IGNORED

DAC/Preamp with Balanced Outputs - Advice Please?

Hi All,

I am looking for a DAC/preamp with the following characteristics:

- Multiple inputs, preferably 2 coax, 2 optical, 1 USB – but could get away with 1,1,1.

- Analog input not necessary, but I’d welcome it if the shoe fit

- Balanced outs for direct driving of balanced amplifiers (Hypex NCore 400’s)

- Volume control that is flexible enough to be used with most any amp at most any volume level without losing information

- Preferably small footprint, but I can accept normal size too.

- Cost me < $2500 used or new

My plan is to purchase several used, maybe a couple on 30-day trial (e.g. Benchmark, NAD), and make a choice. Here are the options I’ve compiled thus far, in order of decreasing (not fully informed) favor:

- Benchmark DAC2 (hybrid analog/digital volume control. Which version? They allow a 30-day trial)

- Graham Slee Majestic DAC/Preamp (also has analog input, uses Wolfson DAC, balanced outputs are ¼-inch, analog volume control)

- NAD C510 (not too expensive, 35-bit volume control, only one coax and one optical input, would also consider the M12 used – too expensive new)

- M2Tech Young DSD (has an analog volume control and adjustable gain, sufficient inputs, remote control, good price on Amazon, music direct sells with 60-day trial)

- Wyred4sound DAC2DSDSE with FEMTO clock (I have the original DAC2 and find that I’m operating the digital volume control at 30-40 out of 70. I’ve read that some resolution is lost below 40, but I’m not sure. This is a 32 bit DAC).

- PS Audio PerfectWave MKII (nice DAC but too much gain for my amps, have to use volume control below “50” (actually at 35) which means loss of digital information

- Bel Canto (which models?)

- Used older WADIA (which model?)

- Mytek stereo 192 DSD DAC (good features but ruled out because of loud thump on start-up)

- Cambridge 851D (Stereophile says Benchmark DAC2 is better sounding)

I’d appreciate any relevant input that could be offered on the above models, plus any other suggestions and why.

Thanks very much in advance, Peter

I am a Benchmark DAC2 L owner and have been very satisfied with my purchase. No regrets/buyer's remorse/jealousy of other units within my price point. It's been a solid performer and I have not missed a pre amp in any way. I am using it with a Peachtree P220 amp using the balanced out/in. It's a piece that I find to be very honest and revealing with no quirks. My front end is a Mac Mini running Audirvana+ 2, and it's literally been plug and play. Rory in customer service is great and very responsive also.

Oh as for the version, that is gonna be your call. Depends on what feature set meets YOUR needs but you will not be missing out on the base performance of the DAC.

- NAD C510 (not too expensive, 35-bit volume control, only one coax and one optical input, would also consider the M12 used – too expensive new)

You should also look at the M51 as well - second hand or reconditioned.

From reputation, the Schist DACs are worth looking at, but you will of course need a separate pre-amp.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

exaSound e20/e22! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

You should also look at the M51 as well - second hand or reconditioned.

I'm not sure of the differences between the NAD M51 and the lower-priced C510, other than a slightly more robust housing on the M51, and addition of a volume knob on the C510, as opposed to just the handheld remote with the M51.

If you are ever contemplating incorporating your DAC into a home theatre/video set-up, they have HDMI connectivity.

Another nice feature is that the clock chip stays powered up in standby mode, using less than 1W of AC power, and these NAD DACs operate without 5V power from the USB cable.

NAD products can be had as "open-box" or "factory refurbished", including warranties, at considerable savings off retail from this dealer, which is where I got mine.

Welcome to Spearit Sound

I'm not sure of the differences between the NAD M51 and the lower-priced C510, other than a slightly more robust housing on the M51, and addition of a volume knob on the C510, as opposed to just the handheld remote with the M51.

That was what I was thinking ... and I've seen M51s refurbished cheaper than C510 (though in UK you can get an open box C510 for around £600 now).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think the Lynx Hilo meets your specs, plus it adds an ADC to the system.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I am getting a few other relevant suggestions:

Grace M920 ($1900, professional roots

Hegel HD-12 ($1400, organic sound);

NuPrime DAC-10 ($1800, great performer/sleek);

Oppo HA-1 ($1200, extreme value)

BMC PureDac

I think I'll try the Benchmark and the NuPrime, and maybe the NAD. All of which I can try on 30-day trial, so that's good. All good units and no harm to try.

Emotiva Pro Stealth DC-1 $499 30 day trial.

Built quality greatly accedes pricing, built like a tank. I love mine!

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

ExaSound E20 / 22 is very good stock, but can be hugely improved with a fancy linear power supply

The volume control is very well implemented, I can not hear it in action :-)

+1 on the volume control. It's amazing how low you can take it and still hear buckets of detail.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

What a gorgeous piece of industrial design! At $1800 it should be.

