IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

I like the new version of LDS. I rarely stream or use internet radio so some of the recent features are lost on me but I now much prefer browsing my music with this screen:

IMG_0008.jpg

I also love the look of the "now playing" screen that I use with the track list showing as below:

IMG_0006.jpg

My only petty annoyance is an old one - the date format that shows day & month of the release when only the year is required, it defaults to January 1 on everything. It would be cool to see it on the above "now playing" view rather than having to navigate to the previous screen whenever I'm asked what year the album was released. It would also be nice to sort albums by release date under each artist rather than alphabetically - that is a feature in the Lumin app that I really like.

All in all though, I think Auralic has done a good job.

My only petty annoyance is an old one - the date format that shows day & month of the release when only the year is required, it defaults to January 1 on everything.
I've noticed this too, though in my case, I've found it's due to my tagging. MuiscBrainz likes adding a month and day - even if its 1 Jan, FreeDB doesn't. Due to mild OCD, I manually edit the tags (leaving just the year) when I come across it.

For those of us who have playlists.

Credit to Auralic for clearly stating on the App Store that the update to LDS 4.0 would erase any saved playlists. Instead of just updating I sat and thought - primarily about the time it took me to put together those playlists. Unlike other Linux-based apps, LDS is proprietary so it's not easy to go into it and copy the playlist folder to a backup location. A serious shortcoming in my humble opinion. Requests to add a playlist export feature have so far fallen on deaf Auralic ears - here's hoping its on the to-do list.

Here's a (fairly obvious) workaround. Ensure you have two devices with LDS loaded and upgrade one - in this case the iPad - then, using the iDevice with the older app, load the Aries with each playlist in turn and save each to the iPad with the new app before updating the second device with the older app.

Please, Auralic - continue in future to warn when updates will erase playlists. And thanks again for the warning - would have been p1ssed if I'd simply updated and subsequently lost those playlists.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded Auralics Lightning app to 4.0 (iPAD version) and discovered that the lay out is a total new direction. I guess I will need to get used to it....

But I am very unhappy that the Cover Art mosaique is no more available in "Artist mode" as it was before and as it is now available only in "album mode" !.

-> Is there a way to display the cover art mosaique in "artist mode" like before ?

ALBUM mode : biggrin.gif

ARTIST mode : mad.gifmad.gif

thanks in advance

I just upgraded Auralics Lightning app to 4.0 (iPAD version) and discovered that the lay out is a total new direction. I guess I will need to get used to it....

But I am very unhappy that the Cover Art mosaique is no more available in "Artist mode" as it was before and as it is now available only in "album mode" !.

-> Is there a way to display the cover art mosaique in "artist mode" like before ?

ALBUM mode : biggrin.gif

ARTIST mode : mad.gifmad.gif

thanks in advance

Press "All artists" on the top of the artist list

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 2 weeks later...

New TestFlight v4.1 just released. They have added Tidal Masters playback capability and a Masters category!

The Masters files show playing at 24 bit, but sampling frequency seems to max out at 48 kHz.

This all being said, some of the Masters albums sound really good, like Christopher Cross is an improvement over the cd. However Fleetwood Mac Rumors does not have as full of a tone as my SACD rip.

New TestFlight v4.1 just released. They have added Tidal Masters playback capability and a Masters category!

The Masters files show playing at 24 bit, but sampling frequency seems to max out at 48 kHz.

This all being said, some of the Masters albums sound really good, like Christopher Cross is an improvement over the cd. However Fleetwood Mac Rumors does not have as full of a tone as my SACD rip.

I'm also on TestFlight v4.1 but no Master album will appear on my iPad under the new Masters tag when choosing Tidal.

The new left menu says Masters under the Tidal menu....but it contains no albums. ��

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

There is a Japanese audiophile CD for Chris Cross - Sailing C. Is the Tidal Masters version better than that?

