IGNORED

Article: The Computer Audiophile 100 Playlist

I found it interesting that Benjamin Britten, Michael Daugherty, Franz Liszt and Max Bruch are the two classical composers that made it to the 100 list: our generous host has very eclectic taste.

Besides that, there is so much music on this list that I don't know that I am salivating but don't know where to start. I'll perhaps go to the exact opposite of classical music on the spectrum and start with Jay-Z's Magna Carta album.

I found it interesting that Benjamin Britten, Michael Daugherty, Franz Liszt and Max Bruch are the two classical composers that made it to the 100 list: our generous host has very eclectic taste.

Besides that, there is so much music on this list that I don't know that I am salivating but don't know where to start. I'll perhaps go to the exact opposite of classical music on the spectrum and start with Jay-Z's Magna Carta album.

I assume these classical selections made it on the list as they are mostly from Reference Recordings.

By the way, I just love the Herbie Hancock/Christina Aguilera A Song For You. It is one of my test tracks as well.

This is an excellent list to listen while doing school work as I went back to school, 20 years after I graduated from college the first time. Excellent job, Chris!!Now I would propose a Computer Audiophile 200 and let your readers suggest atleast one track that might be acceptable to you. I would start out with Headlights - The Blue Nile(Hats album).

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

By the way, I just love the Herbie Hancock/Christina Aguilera A Song For You. It is one of my test tracks as well.

Thanks. I'll get the Hancock-Aguilera. I am something of a Hancock fan: I even got the "Herbie Hancok Signature Pono Player" on Kickstarter.

In the meantime, I bought Jay-Z's Magna Carta from Qobuz, where it is currently on sale. For the first time I truly enjoyed hip-hop. The lyrics are somewhat reminiscent of Carmina Burana in terms of the topics from which they draw inspiration.

By the way, this makes me wonder why rap or hip hop CDs come with big "Explicit" stickers while I never saw any on recordings of Carmina Burana or Clément Janequin's secular songs. Many of Janequin's secular songs are more explicit than Jay-Z's.

Thanks. I'll get the Hancock-Aguilera. I am something of a Hancock fan: I even got the "Herbie Hancok Signature Pono Player" on Kickstarter.

It's on this album, which I can generally recommend if you like the contemporary (i.e. pop) Hancock, it is very similar to the Imagine Project album.

http://www.amazon.com/Possibilities-Herbie-Hancock/dp/B000AARK2Q

Excellent songs are the collaborations with Annie Lennox (Hush Hush), and Jonny Lang/Joss Stone (When Love Comes To Town). On the other hand, "I Just Called" is way worse than the alre

By the way, this makes me wonder why rap or hip hop CDs come with big "Explicit" stickers while I never saw any on recordings of Carmina Burana or Clément Janequin's secular songs. Many of Janequin's secular songs are more explicit than Jay-Z's.

I guess the average US high school kids that need "protection" from the explicit lyrics usually are not very fluent in Latin or medieval French, and the censors that put those stickers (whoever they are) probably have the same handicap.

Try making it a Favorite via the web browser, then going to My Music in the iPhone app to see if it shows up. Let me know :~)

Yes, that works. Note that it's the Tidal iPhone app.

Suggest substituting any other version of "Dimming of the Day" for the Tom Jones cover. Any other version. How about the Richard & Linda Thompson one?

—David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Sweden. And waiting for a response from the Wimp support guys.

WiMP support says it is not possible to import Tidal playlists.

And who knows - soon maybe we are all transformed into Tidal users ... :-) , I said.

Tidal has a list of countries already getting Tidal:

[h=1]TIDAL is currently available in these countries[/h]TidalTiny.png

TIDAL Support [EM]Last Tuesday at 10:07

• United States of America
  • United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Finland
  • Belgium
  • Italy
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • Denmark
  • Czech Republic
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania
  • Latvia
  • Norway

And if Norway and Denmark alreay are in , Sweden would probably be around the corner. And Germany?

Anyway I made a list of my own - taking the liberty of borrowing parts of Chris' list and adding some other stuff. Great fun! I ended up with 155 entrie, hence the name: Zyberguran 155.

http://wimpmusic.se/playlist/6bcd592a-983e-4b96-a5c3-c3d91073b309

Have a nice evening

Zyberguran

Can I import the list to Wimp (Nordic version of Tidal)?

I just found a way:

log into Wimp webplayer, then navigate to any existing playlist of your own and have a look at the URL in your browser. it should look similiar to this:

https://play.wimpmusic.com/playlist/6009196c-22f0-48f1-b5f4-e8fc26bc4c44

now mark the numbers and letters after the last slash and exchange it for this:

356c4693-0889-4ad3-ab13-79c90724eb28

Now Wimp's webplayer should show the CA Top 100 Playlist. Although in my webplayer it shows only 90 titles. That cpuld be a copyright issue. Mark it as favourite and it's saved to your playlists.

my system: Intel based music pc running Win7 64bit -> Foobar2000 -> Jplay -> USB out to MF Vlink 192 -> Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC -> Lyngdorf SDAI-2175 Amp -> Intertechnik DIY Speakers EX4 HE (with Seas Excel Drivers, Audyn and Mundorf caps and coils), Cables by Nordost

I find some music on that list I like but most music genres I like to listen are missing. I am more astonished a lot are older recordings. Is high res becoming irrelevant?

I wonder when streaming at 16/44.1 there is no sonic benefit for high res recordings and good old analog recordings are sufficient.

Nice list.

For those of us not on Tidal, can you post a list of songs? I've got a large fraction on my hard drive already.

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Great list. Is there some way to get a text based or Excel based listing for those of us without Tidal? I've got quite a few of your selections already available on my NAS.

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Just click the link to see the entire list.

That returns a blank black page ... even with all the antivirus, firewalls, and pop up blockers turned off:

TIDAL

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing the playlist.

Great music.

By the way, how do you subscribe to your blog? I don't know if you remember me, but it was a fun topic of discussion at the dinner with Tim at CES 2015. I still haven't figured it out! - Carlos

Hi Carlos - Of course I remember you! Thanks for posting. Here is the information about subscribing to CA - > Computer Audiophile - Become a CA Subscriber Today!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I just found a way:

log into Wimp webplayer, then navigate to any existing playlist of your own and have a look at the URL in your browser. it should look similiar to this:

https://play.wimpmusic.com/playlist/6009196c-22f0-48f1-b5f4-e8fc26bc4c44

now mark the numbers and letters after the last slash and exchange it for this:

356c4693-0889-4ad3-ab13-79c90724eb28

Now Wimp's webplayer should show the CA Top 100 Playlist. Although in my webplayer it shows only 90 titles. That cpuld be a copyright issue. Mark it as favourite and it's saved to your playlists.

Hi

Here is another playlist from my Wimp Hi-Fi. I have created this with norwegian music only. "My 50 norwegian picks"

http://wimp.no/playlist/b4e18835-58cb-401c-9b3c-147a5be2df16

atletico

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo