IGNORED

What is your age?

What is your age and gender (select both)?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yours were recent model compared to my very first:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19826[/ATTACH]

Thanks God by that time nobody noticed "cable differences" :)

Roch

Serious? I noticed one of those cables were put in the wrong slot.

You were really working on those machines? Salute!!

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

Bu Gnu! At least I got to work with a computer that had a real keyboard, after dealing with all those darn dials and knobs and things... ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19828[/ATTACH]

If my memory isn't failing me, you programmed those with paper tape, at least the first ones I worked with if you didn't want to do everything with those switches in hex. Later used one with an interface for a Diablo terminal. Those were upgrades from dratted keypunch, yuck. I keypunched at 11-12,000 strokes per hour at a summer data entry job. But we were feeding an IBM 360 for a company.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

If my memory isn't failing me, you programmed those with paper tape, at least the first ones I worked with if you didn't want to do everything with those switches in hex. Later used one with an interface for a Diablo terminal. Those were upgrades from dratted keypunch, yuck. I keypunched at 11-12,000 strokes per hour at a summer data entry job. But we were feeding an IBM 360 for a company.

Didn't mean to veer off the poll. But I really respect all of you who had the 1st hand experience on [dinosaur] computers. You've come a long long way!

:)

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

Didn't mean to veer off the poll. But I really respect all of you who had the 1st hand experience on [dinosaur] computers. You've come a long long way!

:)

Thanks, but it may just mean we are old. ;)

Computers on the other hand have come a long way.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I needed to enter initial loader manually through the octal switches to read paper tape, then, bootstrap loader, then, online program...etc every Monday morning because magnetic core memory won't last long enough. It's a DG Nova.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_800px-Nova-840.jpg

Yes, but you still had to enter a bootloader program in via the switches. Would you believe even running up on 40 years later, I am still more comfortable with Octal than Hex? Those switches are the reason why. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes, but you still had to enter a bootloader program in via the switches. Would you believe even running up on 40 years later, I am still more comfortable with Octal than Hex? Those switches are the reason why. :)

I would believe you. I worked in a university physics department. Learned those from the manuals, both hex and octal. I remember being given the manuals, and told to come back next week. Then told the machine was mine, make it run. Yikes! It was a couple months before they let me know about the paper tape.

My first computer...

BBC_Micro_Front_Restored.jpg

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Interesting...I've always been an audiophile but there was a chasm between 30-45 where marriage with small children left no time or dollars to pursue. I suspect free time and cash are essential to be a "practicing" audiophile.

Well i Think it's a matter of how you make time (money is another thing), for your hobby.. I'am 44 with 4 kids (the youngest 2 1/3 years old), and i do make time for my hobby..:-)

My first two:Sinclair_ZX81_Setup_PhotoManipped.jpg

What ... no wobbly memory pack?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Please ... This is not an appropriate venue for such comments. Ms Jenner's situation is not one which should be used for scoring points in humour or otherwise!

Last time I looked I lived in a free country, free speech. And you have your opinion I have mine.

The Truth Is Out There

Mine - just sold it this year:

systemdek.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Last time I looked I lived in a free country, free speech. And you have your opinion I have mine.

Yes, you live in a free country but you are participating on an internet forum which has rules.

Comments regarding a person (however much that person is in the public eye) over their sexuality, gender, etc. would (IMO) be covered under 2(f) and 2(g) of the Terms of Service

(f)

Use the site to threaten, defame, abuse, assault, stalk, harass or otherwise violate the rights of any other person or entity, including without limitation rights of privacy or publicity;

(g)

Publish, post, display, offer, or disseminate any profane, obscene, indecent, unlawful, terroristic, violent, or hateful User Content;

You may see such an issue as humorous, but I can tell you that thousands around the world do not and live with idiotic comments day in and day out and I for one find them deeply offensive!

Thank you

Eloise

Eloise

---

Yes, you live in a free country but you are participating on an internet forum which has rules.

Comments regarding a person (however much that person is in the public eye) over their sexuality, gender, etc. would (IMO) be covered under 2(f) and 2(g) of the Terms of Service

You may see such an issue as humorous, but I can tell you that thousands around the world do not and live with idiotic comments day in and day out and I for one find them deeply offensive!

Thank you

Eloise

Time for you to grow up Eloise. And I find your comments threatening. PS, my 34 year old daughter is gay and I'm proud to support her.

The Truth Is Out There

Time for you to grow up Eloise. And I find your comments threatening. PS, my 34 year old daughter is gay and I'm proud to support her.

What is you problem ... you insultingly address a transexual by her former name, then attack me for finding that to be a problem!

And then throw in the straw man argument of a gay daughter.

You are now the first person on my ignore list!! I'm sadly disappointed that I have had to start one over such a matter.

Eloise

---

My first computer...

Mine:

wp51a7caf3_0f.jpg

Taught myself to code with BASIC then Machine Code with it. My first real large program was a paint program, I devised a pixel interleaving method to overcome the 8 colour specs as a teen.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Started out in the late 70s programming a couple different chassis loaded with cards, one Motorola 8080 based and the other an Intel Z80 system. APL and both had a row of 0/1 switches for the address and a row for the instruction. Then card and tape for the university mainframe and playing a Star Trek game on a teletype terminal! After we got through that first (which included Fortran) lab they let us play with the DEC PDP 11. Got my first actual PC at my first job, an HP with Lotus 1-2-3 that I think it cost ~US$8K. Ouch! The real workhorse turned out to be my trusty HP-43C calculator with 4 ports. I used that as a portable data collection system for years. Then, to use HP test equipment you had to use Rocky Mountain Basic (RMB). Oh the good ol' days!

What is you problem ... you insultingly address a transexual by her former name, then attack me for finding that to be a problem!

And then throw in the straw man argument of a gay daughter.

You are now the first person on my ignore list!! I'm sadly disappointed that I have had to start one over such a matter.

enjoy your ignore, I know I will.

The Truth Is Out There