I'm also on TestFlight v4.1 but no Master album will appear on my iPad under the new Masters tag when choosing Tidal.

The new left menu says Masters under the Tidal menu....but it contains no albums. ��

I saw on another forum that you may need to reboot your entire system for them to show up.

If that doesn't work, try clearing the Tidal cache, logging out of Tidal, and then back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Tried a full reboot of my system and also clearing the Tidal cache, logged out an back in on my account. Still no albums show up under Masters on DS lightning on my iPad Air 2 and the Aries... :-(

I can play the all the Tidal Masters from my MacBook Pro - usb connect to Chord Mojo in 96/24 bit res. No problem here. Also the Masters saved in my favorites in Tidal on my Mac will play on the Aries in 48/24bit res using the favorite folder in DS.

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Now when we talk about Tidal ...... is there anyone who has problems with dropouts between tracks ( NOT when music's playing )?

And ONLY when using DS software ..... NOT with Tidals own app !

Next track some times just don't start ! :-(

Hope you can help !

I have talked with one of the Auralic guys from US and he told me that they knows the problem !

I really hope that Mr. Wang can fix this problem !

Tried a full reboot of my system and also clearing the Tidal cache, logged out an back in on my account. Still no albums show up under Masters on DS lightning on my iPad Air 2 and the Aries... :-(

I can play the all the Tidal Masters from my MacBook Pro - usb connect to Chord Mojo in 96/24 bit res. No problem here. Also the Masters saved in my favorites in Tidal on my Mac will play on the Aries in 48/24bit res using the favorite folder in DS.

Problemed solved with the new TestFlight DS version 2017012001. The problem with the Masters was related to all of us using Aries/DS with a non-US Tidal account.

Head-fi:

Now when we talk about Tidal ...... is there anyone who has problems with dropouts between tracks ( NOT when music's playing )?

And ONLY when using DS software ..... NOT with Tidals own app !

Next track some times just don't start ! :-(

Hope you can help !

I have talked with one of the Auralic guys from US and he told me that they knows the problem !

I really hope that Mr. Wang can fix this problem !

No one else who have discovered such issue ?

Playback suddenly stops when a track ends and the next in queue don't start. !

It's like the connection between Tidal server and Lightning DS stops !

When i use Tidal's own app there is no problem !

And it's NOT a network problem !

it's really frustrating !

I love Auralic's sound and i'm only waiting for the Polaris, but it would be nice if i could get rid of this issue before i by a Polaris !

Best regards Frank

Problemed solved with the new TestFlight DS version 2017012001. The problem with the Masters was related to all of us using Aries/DS with a non-US Tidal account.
Ok, so you confirmed my suspicion of it being region related as well as using a particular version of the Lightning DS app.

Very interesting that TIDAL provides access to its Masters streams both depending on what software you are connecting with AND the region you are using it in!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 2 weeks later...
LDS 4.1 update available.

[h=1]Version 4.1[/h] [h=1]About This Release:[/h]

• 3rd February 2017

New Features:

• Add TIDAL Master catagory
  • Add more sorting options for TIDAL Favorite section
  • Add Group Bit-Perfect option for zone play

Fixes:

• Unable to use manual IP setting for hidden WiFi network
  • Unable to initialize Music Library when home network is not stable

Improvements:

• No longer show file sampling rate in Album detail interface for when use Lightning Server, due to error data source.
  • Other interface related improvements

I'm using Roon for a number of reasons, not least that I can control all my different hardware from the one single app, including being able to group disparate pieces.

Having said that, Auralic are making very good progress with the Lightning DS app - the current version seems better than any other free app I've used, and I'd be pretty happy with it if I was using it. I'm looking forward to seeing what their new high end Aries is like.

I am trying to copy a playlist from the Lightning app on my iPhone to my iPad....I remember doing it somehow a few weeks ago but I cant figure it out again..

Something to do with creating a list of songs to play from the playlist on the one device and then copying all the tracks into a playlist on the other device

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8