IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

7 hours ago, Bertel said:

Let my try to clarify and visualise what I'm trying to achieve - please bear with me 😉

If you want the best SQ to your Signature Rendu SE:

Add the EtherRegen after the Microtik fiber switch. Purchase a Sonore OpticalModule DL. Add that between EtherRegen and the Signature Rendu SE.

In my view, how you have connected this now, is a total waste of the EtherRegen.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Purchase a Sonore OpticalModule DL. Add that between EtherRegen and the Signature Rendu SE.

You don't need the OpticalModule. Just put an SFP into the ER cage and feed it to the Sig Rendu SE. Use the same model SFP at the Rendu end.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

If you want the best SQ to your Signature Rendu SE:

Add the EtherRegen after the Microtik fiber switch. Purchase a Sonore OpticalModule DL. Add that between EtherRegen and the Signature Rendu SE.

Wait - convert fiber to copper Ethernet, and then back to fiber…? No way 😆

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

You don't need the OpticalModule. Just put an SFP into the ER cage and feed it to the Sig Rendu SE. Use the same model SFP at the Rendu end.

Well, your solution requires that EtherRegen is in B>A. 

But worth testing as he can do it now. RJ45 to Mikrotik. 

5 hours ago, robi20064 said:

What does copper "add back" before it would be converted to fiber once again - right before the Rendu SE?

I gather what is suggested is:

CRS 305 > fibre > ER side A - Side B > copper > Rendu.

and

CRS 305 > fibre > Optical Module > copper > Rendu.

or

CRS 305 > fibre > ER side A - Side B > copper > Optical Module > fibre > Rendu.

or 

CRS 305 > fibre > Optical Module > copper > ER side A - Side B > copper > Rendu.

or 

CRS 305 > fibre > Optical Module > copper > ER Side B - Side A > fibre > Rendu.

So many possibilities, permutations and variables.

But it puts a better clock and design right before the Rendu, which could be a superior outcome compared to just fibre from CRS 305.  In other words, adding potential dis-benefits of copper is outweighed by the benefits.  This also leaves the only RJ45 of the CRS 305 to be used to connect to the router.

There is no ideal, every solution has 'cons', just some are better outcomes in any given situation.

7 hours ago, Bertel said:

Wait - convert fiber to copper Ethernet, and then back to fiber…? No way 😆

You could be assuming fibre is always best, which might not be true.

7 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Oh, maybe there are different versions.  I read ...The Signature Rendu SE takes fiber optic Ethernet input or cable ethernet input here ... https://www.sonore.us/Signature-Rendu-SE.html

There are two versions. I have owned both.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, dbastin said:

Oh, maybe there are different versions.  I read ...The Signature Rendu SE takes fiber optic Ethernet input or cable ethernet input here ... https://www.sonore.us/Signature-Rendu-SE.html

That is a mistake on the Sonore website. AFAIK they are only offering the Signature Rendu with SFP cage input for the past year or so.  The Signature is just the same board as the opticalRendu in a larger case with a bespoke LPS built-in (by my friend Barrows). Prior to the opticalRendu being available the Signature used the RJ45 input ultraRendu board.

Of course it is possible they are implying that one could install an RJ45 SFP module to gain wire cable input. But that would be terrible as that type of transceiver has a cruddy clock and PHY, both running running from poor DC-DC voltage regulators powered from the one 3.3V line that feeds all SFP cages.

3 hours ago, audiophilac said:

Hopefully in future etherregen would have two sfp ports.

I have requested this several times, and my understanding is that it's not feasible without a tremendous raise in cost.

Dual PS, bigger case, much more complex board design etc. 

Technical possible. 

I personally will struggle to pay to much over 1K for a switch. You may have to triple that amount.

It may be more interesting to have a upgraded clock in the opticalRendu. 

I don't know if its and option to "move" the present SFP to B side, so you may have two versions of the EtherRegen deping if you have an optical interface to you streamer. (A Rendu in most cases). 

Or have a EtherRegen with a better XO clock inside, with maybe even a external 10 mHz out. Then I can probably be willing to pay up to 1,5K. 

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well, your solution requires that EtherRegen is in B>A. 

That's what I'm doing. 

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, R1200CL said:

I have requested this several times, and my understanding is that it's not feasible without a tremendous raise in cost.

Dual PS, bigger case, much more complex board design etc. 

Technical possible. 

I personally will struggle to pay to much over 1K for a switch. You may have to triple that amount.

It may be more interesting to have a upgraded clock in the opticalRendu. 

I don't know if its and option to "move" the present SFP to B side, so you may have two versions of the EtherRegen deping if you have an optical interface to you streamer. (A Rendu in most cases). 

Or have a EtherRegen with a better XO clock inside, with maybe even a external 10 mHz out. Then I can probably be willing to pay up to 1,5K. 

i think i am keen to pay for more features on eR. so i can compare it against sotm. 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:27 AM, audiophilac said:

i think i am keen to pay for more features on eR. so i can compare it against sotm. 

Have a look at The «Master Clock for your EtherREGEN» thread. You may just find the answers there in latest posts. Also it seems the myth of 10GB is better is just being busted. 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Have a look at The «Master Clock for your EtherREGEN» thread. You may just find the answers there in latest posts. Also it seems the myth of 10GB is better is just being busted. 

To be very clear the EtherREGEN isn't a 10GbE device nor do I know of any 10 GbE device which accepts an external master clock. 10GbE used a newer type of compliance testing namely the "stressed receiver" test. What myth has been busted and specifically how?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

20 hours ago, R1200CL said:

The Sotm switch isn't 10G.

I use a few sets of Finisar 1475s and enjoy it very much, though I've yet to test/experience 1G transceivers and expensive copper cords.

9 hours ago, MartinT said:

Just to bring everyone up to date, the HP JD094B-C SFPs have proven fierce competition for the BlueOptics SFPs. I'm currently running them with the ipolex OS2-LC-LC cable. Their sound is detailed, rich and with superb dynamics and I find them a touch better balanced than the BlueOptics.

How long have you used your transceivers and cable?

7 hours ago, audiophilac said:

How long have you used your transceivers and cable?

The HPs have been running for three weeks now, with the ipolex fibre.  They run pretty hot but are working well in the EtherREGEN and Signature Rendu SE.  As of last night, they sound incredibly good.

I have now tried mixing the SFPs (with the same speed and protocol, obviously) with a BlueOptics at the sending (EtherREGEN) end and the HP at the receiving (Signature Rendu SE) end.  This also works and brings out a touch more detail without losing the full richness of the HPs.

MartinT. Enjoy your experimentation, have learned from it so thank you.

Having trouble finding HP and BlueOptics SFPs for an ER AB AB optical connection. I am using Finisar 1000Base 1324 transceivers now. I'll try either one if I could find them if you have suggestions as where they can be found. Thanks

iMac 27" with local music files > Audirvana Studio > Router/ Modem> etherRegan )JS-2 LPS > Sablon > 2nd etherRegan (LPS 1.2))>UltraRendu (LPS-1.2)> Schiit Yggy > Ayre K5 XE MP Preamp > Ayre v5 Amp > Aerial 10-T Speakers. PC's, SC's and  IC's Cerious Technology Matrix and Ghent DC cords. Gaia under components and speakers. 1 Topaz 1k Iso, BPT power center. Maestro wall plug, dedicated 20 amp run to equipment, second run to distant iMac/Router, BK Precision 1604 and 2nd Topaz.