyn.  But let's say VR MINI + Brooklyn sounds excellent as has already been reported, and then you also connect a sMS-200 to the same VR MINI powering the Brooklyn.  Noise from the sMS-200's dc-dc regulator can feed back to the MINI and then into to your Brooklyn (or vice-versa if the Brooklyn has dc-dc regulators as well).  Then they could contaminate each other.

And even if sMS-200 didn't use any dc-dc regulators, it is still a mini computer inside and the way it draws current from a power supply imparts its fingerprint back onto the supply feeding it.  Computers are noisy as heck, so feeding them with their own clean power supply is a better idea than using one shared power supply for multiple products.]

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

Vinnie Rossi

www.vinnierossi.com

3 minutes ago, Vinnie Rossi said:

Hi jtwrace,

I believe the sMS-200 (as well as microRendu) has a dc-dc regulator inside (switching regulator).  I am not sure if this is true with the Brooklyn.  But let's say VR MINI + Brooklyn sounds excellent as has already been reported, and then you also connect a sMS-200 to the same VR MINI powering the Brooklyn.  Noise from the sMS-200's dc-dc regulator can feed back to the MINI and then into to your Brooklyn (or vice-versa if the Brooklyn has dc-dc regulators as well).  Then they could contaminate each other.

And even if sMS-200 didn't use any dc-dc regulators, it is still a mini computer inside and the way it draws current from a power supply imparts its fingerprint back onto the supply feeding it.  Computers are noisy as heck, so feeding them with their own clean power supply is a better idea than using one shared power supply for multiple products.]

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

Thanks for the explanation!  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, Vinnie Rossi said:

Hi jtwrace,

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie for technically translating what my ears told me with the VR MINI :)

Hello,

I'm a little afraid about trying another external power supply, till now I tested two of them, maybe not the best, but the results were badly, losing dynamic overall. I tested one diy power supply which worked very well on NAS with good improvement and the second one was from sboost. In the end I prefer to use good power supply cable. Also I'm concerned about the price, some tested by you guys cost almost half of DAC price, which it is quite nasty. I knowing what separate liniar power supply it capable off (I'm using with NAS and SOTM SMS-100), but for me it seems that Brooklyn it is not easy to be satisfied :((

8 hours ago, lmitche said:

The VR mini is likely to be the best possible choice for powering the Brooklyn, but I would power a single device to insure the GI isn't broken.

Soon my MINI will be VR MINI powered! 

On 4/26/2017 at 10:16 PM, diver110 said:

Well, it is the road I went down, and so far I am glad I did.  The Brooklyn is a great value, and for me it has also saved money.  You don't need a cd player or a preamp.  If you are determined to get a preamp, I would look for a used CJ ET3SE.  It is truly a great preamp and mine and a couple of others are for sale at the upper end of your range on Audiogon.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a Brooklyn from Jaguar Audio.  They have a 45-day trial period, so plenty of time to let it break-in and make sure I'm headed in the right direction.  I recently went back to a separate amp and preamp from an integrated, but that was only because there is no First Watt integrated.  If the Brooklyn delivers sonically, then I'm back to my preferred 2-box configuration and with fewer wires.

Howdy all,

I'm in the market for a USB Dac for a desktop headphone setup. And this is obviously one of the best Dacs for the money.

I like the Brooklyn's balanced cans outputs, with their balanced headphone adapter. I have the Sennheiser HD800S which comes with balanced cables.

I also like their monthly firmware updates too: https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/firmware/BrooklynDAC_firmware_readme.txt

And it's just about the biggest size I can allow for on my desk.

I'm currently using a Chord Mojo fed with USB REGEN + LPS-1 and short Curious USB cables. Sounds amazing and will probably sound even better with the upcoming ISO REGEN. I just follow the Dac designers recommendation to run in bit perfect mode in Roon (all DSP off) and it sounds great. Despite having a portable Dac I don't really need a portable Dac anymore going forward, so I'm happy to get something more permanent.

