IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Seems they still have not addressed Artists sorting, with "The", "A", etc. in the beginning of the name. Very annoying having to go to the "T" section to find them.

I emailed the suggestion to have LDS address this issue with the response "...planned for future..." Maybe if everyone complained they would react?

Guys,

Clarification please. If I use the Aries and go to Masters and stream a MQA file does the Aries deliver a 24/48 stream to the DAC or is it 16/44.1?

The Aries Mini passes through the folded MQA stream intact as 24/48 (or 44.1 as the case may be). Make sure you're not using SW volume control though - not sure if that messes it up.

It works for me. I would assume it should work similarly on the Aries Femto/LE/Altair etc.

Seems they still have not addressed Artists sorting, with "The", "A", etc. in the beginning of the name. Very annoying having to go to the "T" section to find them.

I emailed the suggestion to have LDS address this issue with the response "...planned for future..." Maybe if everyone complained they would react?

I've brought it up in this and also the audirvana thread. Nothing but crickets. Guess I should go back to iTunes since it gets it correct....

One thing that I encountered in a similar vein is that for common album titles, it would lump artists together - for example Greatest Hits would aggregate the tracks from 9 different artists Greatest Hits albums, but only one Greatist Hits album would show up under a single artist and nothing showed for the other 8.

I was told that this was to do with my metadata, but none of the other control apps that I have used behaved this way and all managed to allocate the albums to the correct artist. Did anyone else find similar?

One thing that I encountered in a similar vein is that for common album titles, it would lump artists together - for example Greatest Hits would aggregate the tracks from 9 different artists Greatest Hits albums, but only one Greatist Hits album would show up under a single artist and nothing showed for the other 8.

I was told that this was to do with my metadata, but none of the other control apps that I have used behaved this way and all managed to allocate the albums to the correct artist. Did anyone else find similar?

I believe your answer does light in the meta-data. If you put the album artist in the "album artist" field it may sort correctly for you. This is a different field than simply "artist".

Lighting DS takes up 5.6 GB on my iPad and 3.4 GB on my iPhone... Same library and same Tidal account... Anyone any Idea why the difference and how to solve this?

It also happened in my ipad version. I received several times " no storage area" warning from ipad and then it automatically started to delete the storage area of lightning ds. Then it dropped from 5 gb to 2 gb. I couldnt figure out what was deleted exactly but the system reloaded the album covers slowly when i entered the music library again.

Lighting DS takes up 5.6 GB on my iPad and 3.4 GB on my iPhone... Same library and same Tidal account... Anyone any Idea why the difference and how to solve this?

I don't know if this will help (since I never received a warning message), but when I found the size of the Lightning DS app on my iPad got really large, I deleted the app and reinstalled and it and the sized dropped to about 800 megabytes with no loss of any information I needed.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone can I ask for some help

I have been using my Aries for over a year now and have seen the DS app get better and better.  I have also run a Sonos system for background music around the house so when the Aries Mini came on special I decided it was time to start replacing some of my Sonos zones

I got my first Aries Mini and connected it to my network and run the setup, the first thing I noticed is that I lost all my favourite songs out of the collection list that I had bookmarked with my main Aries..... Not impressed 

all of the music I play is on my Synology NAS and both of the devices are setup with the Lightning Server so I would like to ask a few questions

1. Both the Aries and the mini seem to run independently if I use my IPad and IPhone what I do on one is not shown on the othe like playlists and favourites is this true ?

2.  If I set up the Mini to use the music library setup I used for the Aries then when the Aries is asleep or off then I cannot play music on the Mini as it says that the music is off line

3.  I can't' for the life of me figure how to save playlists to the Collection setting

I can save normal playlists but not on the collection setting where you have the favourites for Artists, Albums, ect.

so I guess what I'm sort of saying is that it seems I can't run an Auralic system like I was running my Sonos for an all of house music because if my wife comes home and wants to play a playlist that I have created then it's just not on her phone or she has to turn on the main Aries to get music playing

I hope all this makes sense, I do like the Lightning DS app when I'm using my Aries on my main HiFi but it seems to fall apart when you have other devices around your home, is this true or am I missing something 

thanks in advance 

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Lightning DS uses 5,8 Gb on my iPad. Isn't that a bit...  exaggerated?

I love the interface and usability of Lightning DS so I don't want to demotivate or insult the programmers.

But, I agree that in terms of code optimization and such, Lightning DS doesn't deserve a prize. Memory use is very high and battery drain severe.

For this reason I sometimes (for longer listening sessions) divert to the Lumin app, which works perfectly with the Aries in combination with a Minimserver music database. No battery drain, much more efficient memory use and much faster response, especially when starting the app. It responds almost immediately where lightning takes forever to start up. And, it allows to sort albums on date added, which Lightning doesn't do (that option is greyed out for me).

But, admittedly, the user interface of Lumin comes nowhere near Lightning DS!

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2017 at 11:24 PM, Jay Tee said:

I don't know if this will help (since I never received a warning message), but when I found the size of the Lightning DS app on my iPad got really large, I deleted the app and reinstalled and it and the sized dropped to about 800 megabytes with no loss of any information I needed.

I was getting the same alert: no storage space.

Then I just removed both Lightning DS and Lumin apps from my Ipad and instaled them again.

Reinstaled my NAS (with 3 Gb of music) and then I cleared the cache of the Tidal connection - inside the LDS app.

From 9,6 Gb it now shows only 2,8 Gg used on the Ipad!

Let's see if it stays like this for the next days...

Note: I had to unistall the LDS before I could install the Lumin, because the Lumin was crashing during install. After removing the LDS all went well.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I noticed sometime ago that the lightning ds app didn't display all Qobuz titles. For example Anouar Brahem albums shows up in Qobuz app and not in lightning ds. I e-mailed Auralic and they said taht they wi look into it. Today I found another example so it's no incident. See the pictures.

Anybody found this too?

IMG_0030.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 5:17 AM, speavler said:

I've brought it up in this and also the audirvana thread. Nothing but crickets. Guess I should go back to iTunes since it gets it correct....

All my "The" albums are named "Artist, The" ( Roling Stones, The ) ..... no problems here .... thats the way to do it ! ;-)