IGNORED

What's you're favorite genre of music?

mayhem13

You're Favorite musical genre  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have you ever listened to portuguese guitar music?

I have not. A different sound. Looks and sounds to be twelve strings? Thanks for pointing this out.

A friend plays a conventional 12 string. Different animal than this Portuguese guitar though.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Love that reply. Which brings to mind I also love good acoustical guitar. Other than country (and with good guitar country is tolerable for a bit). I actually find picking a favorite genre difficult. Acoustical guitar is not by a long ways the most often listened to genre for me. Yet when I do, it is very special and satisfying the way nothing else is.

Check out Carlos Montoya playing Farucca. More 'cultural' than classical but the most virtuous player I've ever heard.......IMO of course.

I'm not sure 64 entries represents a fair representation of the CA community, so I'm shamelessly bumping this to see if we can't dredge up a few more entries.

FWIW.....the CA poll limits would not let me include more genres......that being said, I think I did an OK job working within the confines as the 'Other' entry isn't that high. I'd like to see less than 10% of the total votes.

don’t know how to vote. listen to whatever am in the mood for.

recent albums played:

the beatles >> rubber soul

u2 >> rattle & hum

the chieftains >> the long black veil

daft punk >> random access memories

of monsters and men >> my head is an animal

boys don’t cry >> rumer

daft punk >> tron legacy

vangelis >> blade runner

acoustic alchemy >> reference point

miles davis >> kind of blue

spyro gyra >> the best of spyro gyra

marianne thorsen + trondheim solistine >> mozart violin concertos

maria joao pires >> chopin - the nocturnes

la capella reial de catalunya/le concert des nations/pierre hantai/jordi savall >> bach and vivaldi - magnificat + concerti

+ some “new discoveries":

fritz reiner & CSO >> prokoffief lieutenant kije / stravinsky - song of the nightingale

jeff wayne >> the war of the worlds

afrojack >> forget the world

cheers.

Don't really know whether I'm actually into 'Rock" or not? Or, I crossover from light rock to easy listening?

To name a few, from Bobby V-Sealed with a Kiss, Temptation-My Girl, Sting-Every breath you take, Faith-Like we never loved at all,to Meagan Trainer-All about that Bass, and Killers-Human. My family laugh at my selection of songs when they actually listen to classical (kind of boring to me) music in the car. I am outnumbered by their seemingly higher class music selections than mine, feeling like being discriminated. :)

A good song finds me even during my sleep.

Thank God for my aging ears. I now can filter out blah blah blah and tune in blue blue blue...

What I was expecting to see as more votes cast with classical having a better showing. Still surprised at Rock leading the way just shy of 32 percent though. I'd feel better about a fair representation of CA with 100 votes......we'll see.

Would be interesting to do the same poll with multiple choice allowed.

I am impressed with the large amount of members who prefer "classical"; I wasn't expecting that.

It's not what I'm used to seeing in audio forums.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I voted R&B but I also love the music from the late 60s and early 70s ... this was a unique era of music. I went through my vinyl collection and I listened to the following (and still do together with more contemporary musicians):

.... The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Band, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Neil Young, Supertramp, CS&N, Joni Mitchell, Donovan, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Blind Faith, Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull, Queen, The Eagles, Bob Seeger, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Who, Lou Reed, The Clash, Creedance, Iggy Pop, The Allman Brothers, Bob Marley, John Lennon, Dire Straits, Little Feat, Yes, The Who, Bruce Springsteen & E Street, Santana, Deep Purple, Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Roxy Music, T Rex, Free, Van Morrison, The Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Traffic, ELO, Ramones, Jim Croce, AC/DC, Elton John, Chicago, Cat Stevens, JJ Cale, Jackson Browne, America, BB King, Janis Joplin, Billy Joel, Blind Faith, Cream, Bruce Hornsby, Buddy Guy, Buffalo Springfield, Stephen Stills, Canned Heat, Carol King, Ry Cooder, Doobie Brothers, Gram Parsons, Harry Nilsson, James Taylor, Tim Buckley, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Armatrading, John Lee Hooker, John Mayall, John Prine, Johnny Cash, Johnny Winter, Johnny Rivers, Leonard Cohen, Linda Ronstadt, Long John Baldry, Paul Simon, Phoebe Snow, Roy Orbison, Sam Cooke, etc etc....

It would have been easier to list those musicians I didn't like or listen too. Can you pick a dud?

These legends mostly belong to Rock & Roll but I couldn't let R&B languish so far behind in the poll because The Blues (R&B) is the father of Rock and should be recognised for the influence it had on these artists.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Classical is starting to catch up in the stretch. Quite often I read posts where an established reference for systems could or should be live music and in the case of classical, this fits the reference for those predisposed to it. Personally, chamber music for strings is one of my favorites too. I've often critiqued my own systems performance against the lower octave of a cello.

Voted alternative, but like so many others mentioned, some of the bands I listen to straddle the line between rock, alternative, and even metal at times.

I think it could be interesting as well to even survey brick & mortar hi-fi dealers to see what are the typical genres they see customers bringing in for their auditions. When I read reports from the audio shows on websites like Stereophile, sometimes I see writers complain about having to "hear track X for the nth time".

My personal experience at my local dealer was the guy helping me chuckled after my audition because he said "it's not very often now I have auditions with that type of music...it's nice to get some variety" (my audition CD at the time ranged from Smashing Pumpkins to Ben Harper to Megadeth to Elliott Smith to Julia Fischer).

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers