IGNORED

Article: The Computer Audiophile 100 Playlist

Thanks for this, how can I get to it using the Aries app?

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

Nice to see John Martyn and John Hiatt on there. :) Not everyone knows about them, but more people should.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Chris, Just wanted to thank you for this one. Good stuff. Being a non-classical guy, this kind of list is right up my alley and something I've been looking for since I've had my Aries up and running. Listening to Sonny Rollins as I type.

I would love for Tidal to eventually allow user playlists and the ability to "follow friends" the way Spotify does. It would be fun to create and share with folks around here.

And I should acknowledge your discipline making this list....cause I am CERTAIN that you so badly wanted to put a Pearl Jam song in there! (Yes, I saw the Temple of the Dog!)

Great job and thanks again!

Thanks for this. It really helps to be able to hear what you listened to when reviewing equipment; the music is also fun listening regardless. And now, the Big Ask: Can you put together some notes for what it is in each (or some) of these tracks that you listen to/listen for when using them as part of an equipment evaluation? And could you have that on my desk by 9:00 Monday? JK, but it would be fun and educational to use this as a way to open up some discussion on "how to listen" to various types of music and recording styles.

"The Computer Audiophile 100 is a playlist of music that I use for evaluating components at home and at audio shows."

Californication?! You're off your rocker Chris. The album Californication ranks sonically as one of the worst popular recordings due to it's extremely hot mastering and overuse of compression.

I agree only a few like Death Magnetic are a sonic disaster worse than Californication. On the other hand, I like it all the same. I wish it sounded better, but I like it.

Also good to see someone listing John Hiatt which as mainstream recordings go has pretty good sonics.

Still trying to decide if it makes up for JayZ and KanyeWest. Right now it doesn't, but only because of the taste of vomit in the back of my throat.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Although this may sound heretical.... any chance of a conversion to a Spotify playlist?

I gave up on Tidal due to dropouts +++ here in Australia. Will look again when hopefully the word on the street is that this is fixed....

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

"The Computer Audiophile 100 is a playlist of music that I use for evaluating components at home and at audio shows."

Californication?! You're off your rocker Chris. The album Californication ranks sonically as one of the worst popular recordings due to it's extremely hot mastering and overuse of compression.

I make sure that somewhere on my demo list (a test track full of sonic hurdles, loop-d-loops and wet slick surfaces) are examples of the worst compression (or music I otherwise would enjoy). There's no better way to understand the limits of a new piece of gear than to hear what it does to Stadium Arcadium-style compression. Some actuallly make it listenable, which may be a benefit (assuming it doesn't just smooth over everything it gets). Now don't get me wrong...it's one or two tracks, max. We're not masochists here. :)

Great idea Chris. Maybe those of us who write reviews here should post something too (not trying to be a copy cat, but simply to add to the fun..I haven't checked which of my go-to's are or are not on Tidal). I love that you have Headshots and Lazy Moon! Geniuses thinking alike. :) It's too bad Keith's Main Offender isn't available..it would be on there.

I make sure that somewhere on my demo list (a test track full of sonic hurdles, loop-d-loops and wet slick surfaces) are examples of the worst compression (or music I otherwise would enjoy). There's no better way to understand the limits of a new piece of gear than to hear what it does to Stadium Arcadium-style compression. Some actuallly make it listenable, which may be a benefit (assuming it doesn't just smooth over everything it gets). Now don't get me wrong...it's one or two tracks, max. We're not masochists here. :)

Exactly Ted.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for this. It really helps to be able to hear what you listened to when reviewing equipment; the music is also fun listening regardless. And now, the Big Ask: Can you put together some notes for what it is in each (or some) of these tracks that you listen to/listen for when using them as part of an equipment evaluation? And could you have that on my desk by 9:00 Monday? JK, but it would be fun and educational to use this as a way to open up some discussion on "how to listen" to various types of music and recording styles.

Oh sure, 9AM Monday no problem. As long as I have the weekend :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png