IGNORED

CA Readers Are, "clueless, equally bitter and uninformed"

Yes. Yes. Understand.

By computers I am referring to the naughty bits which don't work. Plug and play. No software to be updated by the user. No Ammara no Audirvana no J River.

You turn it on, it works........unlike today.

Just for the record, Part II, when I turn Amarra Symphony with iRC "on", it works (every day). Once again, sorry for the OTX2 (still similing).

Best,

Richard

Technicks SL1200

Still, a very good basis for mods an making this sound more like an audiophile TT rather than a DJ-oriented one: that direct-drive motor is solid engineering. Very low distortions for some characteristics on this one and similar models.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

By computers I am referring to the naughty bits which don't work. Plug and play. No software to be updated by the user. No Ammara no Audirvana no J River.

You turn it on, it works........unlike today.

I am with you, ironic on this site I know. The closest I have gotten is NAS (and yes that is a computer too...) into streamer DAC. All this dicking around to get good sound is due to an inherent list of issues and workarounds that has not been resolved yet.

And it is re-enforced by threads like these that we clearly are not there yet. When we get to this audio nirvana, the discussion is over and that includes DSD vs PCM, analog vs. digital, USB vs LAN, etc. etc.

Cheers

Yes. Yes. Understand. We have discussed this in the past.

My point is that MY W4Sound DAC did not work, and that is the ONLY DAC I care about. Hence, my Jihad to remove all computer type gas-pains from Computer Audio.

Understand. That was a painful time for some of W4S Dac owners until a new driver was provided. And other brands of Dacs owners as well.

Times have changed, n'est-ce pas?

Best,

Richard

I am with you, ironic on this site I know. The closest I have gotten is NAS (and yes that is a computer too...) into streamer DAC. All this dicking around to get good sound is due to an inherent list of issues and workarounds that has not been resolved yet.

And it is re-enforced by threads like these that we clearly are not there yet. When we get to this audio nirvana, the discussion is over and that includes DSD vs PCM, analog vs. digital, USB vs LAN, etc. etc.

Cheers

Isn't it funny how the CA gear craps out when your friends come over? SACD and vinyl work like a champ every time but the CA chain seems to require attention at the most inappropriate moment.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Cheers

Finally, someone who agrees with me........Sweet Baby Jesus. I every time I turn on my SONOS system, I have to reset the damn thing.

And my Audirvana is nothing but one huge list of songs.....the pain, the pain.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Isn't it funny how the CA gear craps out when your friends come over? SACD and vinyl work like a champ every time but the CA chain seems to require attention at the most inappropriate moment.

Your words to god's ears!!!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19025[/ATTACH]

Full KAB Modification. Yum, Yum.........

IMG_0215.jpg

And when I want to bring out the big boy!!! One tonearm for Mono, one for Stereo!!

All I'm saying is it is not possible to take an opinion on something you haven't tried seriously. If someone tells me that vinyl sounds awful and are basing that opinion on listening to a Technicks SL1200 on an Onkyo receiver I will tell them we are not talking about the same thing. Makes sense?

It makes sense, except I didn't post any of these things that you are apparently attributing to me. I have done numerous long critical listening sessions with analogue rigs costing between $1-20k, and my opinion (note-my opinion-as I have repeatedly said throughout this thread) is that my digital rig that cost a total of about $4k (including 2 dacs, an integrated for speakers, the speakers themselves, an otl headphone amp, a class a ss headphone amp, and $2200 worth of headphones), sounds better than any vinyl rig I've ever heard (note the use of the word I, again). I never said that vinyl sounds "awful," that was your word. And who are you to decide what it means to try something "seriously." You are obviously a holier-than-thou p.o.s (like many others here...ok... maybe 20) whom I have no desire to interact with anymore. I should've stayed gone, but the knowledge, and people like Jud, brought me back.My mistake. Bye. Oh, and Technics has no K in it you putz.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19026[/ATTACH]

And when I want to bring out the big boy!!! One tonearm for Mono, one for Stereo!!

The big boy, is that a 12" arm plus a 10" arm? Classic 4 I assume.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I suspect that both egos got in the way of good behavior.

surely this could *never* happen ! Well, not here on CA anyway ;-)

albert-einstein-ego.jpg?raw=1

I don't see any evidence that Chris's ego (which I also see very little evidence for) got in the way of his remarkably diplomatic behavior and under-stated reply.

