IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

First time on this forum. Currently auditioning a Yggdrasil, although it only seems a subtle change from my current Emotiva DC-1. Been running it 2 days, will continue for the recommended week or so to warm up (do electronics really take that long?). Will this really sound markedly after a week?

Mac mini (3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3) with external Crucial 2TB SSD  > Schiit Yggdrasil (A1) > Emotiva XPS-1 > Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks > Magnepan 1.7s, and Rhymik LV12Rs (2), and Schiit Asgard 2 > AKG Q702

First time on this forum. Currently auditioning a Yggdrasil, although it only seems a subtle change from my current Emotiva DC-1. Been running it 2 days, will continue for the recommended week or so to warm up (do electronics really take that long?). Will this really sound markedly after a week?

Ah if it doesn't check your other gear ! . Are you keeping the Yggy on 24/7 ? That is a must .

24/2 at this point. All other gear is working well: Magnepan 1.7s, Emotiva XSP-1 (new) and XPA-1 monoblocks.

Mac mini (3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3) with external Crucial 2TB SSD  > Schiit Yggdrasil (A1) > Emotiva XPS-1 > Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks > Magnepan 1.7s, and Rhymik LV12Rs (2), and Schiit Asgard 2 > AKG Q702

I read somewhere that the AES output is better than USB? Anyone compare the two?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

24/2 at this point. All other gear is working well: Magnepan 1.7s, Emotiva XSP-1 (new) and XPA-1 monoblocks.

There should be some improvement at the 1 week mark. My Yggy has been on continuous burn-in for over a month and has stabilized. What's driving the Yggy, and with what interface?

There should be some improvement at the 1 week mark. My Yggy has been on continuous burn-in for over a month and has stabilized. What's driving the Yggy, and with what interface?

Using USB from Mac Mini, iTunes. Same as previous DAC.

any thoughts on running the Yggy USB from the mac mini or using the stello U3 and run coax into the Yggy?

I am quite sure the Stello will be the weakest link in the chain then. May be a Berkeley Alpha USB gives good results. I tried Regen/BADA coax into Chord Hugo but preferred Regen directly into Hugo.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Ordered a Yggy on the buzz off this forum. Right out of the box, sounded pretty good to me. After 1 day warm up, compared to my Vega. Vega had deeper soundstage, Yggy had wider soundstage. Yggy more detailed to my ears, Vega more relaxed and mellow, using usb on both with Mac Pro, Wireworld USB and Jitterbug. Anyone tried Alpha USB with the Yggy?

Ordered a Yggy on the buzz off this forum. Right out of the box, sounded pretty good to me. After 1 day warm up, compared to my Vega. Vega had deeper soundstage, Yggy had wider soundstage. Yggy more detailed to my ears, Vega more relaxed and mellow, using usb on both with Mac Pro, Wireworld USB and Jitterbug. Anyone tried Alpha USB with the Yggy?

Alpha USB with Yggdrasil is sublime.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

What are you running form Alpha to the Yggy? BTW, I am running Constellation Inspiration and bought the Yggy on the buzz here and your review. You nailed the Yggy IMHO. Thanks for the heads up on one of the best deals out there.

Yggy more detailed to my ears, Vega more relaxed and mellow

Really interesting observation here. My impression from reading reviews is that the house sound for the Schiit multi bit implementation is more mellow while the Vega is more detailed and dynamic. Just goes to show you that every system and listener is different.

Btw, I intend to audition both the Gungnir and Yggy. I really hope my ears can't the difference between the two!

So are you saying usb through the Alpha sounds better than connected directly to the Yggy?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Really interesting observation here. My impression from reading reviews is that the house sound for the Schiit multi bit implementation is more mellow while the Vega is more detailed and dynamic. Just goes to show you that every system and listener is different.

Btw, I intend to audition both the Gungnir and Yggy. I really hope my ears can't the difference between the two!

So are you saying usb through the Alpha sounds better than connected directly to the Yggy?

Re the sound- The Yggy was only on for 1 day, so it will no doubt change its sound as it warms up (according to this forum). That was why I noted the 1 day warm up. Also, I can really see why anyone would love the sound of amy of these DACs. System interaction dictate a lot of what we end up hearing in a component, and personal preference is the decisive factor in where we spend our cash.

Also, I have the same question- does the Alpha USB make the DAC sound better than without it?

I listened to the MB Gungnir and Yggy for months . The Yggy is much better . The MB Gungnir is very good just not as detailed . Soundstage is smaller .

Heard the Bifrost Multibit by any chance?

The Ygg, sadly, is beyond my budget but the Gungnir Multibit might be possible. I have a balanced preamp and amp it the will make a difference, (especially vs. the SE Bifrost).

Heard the Bifrost Multibit by any chance?

The Ygg, sadly, is beyond my budget but the Gungnir Multibit might be possible. I have a balanced preamp and amp it the will make a difference, (especially vs. the SE Bifrost).

I have not heard MB Bifrost but I will say the MB Gungnir is just as good as my Chord 2qute .

I listened to the MB Gungnir and Yggy for months . The Yggy is much better . The MB Gungnir is very good just not as detailed . Soundstage is smaller .

Exactly what my wallet does not want to hear right now! Lol.

Other components:

Wire World AES cable.

Yes.

I questioned M. Ritter, of Berkeley, about using AES/XLR, directly from, say, an Aries to his DAC and his reply, as I understood it to be, was more a hesitation about the possible poor implementation of these AES/XLR protocols, hence the wish to insure better implementation and therefore the need for the Alpha USB.

+1 (I gave my first impressions about the Yggy in page 9). I made extensive tests and the Berkeley Alpha USB is clearly an improvement compared to the direct USB input of the Yggy (from a MacBookPro). I would say the improvement is much obvious in high frequencies, and less obvious in the mid and low frequencies, but still there. I use the AES output of the Alpha USB, so maybe a part of the benefit to use the Berkeley comes from feeding the Yggy with AES instead of USB.

Mac Book Pro 8Go RAM- 256 Go SSD (El Capitan - Pure Music + Audirvana + Dirac room corection) - Berkeley alpha USB - Dacs : Ayon CD5 + Shiit Yggdrasil - Isomax PC2XR - Preamp : Supratek Cortese - Power amps: Cary CAD 211 AE + Esoteric A03 - Integrated amp : Pathos Ethos - Speakers : Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage

+1 (I gave my first impressions about the Yggy in page 9). I made extensive tests and the Berkeley Alpha USB is clearly an improvement compared to the direct USB input of the Yggy (from a MacBookPro). I would say the improvement is much obvious in high frequencies, and less obvious in the mid and low frequencies, but still there. I use the AES output of the Alpha USB, so maybe a part of the benefit to use the Berkeley comes from feeding the Yggy with AES instead of USB.

Would the expected improvement be comparable if using an Aurender N100H as the source (vs. the MacBookPro)? Or would the marginal improvement be less since the output of the Aurender is "better" to begin with?

Or stated another way, I noticed in the review of the Berkeley Alpha USB by CA that "Audiophiles prepared to part with $1,895 will no doubt be delighted with the Alpha USB connected to any source or any DAC." Generally, would a "bad" source likely be greatly improved but a "good" source only marginally improved?

Thanks for any thoughts.