IGNORED

What is your age?

What is your age and gender (select both)?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks Bill

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I started in 1965 on an IBM 1620 (seen here with period-appropriate user - it's not me, but it could have been). We even had a rudimentary video display terminal, unlike this poor sod.

I started out in 1963 with a punch card based IBM 1401 with 4K of memory. We often debugged directly in machine language at the machine's panel.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I started out in 1963 with a punch card based IBM 1401 with 4K of memory. We often debugged directly in machine language at the machine's panel.

4K of memory, it's still larger than my memory.

Even though I consider myself still ''young''... I hate to admit that I also learned it, forgot about it, and didn't miss it. Then, the 'hello World' in between machine, Basic, Pascal, Lisp, Fortran, C... C++, Unix shell scripts, database languages, now cyber apps... metamorphous of our lives...

Honestly, I really admire those who have been through the real history of computer era!! Good job. :)

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

The fun memory that those of us of a certain age have is of that dude turning into this dude a couple years later:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19873[/ATTACH]

There were a *lot* of computer geeks who morphed through the Summer of Love and into Silicon Valley, either literally or metaphorically. Some names of people or things that might be familiar are Stewart Brand, The Whole Earth Catalog, John Perry Barlow, The WELL....

I certainly wouldn't place myself in that esteemed company, but I've been on The WELL since 1986.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Joke from a landlady of mine, in her 60s at the time (she and her husband both had fairly earthy senses of humor):

When you're first married, you have "everywhere sex." Bedroom, kitchen table, outdoors - doesn't matter.

Later on, you have bedroom sex - pretty much just confined to the bedroom.

Still later, you have "hallway sex" - you pass your spouse in the hallway and mumble "F**k you."

That is an old joke... Like from the Borscht Belt. LOL

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my first work computer (as opposed to computers used in my dim, distant student days):

decmate-ii.jpg

I had to write a lot of memos to get it upgraded with the $1,000 10MB hard drive, as shown in the photo.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

That is an old joke... Like from the Borscht Belt. LOL

That's one place I'm sure she didn't hear it. Pennsylvania Dutch, she and her husband, living on land sold to a long-ago ancestor of the husband by one of the Penn brothers (William's sons). Her husband broke with 200+ years of family farming to start a sanitation business and made himself a millionaire by sheer hard work. He had quite a sense of humor about his business - wore a shirt that said "Your shit is my bread and butter." I asked him what it was like, because he was a workaholic out on the trucks 10 hours a day 6 days a week into his late 60s, and he just said laconically, "Since we got the suck truck it's all right, but when we had the bucket it was pretty bad."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There were a *lot* of computer geeks who morphed through the Summer of Love and into Silicon Valley, either literally or metaphorically. Some names of people or things that might be familiar are Stewart Brand, The Whole Earth Catalog, John Perry Barlow, The WELL....

The stuff of Legend.

Also, speaking of The Whole Earth Catalog, the stuff you put in the bathroom as reading material. Perfect for that, a good year or two worth of individual articles you could peruse.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Is that you in the pic? Pretty cool.

I started in 1965 on an IBM 1620 (seen here with period-appropriate user - it's not me, but it could have been).

He's a much more typical '60s geek than I ever was - thinking back on it, I was a lot more Maynard than Dobie.

I rarely wore a collared shirt from the time I was a kid. It was Ts or light sweaters in warm weather and turtlenecks in cold, usually over jeans - and I rarely wore socks (still don't). I've also had a beard since Thanksgiving break freshman year - I threw it a 51st birthday party last fall.

Honestly, I really admire those who have been through the real history of computer era!! Good job. :)

Don't include me in that group. I left the industry in 1971 and haven't missed it for even a second. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

So many improvements in computer audio quality. I suspect it comes down to "it sounds so good, you'll think you died and went to heaven". Well those younger participants hear better than older folks. The sound was so good, I think they felt the remainder of life would be uneventful. And decided the only thing better than thinking you died and went to heaven, is to die and actually go to heaven.