For similar money to the Brooklyn the Hugo 2 and iFi Pro iDSD are also on my radar but that's off topic to this thread ! :-)

A few questions if anyone can help:

1. For the Brooklyn headphones listeners out there, does the jumper adjustments also adjust the gain for the headphone amp section? When using my balanced cables I wouldn't want to have too small (or too sensitive) a volume control range.

2. Is adjusting the gain easy enough? I can't find at instructions in their manual or their website. I'll probably flick an email to them in parallel.

3. Is the dual option of analogue and digital volume control also applicable to the headphone amp section? You have two volume control options with headphone use?

4. With USB input, how do you set the "INT mode"? I couldn't see how it's changed in the manual. 

5. If you set INT mode for the USB input (so the Brooklyn is the master clock) and use the upcoming ISO REGEN at the USB input, does this mean the ISO REGEN's high quality clocking will be made redundant? Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Cheers in advance ! Sean

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

@Em2016  Thanks for posting this.  Where do I get the software that runs on the computer?  Also, is there a way to get on a mailing list for new firmware updates?  

32 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

@Em2016  Thanks for posting this.  Where do I get the software that runs on the computer?  Also, is there a way to get on a mailing list for new firmware updates?  

Hi mate, I was asking all those questions because I'm thinking of getting this Dac ! I wish I had it on my desk right now but I don't ! :-(

So I have no idea about your questions but check out the support section of their website. It must be there - that's where I found the list of firmware updates.

Cheers mate, Sean

10 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi mate, I was asking all those questions because I'm thinking of getting this Dac ! I wish I had it on my desk right now but I don't ! :-(

So I have no idea about your questions but check out the support section of their website. It must be there - that's where I found the list of firmware updates.

Cheers mate, Sean

Gotcha.  Sounds like you need to just buy it!  You won't be disappointed!  It's really really good.  

1 minute ago, jtwrace said:

Gotcha.  Sounds like you need to just buy it!  You won't be disappointed!  It's really really good.  

Ha I nearly pushed the button earlier today but backed out and thought I should ask some questions first.

Yeh I looked at how many firmware updates have been released since the start of this thread and it's basically monthly, which is impressive. I skimmed through most of the threads from the start and it sounds like the firmware is generally pretty stable now. Sounds like a good time to jump onboard !

Just now, Em2016 said:

Ha I nearly pushed the button earlier today but backed out and thought I should ask some questions first.

Yeh I looked at how many firmware updates have been released since the start of this thread and it's basically monthly, which is impressive. I skimmed through most of the threads from the start and it sounds like the firmware is generally pretty stable now. Sounds like a good time to jump onboard !

FWIW, the Brooklyn does nearly everything I could ask for and sonically it does sound fantastic.  Press the button!  Of course make sure you buy from someone that offers a trial.

2 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

The last firmware is 2.22 and that is out for several months now. I have 2.20 still, and I find it awfully stable.

My new dac has 2.22 and it's perfectly stable.  Not one issue.  

16 hours ago, Em2016 said:

A few questions if anyone can help:

2. Is adjusting the gain easy enough? I can't find at instructions in their manual or their website. I'll probably flick an email to them in parallel.

3. Is the dual option of analogue and digital volume control also applicable to the headphone amp section? You have two volume control options with headphone use?

4. With USB input, how do you set the "INT mode"? I couldn't see how it's changed in the manual.

Cheers in advance ! Sean

2. Yes. There are instructions in the manual. Jumpers included and easily installed, but you need to remove the top cover.

3. I have only used the analog volume control with my headphones, but digital should work too (but generallly sounds worse imo).

4. I'm using AES, but tested the USB input when I got the Brooklyn. I think INT is the default (possibly only) option with that input.

32 minutes ago, Veovis said:

2. Yes. There are instructions in the manual. Jumpers included and easily installed, but you need to remove the top cover.

3. I have only used the analog volume control with my headphones, but digital should work too (but generallly sounds worse imo).

4. I'm using AES, but tested the USB input when I got the Brooklyn. I think INT is the default (possibly only) option with that input.

Thanks ! And using the jumpers affects headphone output gain too or only affects the RCA/XLR outputs? Or all outuputs?

Cheers again