+1

Personally, I would not allow some one to attack me in the way that Fremmer has attacked Chris without feeling the need to reply. That is not ego .... it is simply standing up for yourself and setting the record straight as you see it (right or wrong).

agreed, no-one likes being misrepresented. I also think that no matter how professional you are it is very difficult to be completely dispassionate about things you truly care about. However launching a rant against someone is quite different to correcting a misrepresentation.

I have come to realize that opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one ! I have come a long way in my quest for tolerance for those stupid ignorant f8**jking a-holes that disagree with me.......a work in progress ?!

George

My name isn't Alan, although you keep calling me that. I'm just saying that if you heard the very best digital on the very best playback equipment, your jaw would likely drop too !

Alex

Hi Allen, so you will be at Dennis L's place Wednesday week then?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Times have changed, n'est-ce pas?

Perhaps; but aren't LHLabs promoting a new "pure DSD" mechanism which would revert us to the times of having to rely on manufacturers providing their own drivers?

Those who don't learn from history...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Allen, so you will be at Dennis L's place Wednesday week then?

Hi David

Assuming that our friend Dave is able to transport me again.

I look forward to hearing that expensive Bricasti DAC again through the almost $50K Gryphon Preamp , big Nelson Pass 100W Class A monoblocks and the latest speakers that Dennis has to audition. It's a shame that the J.S. designed Regen won't be available in time to see how much USB Audio has further improved through a system of this calibre.

Kind Regards

Sandy

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Perhaps; but aren't LHLabs promoting a new "pure DSD" mechanism which would revert us to the times of having to rely on manufacturers providing their own drivers?

Those who don't learn from history...

As in Merging Technologies' NADAC's making the Ravenna Protocol available for their NADAC?

I was referring to W4S's EJ Sarmento taking steps to provide a driver for W4S Dac owners who were left high and dry and on empty. Whether or not EJ hired someone or wrote the driver himself, I am not sure. W4S provided a temp driver for a time. Followed by a better version.

Fortunately, my timing and the upgrade to W4S Dac2 DSDse obviated the need for a driver (so far).

Whatever your point is, I'll leave it for you to make as I had my say, and said it. (smile).

Best,

Richard

History becomes what one designs the Present to be for the Future. (REShaman)

All I'm saying is it is not possible to take an opinion on something you haven't tried seriously. If someone tells me that vinyl sounds awful and are basing that opinion on listening to a Technicks SL1200 on an Onkyo receiver I will tell them we are not talking about the same thing. Makes sense?

+1!

George

OTOH, I know a number of people who say that vinyl sounds better despite the inconvenience and their clear preference for digital in that regard. :)

I'm not one of them. My defense of vinyl is merely a plea for audiophiles to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Vinyl can sound better than many remember and to is another way to access music, often the only way to access some music.

But as for me, I'll play the records I have (but I do need to cull out the 90% that I don't think sound good enough to keep) but I won't buy any new ones. To me, digital is ultimately better, easier, more convenient. Hell, I record digitally! I certainly don't miss lugging a pair of heavy reel-to-reel tape recorders around in their road cases everywhere I went to record. And while a 15 ips, half-track master tape can sound magnificent, so can a 24-96/192 or DSD master made on a machine like the Korg MR-2000s that's a quarter-rack space high and only 19 inches wide and weighing only about six pounds (and a lot smaller and a lot less weight when I use my Korg MR-1 which is the size of a couple packs of playing cards).

George

George

My name isn't Alan, although you keep calling me that.

I'm just saying that if you heard the very best digital on the very best playback equipment, your jaw would likely drop too !

The technical specifications for 24/192 and the latest DSD are infinitely better than that of vinyl in the areas of S/N, channel separation and dynamic range, as well as the frequency response area where some digital recordings have as low as 5HZ recorded, and genuine musical content to at least 57kHz.

Neither does digital have frequency response level variations in a well designed playback system, whereas vinyl relies on equalisation that is rarely within a dB or so right across the range. It depends on the % accuracy of the capacitors and resistors used etc. to recover the correct playback equalisation. Many vinyl recordings were also created with differing EQ standards. How many even know what the recording EQ used was with some older recordings, and whether the EQ they are using is correct for the particular recording ?

