IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

4 minutes ago, ericuco said:

I have always bought cables from Fibertronics which uses Corning glass. They have always been good to deal with, quick shipping and good prices.

Per their website: 

Fibertronics offers a huge selection of Fiber Optic Patch Cables. Most of our cables are Ready-to-Ship for overnight deliveries. Single-mode and Multimode fiber optic jumper and patch cords are available at factory direct prices. Don't forget we also offer armored variants as well. Some of our options include; 9/125, 50/125, 62.5/125, 10Gb OM3 and OM2. Our assemblies are manufactured using Corning glass and all cables can be customized for little to no extra cost.”

Thanks for the resource. I also use fs.com which has great prices. I don't know that they use Corning glass or not. I just know that Corning is state of the art and not very expensive.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 1 month later...

Sorry late to the party but my Fiber Optic media converter arrived today consisting of:
10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module (Kit #5)
10Gtek OS2 LC to LC Duplex Fiber Patch Cable 0.5m
TOPPING P50 LPS
USB Type A Male to 90 Degree Barrel Connector Charging Cable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V 80cm
Veetop Ethernet LAN Cat 8 RJ45 Cable 0.25

Initial Impressions: Uplift in resolution, separation, blacker background, a bit more analog(?) to my system.
Verdict: For 220Eur total, yes a keeper.

Pics or did not happen:

20221205_193443.jpg

20221205_193649.jpg

• 1 month later...

I’ve read countless pages and my head is swimming with what might be the best components for my situation. Currently I have a Pi2AES streamer with a copper Ethernet connection connected to my Yggy via AES and would like to implement a Copper > Fiber > Copper connection to see if it improves my SQ. I’ve been considering an EtherRegen instead but think that may be beyond my budget. Also the Pi2AES utilizes a SOTM SPS-500 power supply.

From what I gathered as components that provide some of the best results I’m considering 2 1Gb FMC’s from fs.com , 2 JD094B HPE H3C Compatible 10GBase-LR SFP+ and a ipolex OS2-LC-LC cable. I will power the FMC closest to my Pi2AES with my Shanti LPS.

Does this sound like a workable solution? Is there a better solution or components?

40 minutes ago, sjj said:

I’m considering 2 1Gb FMC’s from fs.com , 2 JD094B HPE H3C Compatible 10GBase-LR SFP+ and a ipolex OS2-LC-LC cable.

I would not use SFP+ (10Gbe) modules (transceivers) with SFP (1Gbe) FMC.  It might work but not guaranteed so to begin with stick with same level (SFP or SFP+) components. Most SFP+ equipment (FMC, switch) will work with SFP modules but not vise versa.

Also, make sure you have correct cables to match modules (single mode or multi-mode). Again, these are not interchangeable.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, jabbr said:

What you want to do is keep the first FMC entirely outside your conditioned power area of your audio system. That way the only inputs to your audio area are

1) fiber

2) conditioned power -- and ideally your power conditioner is isolating

Very good advice.

This is such a crucial setup control point and so hard to figure out on your own. Wish such isolation principles were easier to find or more widely known. I suppose there is an enjoyment in the self discovery method also, that is, hours and hours of frustration chasing it down if at all!

On 1/11/2023 at 11:09 PM, jabbr said:

Yeah to expand on this, I have two power domains: 1) the high power servers, NAS, switches and all the junk in my house 2) a hefty isolation transformer which supplies clean power to my audio area. The isolation transformer prevents ground loops/leakage currents from the various gunk in my house (fridge, SMPS, TV etc) from interacting with my audio equipment.

The only source of digital information to "penetrate" my audio area arrives via fiberoptic. This is  pure digital bits with no electronic noise so the high powered server processing/filters etc  doesn't transmit noise into the audio area.

I have a similar setup, I would like to ask a question.  

In this scenario, can power supplies or less noisy equipment (in my case I have the Roon Server and the router in another room) interfere with the SQ of the setup?

I would like to test it in practice but the cost is high just to clear the doubt.

9 minutes ago, barrows said:

My suggestion is to first get everything "right" in the audio system. 

once you have the audio side fully optimized, perhaps your system will sound so good, that your time would be better spent enjoying the music than tweaking further with gear.   

That's great advice!