One bad side effect of this development, is a larger percentage of members are older and/or don't hear so well. The best improvements probably go unnoticed more often than three years ago.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks Bill

Hi Eloise,

To be consistent, your correct response should have been, "That's a highly slanderous remark. What reason or evidence do you have for making such an accusation?" Instead of, "Thanks Bill"

And what you'll find is the only reason he slanders, is that I dared criticize him. Apparently, this is how he deals with criticism. Now, the most concerning thing for parents is if this is how he treats me, what might he do to one of his defenseless, 20 year old students if one of them dare criticize or point out his questionable behavior?

Also worth noting, he wants you to ignore "completely" and he's using fear as a manipulation tool, because he knows if you read you might come to realize your "friends" are possibly worse than any of those you've ever criticized. Notice the desperation, panic and vindictiveness in his post?

Eloise - BTW, I did get that piece of ethernet cable out. I don't know what I was thinking when I said I would try drilling it out. Thanks to your suggestion of the flat-head, I went and bought a smaller one, an eyeglass kit size, and it worked like a charm. Thanks.

It seems as if wgscott is actually crying out for a stalker. Sorry to have disappointed you wgscott.

Are you lonely or something?

Just completely inappropriate. Please stop. You may have some sort of critique to offer, but I find that the way you go about it is offensive. And you haven't convinced me that you do have a valid critique to offer and aren't simply trolling.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Judging by the results of this poll, it would seem as if we might be a dying breed. Either there aren't as many younger people interested in audio equipment as there used to be, or the audiophile bug is biting them later in life.

Of course, maybe it's just that the people new to the hobby are primarily involved in multi-channel/home theater music reproduction too.

I found myself wondering the same thing recently when I visited T.H.E. Newport this year. The attendees were mainly older guys like myself.

Judging by the results of this poll, it would seem as if we might be a dying breed. Either there aren't as many younger people interested in audio equipment as there used to be, or the audiophile bug is biting them later in life.

Of course, maybe it's just that the people new to the hobby are primarily involved in multi-channel/home theater music reproduction too.

I found myself wondering the same thing recently when I visited T.H.E. Newport this year. The attendees were mainly older guys like myself.

I think it is because older guys have the $ and time (empty or emptied nest) to pursue their hobbies like cars, audio, collections, and wines. An old man once told me that he couldn't wait for all of his 'dependents' to leave so he can live like a bachelor again. He wants to spend all his money on toys and audio equipments without being nagged. :) We only live once in our life time. Why not?

Sometimes I thought about what he said... and this poll reminds me of his wishes...

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

Just completely inappropriate. Please stop. You may have some sort of critique to offer, but I find that the way you go about it is offensive. And you haven't convinced me that you do have a valid critique to offer and aren't simply trolling.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

And you consider this appropriate?

"He is a professional creepy stalker" -wgscott

"Do you ever tire of the creepy stalking behavior?" -wgscott

Eloise -- this guy is a professional stalker. Unlike most here, I think he actually will try to do you harm. Ignore him completely.

Christopher3393 - If you feel the need to interject, please do your research and get the history, details, and context in order before commenting. And leave the favoritism and "friends" bias at the door.

How would you recommend I deal with the situation? Considering the seriousness of his baseless, slanderous posts, I think I've dealt with it in the most restrained and mature manner possible.

You can PM with your response if you want.

Or, one can always follow this advice.

In other words.....Mind your business!��

Being that this (see links) is what kids are listening to these days, high-end audio is completely pointless. Even mid-fi is pointless with this ultra compressed garbage. If this was all I was listening to, I think I'd want the lowest resolution system possible.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Not sure if he will see this... But a call to Chris; would you consider inviting each member of the forum to participate in a "demographics" kind of survey?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Not sure if he will see this... But a call to Chris; would you consider inviting each member of the forum to participate in a "demographics" kind of survey?

We could do this depending on how specific you want it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

We could do this depending on how specific you want it.

I was thinking things like age range, gender, then questions about listening habit, etc. all anonymous but if Chris was to do it was hoping it might capture the 100s of people who don't regularly post here as well as the core regulars...

Eloise

---