If 24/192 and DSD doesn't shit all over vinyl with it's mechanical resonances, wow and flutter etc. it's because the recording and mastering engineers aren't using the new digital mediums to their full capability, mainly due to their mastering methods. (mixing, EQ and compression) IF digital had been around as long as Vinyl recording, you would also find the playback area far more mature and advanced too. We haven't quite got there yet, as we learn more and more about digital playback as evidenced by recent research by John Swenson and others. How many members are listening to digital via USB, where further improvements are happening rapidly due to John Swenson's Regen etc.? Digital Audio is still in it's infancy when compared with Vinyl !

It would be interesting to hear a comparison between one of Barry Diament's 24/192 recordings and the same microphone feed used to create a vinyl recording using standard vinyl recording methods.

Alex

I'm sorry Alex, I don't know how I got it my head that your real name was Alan. I will avoid that from now on. Please accept my apology.

Well, Alex I have heard the best digital on the best playback equipment and my jaw HAS dropped. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that vinyl is better than digital, because it simply isn't. I'm just saying that vinyl can sound much better than many who who abandoned it when digital came along, seem to remember.

Do I have vinyl records that sound better than the digital releases of the same performances? I do! but that's due to remastering and probably the state of the now 50-year old reel-to-reel masters. Ultimately, as I've said on this forum many times, the production end of the program material is a lot more responsible for the final sound than is the medium.

I also have digital and analog recordings that I've made myself that sound much more real than any commercially available release has ever sounded (if I do say-so myself). I have a DSD recording that I made in a perfect venue (Dinklespiel Auditorum, on campus)) of the Stanford University Jazz Orchestra that I have converted to a 24/96 WAV file and keep on a thumb drive in the spare key compartment in my wallet. Last summer, at the Bay Area Hi-Fi show, I pulled that drive out and handed it to the attendant in a room that was showcasing a pair of SoundLabs' huge Majestic 945 PX speakers powered by Ayre Acoustic electronics. The attendant plugged the thumb-drive into his Mac laptop which was connected to an Ayre QB-9 USB DAC. When the band started to play, not only did my jaw drop, but so did the jaws of everybody else in the room! Not only that but the playback drew in listeners from out in the hallway as well. People said that they had never heard such sound with such great imaging and realistic brass sound (just a simple single point stereo mike)

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

George

I'm sorry Alex, I don't know how I got it my head that your real name was Alan. I will avoid that from now on. Please accept my apology.

Well, Alex I have heard the best digital on the best playback equipment and my jaw HAS dropped. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that vinyl is better than digital, because it simply isn't. I'm just saying that vinyl can sound much better than many who who abandoned it when digital came along, seem to remember.

Do I have vinyl records that sound better than the digital releases of the same performances? I do! but that's due to remastering and probably the state of the now 50-year old reel-to-reel masters. Ultimately, as I've said on this forum many times, the production end of the program material is a lot more responsible for the final sound than is the medium.

I also have digital and analog recordings that I've made myself that sound much more real than any commercially available release has ever sounded (if I do say-so myself). I have a DSD recording that I made in a perfect venue (Dinklespiel Auditorum, on campus)) of the Stanford University Jazz Orchestra that I have converted to a 24/96 WAV file and keep on a thumb drive in the spare key compartment in my wallet. Last summer, at the Bay Area Hi-Fi show, I pulled that drive out and handed it to the attendant in a room that was showcasing a pair of SoundLabs' huge Majestic 945 PX speakers powered by Ayre Acoustic electronics. The attendant plugged the thumb-drive into his Mac laptop which was connected to an Ayre QB-9 USB DAC. When the band started to play, not only did my jaw drop, but so did the jaws of everybody else in the room! Not only that but the playback drew in listeners from out in the hallway as well. People said that they had never heard such sound with such great imaging and realistic brass sound (just a simple single point stereo mike)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19029[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19030[/ATTACH]

George,

That looks like an Avantone CK40 you have there. I have been considering getting one of those. Were you using it in Blumlein, MS or just crossed card mode? I take it from the recorded result that you describe the mic does it jobs pretty well. I prefer using MS or alternatively Blumlein when I can. Having it all in a stereo mic like that sure would be convenient.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.