33 minutes ago, juniorbudel said:

In this scenario, can power supplies or less noisy equipment (in my case I have the Roon Server and the router in another room) interfere with the SQ of the setup?

I will add that if one is using a roonserver then things can get blurry (debatable) on what helps. It may seem innocent and easy but can be a beast of a challenge to clean up. All I will say is that since it directly affects the audio quality in one's setup, whatever improvements you make for/around/inside it, shows itself regardless of clean or dirty side.

2 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

I will add that if one is using a roonserver then things can get blurry (debatable) on what helps. It may seem innocent and easy but can be a beast of a challenge to clean up. All I will say is that since it directly affects the audio quality in one's setup, whatever improvements you make for/around/inside it, shows itself regardless of clean or dirty side.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Certainly Roon's filter's are up for debate and one can question the quality of the underlying datastream on that basis. I personally use HQPlayers filters/demodulators and there is no question that different settings have different SQ. The EC modulators in particular take huge processing capabilities including overclocking if up to DSD512 and now even DSD1024!!! This high powered/overclocked server noise is obliterated by fiber and the SQ is phenomenal.

However there is **zero noise** coming from a Roon server which makes it across a modern fiberoptic network. Fiberoptics are not capable of transmitting common mode noise by definition (that's the pesky noise) and differential mode as well as phase noise is tested **not** to be transmitted over a  10Gbe(+) ethernet.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I was not questioning the isolation aspect of fiber but rather pointing that a roonserver needs careful integration.

In my experience the Roonserver itself changes the sound quality as a source component. I don't use hqplayer so am not able to share if that does clean up any issues from the roonserver. Power supply on the roonserver certainly made a difference in my setup and it is upstream before the fiber isolation. 

@jabbr thank you for the explanation on controlling noise with isolation transformer. Your insight is helpful and it is apparent that you are knowledgeable on the topic.

Since my initial comment to @juniorbudel  was unclear (I didn't want to go off topic with a Roon discussion) I want to clarify a little further. The question, if I understood correct, was whether power supply and hardware can improve sound quality from a Roonserver. This is in addition to power and network isolation for the main audio setup. In the past I shared some of my experience here:

I find that the Roonserver is similar to any source component in the system and benefits from good power supply and careful setup. I am open to learning new things and changing course that creates better listening experience so I am interested in hearing any different experience others have.

As long as one is hearing good sound and enjoying their music, that is all that matters!

Thanks everyone for the reports.  

My set is completely isolated from the “dirty” side, in the listening room the fiber arrives at a Sotm switch, which feeds an Ultrarendu -> Matrix SPdif -> Direcstream DAC -> pre/power Electrocompaniet.  The sound for my intentions is spectacular, I haven't changed anything on the set for more than a year and I'm thinking about the possibilities without incurring huge costs.  

On the dirty side, I have the Roon Core (associated with HQPLAYER) which is actually an All In One HP that I use on a daily basis, I have no intention in the short and medium term of turning this server into a dedicated machine, much less mounting something fanless.  

In addition to the server, I have a router from the operator (any brand) and from this router the signal is sent to another Ubiquiti router that sends the fiber to the listening room.  

I was suggested a DC Filter Kit by FX Audio - Petit Susie and Petit Tank, could you try them on the Ubiquiti router and on the server, does anyone know?  Recommend?

13 hours ago, juniorbudel said:

Thanks everyone for the reports.  

My set is completely isolated from the “dirty” side, in the listening room the fiber arrives at a Sotm switch, which feeds an Ultrarendu -> Matrix SPdif -> Direcstream DAC -> pre/power Electrocompaniet.  The sound for my intentions is spectacular, I haven't changed anything on the set for more than a year and I'm thinking about the possibilities without incurring huge costs.  

On the dirty side, I have the Roon Core (associated with HQPLAYER) which is actually an All In One HP that I use on a daily basis, I have no intention in the short and medium term of turning this server into a dedicated machine, much less mounting something fanless.  

In addition to the server, I have a router from the operator (any brand) and from this router the signal is sent to another Ubiquiti router that sends the fiber to the listening room.  

I was suggested a DC Filter Kit by FX Audio - Petit Susie and Petit Tank, could you try them on the Ubiquiti router and on the server, does anyone know?  Recommend?

If you change a cable or power supply on your dirty side, can you hear any difference?