IGNORED

What is your age?

What is your age and gender (select both)?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read too fast... I selected my range of age, but forgot to mention my gender ;) Does this mean something (about my uncertainty for my gender) ? ;) Should I do a sighted or a DBT test ?

Bruce Jenner or whatever his name is now, might be able to help ya. He's supposed to be an expert. I think his DBT for the last 65 years was a little off. :)

The Truth Is Out There

I'm 62 and I just don't care about some freq above 12khz. There are many other important things to worry about besides some freq I can't hear anyway. :)

Don't worry be happy! I just got a WhatsApp from a close friend in the heaven : "Frequencies beyond 12kHz are banned here, if you like it please go to hell where they use it to torture, WiFi included ..."

Roch

Bruce Jenner or whatever his name is now, might be able to help ya. He's supposed to be an expert. I think his DBT for the last 65 years was a little off. :)

Ha ha ! Maybe it shows how DBT can be flawed ;)

Please ... This is not an appropriate venue for such comments. Ms Jenner's situation is not one which should be used for scoring points in humour or otherwise!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Please ... This is not an appropriate venue for such comments. Ms Jenner's situation is not one which should be used for scoring points in humour or otherwise!

Sorry Eloise, I sure was not hoping that this would be taken as the expression of my intolerance towards someone's desire to be accepted for what he believes in. Sometimes I forget that I am not talking to a friend that knows my way of thinking. A forum is not the right place to be understood, since we only show fragments of who we are (or who we think we are).

If there is something I believe in, it's "Live and let live"...

Thanks for the reminding and sorry for the confusion...

Alain

I agree re gender identity, but that still leaves the Kardashian and washed-up Olympian aspects we can have fun with, right?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I agree re gender identity, but that still leaves the Kardashian and washed-up Olympian aspects we can have fun with, right?

If I actually knew who the Kardashians were (I though they were the antagonists in later Star Trek TNG and then DS9) then I might agree with that.

But yes live and let live (as AlainGr commented) is a good philosophy. Personally I like Thumper's father's advice...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Please remember that others can have different opinions than you.

If you really have the opinion that other people's personal life decisions shouldn't be respected then please let me know so I can ignore you!

I really didn't think that someone here would disagree with a live and let live policy!

Eloise

---

If I actually knew who the Kardashians were (I though they were the antagonists in later Star Trek TNG and then DS9) then I might agree with that.

But yes live and let live (as AlainGr commented) is a good philosophy. Personally I like Thumper's father's advice...

There has so got to be a Photoshopped "Kim Cardassian" Photo That Broke The Internet around somewhere!

Loved DS9, BTW.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm very surprised by the results of this thread!

If it had been a straight audiophile pole, (not geared towards people who are computer savvy), then I would have expected to see the ages weighted towards us older folks. But because the emphasis here is on computer-based audio, I thought the members would have been younger. I didn't even touch my first computer until I was about 30.

Some of us old farts have been into computers almost as long as we have been into music and its technology. I got my first computers (DEC PDP-11 and PDT-11) back in the early 70s.

220px-Digital_PDP11-IMG_1498_cropped.jpg

220px-DEC-PDT-11-150.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

There has so got to be a Photoshopped "Kim Cardassian" Photo That Broke The Internet around somewhere!

Loved DS9, BTW.

Nah, probably afraid the Roddenberry estate would sue over it. At the very least he might turn over in his grave.

Or maybe not:

http://brandtk.deviantart.com/art/Kim-Cardassian-179965207

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

GET OFF MY LAWN

"Hey hot stuff, wanna date?"

"Oh, totally grandpa. Bring your teeth."

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Maybe there should be a 3rd question... Are you an ADD?

I only voted my age but didn't see the 'male' or 'female' poll. (not that it is important, but I really didn't want to miss answering the easiest question in this forum, darn it. I missed the question.!)

So, my answer is::::: Female.... Female... and Female... If I've given 3 more chances to answer it! Yes, I am a big ADD as well, I always miss the most important questions right in front of my eyes.

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

Maybe there should be a 3rd question... Are you an ADD?

I only voted my age but didn't see the 'male' or 'female' poll. (not that it is important, but I really didn't want to miss answering the easiest question in this forum, darn it. I missed the question.!)

So, my answer is::::: Female.... Female... and Female... If I've given 3 more chances to answer it! Yes, I am a big ADD as well, I always miss the most important questions right in front of my eyes.

LOL - I missed it too and I am a guy. Guess we even out! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Some of us old farts have been into computers almost as long as we have been into music and its technology. I got my first computers (DEC PDP-11 and PDT-11) back in the early 70s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19821[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19820[/ATTACH]

Yours were recent model compared to my very first:

the-worlds-first-computer.jpg

Thanks God by that time nobody noticed "cable differences" :)

Roch

Yours were recent model compared to my very first:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19826[/ATTACH]

Thanks God by that time nobody noticed "cable differences" :)

Roch

Thank God I was at the tail of the punch cards era! And, it's easier to 'borrow' someone's homework as our own because the punch holes will be the same.... same rights and same wrongs as well. haha.. Oh, I missed those good old days. Programming was just a few lines, no object oriented or Java scripts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming_in_the_punched_card_eraimages.jpeg

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

Bu Gnu! At least I got to work with a computer that had a real keyboard, after dealing with all those darn dials and knobs and things... ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19828[/ATTACH]

:D + never saw these kinds of things... you won.