IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Yes ... Oh, also a couple of W4S Remedy Reclockers and an Auralic Gemini 2000 Dac / Headphone Amp ... So 4 items in total (they are not clear from the photo as I was focusing on the Aries). I could get rid of a couple of layers, specifically the extra layers of Townshend Seismic pods ... But I have just been experimenting if adding extra layers would achieve further improvement (they don't).

My mini: Photo 6 of 10 from Ongaku

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

you definitely belong to the *rigid* decoupling school :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I do not know for sure why it sounds different (better IMO but might be worse to someone else). All I know is that BubbleDS Next is a light weight control point focused on music only (but do have some additional sound related features as well). It was recently updated with a smaller foot print and sounded better to me than before.
Interesting. How does the sound compare when using BubbleDS Next developer's (BubbleSoft/Bubbleguuum) other Android control point app, BubbleUPnP?

Also, where are you streaming the audio files from and with what UPnP/DLNA media server, in your comparisons?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Interesting. How does the sound compare when using BubbleDS Next developer's (BubbleSoft/Bubbleguuum) other Android control point app, BubbleUPnP?

Also, where are you streaming the audio files from and with what UPnP/DLNA media server, in your comparisons?

I have not tried BubbleUPnP with Aries Mini yet...but knowing that BubbleDS Next is made in the purpose of being an audio control point only makes me less eager to try it out....but I will eventually ofcourse. I did try BubbleUPnP on my Windows 10 computer....but could´nt actually compare appple to apple since I was using Foobar2000>Bubbleguuum upnp>Jplay driver>etc and BubbleDS Next directly through JplayStreamer (OpenHome) etc. BubbleDS Next sounded better in comparison...but that could have been due to the differences in the setup.

As I meansioned in my first post the sound differences are made using Tidal as source. It is connected through OpenHome>Aries>Cloud>Tidal and not through UPnP/DNLA.

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is the news on the latest version 2.3 of BubbleDS Next if anyone is interested:

- app installed size is reduced by 40%, APK size by 30%

- first app run does not require the 'Please wait until initial setup completes' step anymore

- better compatibility with Android N

- support automatic backup of settings

- a TIDAL artist's Radio folder is limited to 100 tracks. Entering such radio folder always populate it with new tracks

- fixed track numbers in Qobuz multidisc albums

- fixed 4x4 widget not available on some phones

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Where can I download this BubbleDS control app for my Samsung phone? I can't seem to find it.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

you definitely belong to the *rigid* decoupling school :P

Trudat.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

That looks really great. Blends in very well with your SolidTech Rack of Silence Rack.

I admire the SolidTech rack, wish I had gone for something like that years ago rather

than buying glass & steel racks (have a couple of Schroers & Schroers racks).

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

That looks really great. Blends in very well with your SolidTech Rack of Silence Rack.

I admire the SolidTech rack, wish I had gone for something like that years ago rather

than buying glass & steel racks (have a couple of Schroers & Schroers racks).

John

I've filled the solidtech's legs with sand. No blind testing.

system pics

For the first time since I have had it, I tried the Aries with ethernet as opposed to 802.11ac wi fi. I was surprised that wi fi sounded better - smoother, more open, less edgy. I was using just run of the mill Cat 5 patch cable, run directly from the router. The lengths were 2m each, patched to 4m via a connector as I didn't have a 4m cable. I don't know if this caused signal degradation or noise.

If I replace the Cat 5 with a BJC Cat 6a, will I get sonic improvements? If so would someone be so kind as to explain if this is due to the higher data transmission speed the Cat 6a is capable of? I understand from another poster here that the Cat 5 cable has ample bandwidth for sound - 16/44.1 is 1.14Mbps and hi-res is no more than 10Mbps.

I did this initially to accomodate getting a microRendu for comparison. At the same time I also got a Curious Regen Link to go from a W4S RUR, replacing the generic USB. The results were pretty good overall, with the wi fi and firmware Beta 4.04 so much so that I don't have as strong an inclination to try the microRendu as before as it only runs off ethernet.

For the first time since I have had it, I tried the Aries with ethernet as opposed to 802.11ac wi fi. I was surprised that wi fi sounded better - smoother, more open, less edgy. I was using just run of the mill Cat 5 patch cable, run directly from the router. The lengths were 2m each, patched to 4m via a connector as I didn't have a 4m cable. I don't know if this caused signal degradation or noise.

If I replace the Cat 5 with a BJC Cat 6a, will I get sonic improvements? If so would someone be so kind as to explain if this is due to the higher data transmission speed the Cat 6a is capable of? I understand from another poster here that the Cat 5 cable has ample bandwidth for sound - 16/44.1 is 1.14Mbps and hi-res is no more than 10Mbps.

I did this initially to accomodate getting a microRendu for comparison. At the same time I also got a Curious Regen Link to go from a W4S RUR, replacing the generic USB. The results were pretty good overall, with the wi fi and firmware Beta 4.04 so much so that I don't have as strong an inclination to try the microRendu as before as it only runs off ethernet.

Wifi sounds good with the Aries (better than ethernet from the router), but optically-isolated ethernet sounds best imho.

Wifi sounds good with the Aries (better than ethernet from the router), but optically-isolated ethernet sounds best imho.

+1

I found wired Ethernet to be on par with wireless. Optically-isolated ethernet eliminated hardness and also brought a tighter focus. Highly recommended with the Aries.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The latest "must have" fad. Galvanic isolation 'may' give a perceived improvement in certain circumstances and equipment configurations.

Galvanic isolation is far from a fad, it had been sought since using USB wholesale. There needed to be a ground loop break for USB , galvanic isolation is the best way. FO can achieve the same ground loop break but of course is not USB protocols. The other issue with FO is the power supplies that drive the FO converters. This never stops does it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Galvanic isolation is far from a fad, it had been sought since using USB wholesale. There needed to be a ground loop break for USB , galvanic isolation is the best way. FO can achieve the same ground loop break but of course is not USB protocols. The other issue with FO is the power supplies that drive the FO converters. This never stops does it.

Doesnt Ethernet cabling (regular cat ) already have galvanic isolation ?

Doesnt Ethernet cabling (regular cat ) already have galvanic isolation ?
Yes, but via transformers, not optically - therefore, if two (or more) devices share a common ground (highly likely) the 'galvanic isolation' is compromised and all bets are off.

Looking for some guidance to get my Mac Mini out of my listening area and leverage Aries and Roon.

Question: In my office I would like to connect my Mac Mini via ethernet to my Netgear Nighthawk router and also connect a USB drive to the router. Keeping the Mini around to rip discs to storage. Would the Aries in another room "see" the storage on my network, as well as the Roon core that I would run on the Mini?

Thanks!