Would fit in very well with a Dan D'Agostino Momentum based system.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Look no further

Fully balanced design built by discrete analog stages without any OPA and coupling caps in the signal channels, built in real balanced DAC. Output for headphone (4-pin XLR or 1/4") and DAC (fixed output) with preamp (variable output)

Non- feedback ACSS analog output stage .

Large R-core transformers and Hi-fi grade parts like DALE resistors, WIMA caps .

Total of 6-group PSUs are used to purify the power supply , the analog amp has discrete PSU power supply

Four-channel 100 steps digitally controlled relay-based volume control avoids channel imbalance and improves sound quality .

Supper Exponential Volume Characteristic with Fast / slow selection, easy match the volume with very different sensitivity headphone / speaker .

4 digital inputs: USB / Optical / Coaxial RCA / I2S

2 analog inputs: XLR / RCA (The RCA input can conversion to XLR output native without extra convertor )

DAC output: XLR / RCA / ACSS

Headphone output : 4 pin XLR / 1/4" (6.3MM) SE

$750

Optional Amanero USB Module =$80

N2820155.JPG

N2820152.JPG

Discrete DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier

With XLR / RCA analog inputs

DSD , DXD support from USB & I2S Input

32bit / 384K Sabre ES9018

Since nobody talked for Wyred, look at my signature... mine have not the femto clock, i'm very pleased with it, sound is great...

minimal system, no preamp (had a LINN AV5103 before) connected in AMP with Balanced XLR using Mac mini and Audirvana 2.2.3

I had the chance to pay only 1600$ CAN for a sligthly used one... i usually listen volume at around 40 (35 to 48). Love my system :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Audio-gd or Emotiva

I have NFB-12 and Stealth Dc-1. The Emotiva meets all your needs and very good quality.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Stealth DC-1 is made in China but Emotivz is a USA corp and they are in the process of opening manufacturing plants in the USA. When ever possible I buy USA

Look no further

Fully balanced design built by discrete analog stages without any OPA and coupling caps in the signal channels, built in real balanced DAC. Output for headphone (4-pin XLR or 1/4") and DAC (fixed output) with preamp (variable output)

Non- feedback ACSS analog output stage .

Large R-core transformers and Hi-fi grade parts like DALE resistors, WIMA caps .

Total of 6-group PSUs are used to purify the power supply , the analog amp has discrete PSU power supply

Four-channel 100 steps digitally controlled relay-based volume control avoids channel imbalance and improves sound quality .

Supper Exponential Volume Characteristic with Fast / slow selection, easy match the volume with very different sensitivity headphone / speaker .

4 digital inputs: USB / Optical / Coaxial RCA / I2S

2 analog inputs: XLR / RCA (The RCA input can conversion to XLR output native without extra convertor )

DAC output: XLR / RCA / ACSS

Headphone output : 4 pin XLR / 1/4" (6.3MM) SE

$750

Optional Amanero USB Module =$80

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20982[/ATTACH]

Discrete DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier

With XLR / RCA analog inputs

DSD , DXD support from USB & I2S Input

32bit / 384K Sabre ES9018

I am waiting on a LH Infinity. If they are correct, arrives in the next 8 days. But if not, I would order the 2015 28. That is an impressive Dac. I would splurge on the fancy USB also.

I like US made too. But this unit punches the buttons.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Most of the recommendations have been DACs that double as pre-amps. Here are two pre-amps that have DACs; they are a bit more expensive than many of the other suggestions.

1. Simaudio Moon Neo 350P Pre-amp with the DAC option.

High-end Preamplifiers - Preamplifier| Simaudio

2. McIntosh D150, http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=preamplifiers&ProductId=D150

Two other options but without balanced connectors:

1. Ayre's new Codex, Ayre Acoustics Codex (only balanced on the headphone out with special cables)

2. Simaudio's new 230HAD High-end Power Amplifiers - Headphone Amplifier / DSD DAC| Simaudio

McIntosh, Handcrafted in the USA, WOOT

• 5 months later...

SOTM (Soul of the Music) SDP-1000 is well worth a listen I think.

- battery powered (one in use, one charging) so very pure and black sound

- True Asynchronous USB DAC, plus 2 SPDIF, Optical, AES

- 1 x XLR Balanced Analogue Inputs, 2 x RCA Analogue

- XLR balanced outputs

- Fully balanced circuitry (I have not proven this for myself, but I believe them)

- All volume control is in the Analogue Domain - and is bypassed at 0db

I have this currently acting as both DAC and Pre into my Art Audio PX25 valve amps. Sounds great, driving it using the SOTM SMS-100 Media USB Renderer.