IGNORED

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (96/24 HD-tracks)

Fresh out, new solo album from David Gilmour. Available in various different formats, CD, Blu-ray, LP and hi-res download.

Tracks are technically a bit varying quality, there's quite a bit of clipping evident on some tracks, while some others are clean.

Here some of the cleaner tracks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20965[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20967[/ATTACH]

What I hope is that musically it isn't outright boring, as I thought The Endless Album (sorry, River) was. I haven't felt that way about any other Floyd album, including their other post-Waters stuff.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Haha... "The Endless Album". I don't play it much, but as I always have been an "instrumental" guy, I like parts of it now and then. I also liked Gilmour's "About Face", and enjoying the laidback "Rattle That Lock" with a single malt (or more) in hand, I think this album is good, laidback relaxation. I like it, and admit I purhased it blind, with "About Face" in mind. Actually, I'm starting to get mad about this new album being so short.

Haha... "The Endless Album". I don't play it much, but as I always have been an "instrumental" guy, I like parts of it now and then. I also liked Gilmour's "About Face", and enjoying the laidback "Rattle That Lock" with a single malt (or more) in hand, I think this album is good, laidback relaxation. I like it, and admit I purhased it blind, with "About Face" in mind. Actually, I'm starting to get mad about this new album being so short.

For me, it goes into same category as Mark Knopfler's new albums. Nice sounds, comfortable listening, goes well with single malt as you said.

When I want something a bit more upfront, I seek for something where Steven Wilson is involved - the new generation of prog rock... :)

(if you haven't already, try Opeth - Pale Communion, for some Swedish rock with spice up by Wilson)

Hires Hand. Cannot. Erase. is not bad at all either! :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

You got me there. Being a Dire Straits fan since I heard "Sultans of Swing" on a cheap transistor radio a loong way back, listening to Radio Luxembourg, I was sold. Then Knopfler walked his own way, and I thought, arrghh, now he is becoming like Phil Collins after Genesis.

But behold, yesterday I purchased "Tracker". I have a hard time putting that album into the "folk" category, but I like it. Laidback quality, as with David Gilmour.

Personally found it boring. But maybe to others it will be "laid back".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Interesting. I like both Tracker and Privateering, Gilmour's last couple of efforts not so much. Knopfler has settled into a comfortable old blues vein, not unlike JJ Cale. Doesn't sound anything near prog to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It's a reflective autumnal piece and I like it quite a bit. Gilmour doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, his rock is some of the most timeless ever written and I hear much of his contribution to Pink Floyd in this solo piece. Pink Floyd was never high-energy anyway, and much like this recording casts interesting soundscapes. He feels is some of the best work he's ever done. I don't know if I'd say that but I'd easily give it 3 out of 4 stars, if not 3.5. Jimmy Paige and Robert Plant are running into this same response as they explore new creative directions that reflect their maturity and experience. The last thing I'd want to have them do is something they've done before. Cheers to these masters.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I'm a huge Gilmour fan and I remember when On an Island was released and for whatever reason, at that time in my life, I didn't care for it much. I Listen through it once or twice (spot checking it) and maybe was expecting something else, but pretty much laid it to rest.

About a yr later, I came across it again and was blown away. Listened to it non stop for weeks, months. I then purchased "Remember the Night BD" (which plays most of on an island songs) and again was blown away.

I don't know about others here, but this situation has happened to me many times and am now much more patient about first impressions et al. It is weird how some albums hit you immediately in a positive way and others take awhile, even if the first impressions are iffy.

I'm not sure if "Rattle That Lock" falls into this "phenomenon" and it didn't blow me away on first run through, but I will for sure give it time.

My rig

I don't know about others here, but this situation has happened to me many times and am now much more patient about first impressions et al. It is weird how some albums hit you immediately in a positive way and others take awhile, even if the first impressions are iffy.

I'm not sure if "Rattle That Lock" falls into this "phenomenon" and it didn't blow me away on first run through, but I will for sure give it time.

Very good point. I am going for the second round.

I have had albums that I did not care for upon first listen that later turned into albums that I could not stop playing. Only listened to R T L once so far, liked some of it but was disappointed with some as well. Time will tell...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I agree with the all three last posts here, especially Foggie. When I was younger, I put a new LP on the first spin, then judged it to be crap, and I did not touch it for years. A couple of decades later, I learnt to put the new album on "repeat", wether I liked it or not. It turned out my first impressions were no good at all. Time will tell if you give it erm,...time.

Never in the history of rock has David Gilmour picked up a guitar and done something boring. If it effects you like that you'll be better off listening to some trash metal like Metallica

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Another "can't miss" Gilmour release, more of his genius guitar work with, The Orb - Metallic Spheres

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I recently heard the album and did not find it very memorable, unlike the last Pink Floyd album (for some of Gilmour's guitar magic, check the bonus tracks "Evrika"

)

The only thing that stood out - but in a negative way - was his use of the french railway djingle in one song. I travel to France regularly, so this is as annoying to me as hearing a song based on the sound of my alarm clock or mobile phone ring tone.

Claude

The only thing that stood out - but in a negative way - was his use of the french railway djingle in one song. I travel to France regularly, so this is as annoying to me as hearing a song based on the sound of my alarm clock or mobile phone ring tone.

I heard him say in an interview that, upon hearing the jingle, he liked it so much that he decided to record it with his mobile phone and build a song on this basis. I wonder if this pretty poorly recorded version made it to the album, or if Gilmour's staff sourced a cleaner version of the jingle from the French railway company. I am not a Floyd or Gilmour fan and did not buy the record and heard the song only once on a crappy radio, so I cannot say for myself.