IGNORED

Twisted wires and interconnects: Which sounds better?

Which gives the most liquid sound and deepest sound-stage and lifts veils and stuff?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well?

That would depend to a large extent on whether your local environment was in a big city, or a much more electrically quiet neighbourhood without powerful nearby radio, TV and radar transmitters, as well as perhaps even LED lighting using poorly designed controllers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Sorry, I could not vote in your poll. The reason is quantum spin non-locality would dictate which twist. As qualified EE's and others indicate such things function very, very differently in Australia, there really could be no answer. Something to do with Heisenberg's audible non-audibility principle in regards to quantum level effects. :(

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Sorry, I could not vote in your poll. The reason is quantum spin non-locality would dictate which twist. As qualified EE's and others indicate such things function very, very differently in Australia,

As does the rotation of water going down a wash basin.

My initial reply was based on the title of the thread immediately BEFORE this typical nonsensical poll from the master of nonsensical polls appeared.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

As does the rotation of water going down a wash basin.

My initial reply was based on the title of the thread immediately BEFORE this typical nonsensical poll from the master of nonsensical polls appeared.

It appears that water rotates in the same direction everywhere:

snopes.com: Coriolis Force Effect on Drains

So perhaps bits are bits in Oz as well.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

It appears that water rotates in the same direction everywhere:

snopes.com: Coriolis Force Effect on Drains

So perhaps bits are bits in Oz as well.

Perhaps you would like to edit the Wikipedia entry then ?

Coriolis effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This force causes moving objects on the surface of the Earth to be deflected in a clockwise sense (with respect to the direction of travel) in the Northern Hemisphere and in a counter-clockwise sense in the Southern Hemisphere.

Perhaps it's different in the land where they like their beer warm and the pigeons fly upside down ?

Perhaps you would like to edit the Wikipedia entry then ?

Coriolis effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps it's different in the land where they like their beer warm and the pigeons fly upside down ?

The Wikipedia entry seems to already match the link I posted:

"Contrary to popular misconception, water rotation in home bathrooms under normal circumstances is not related to the Coriolis effect or to the rotation of the earth, and no consistent difference in rotation direction between toilets in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres can be observed."

Don't know anything about warm beer or pigeons flying upside down.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I didn't say anything about toilets. I said wash basins. The same applies to baths.

I can't repeat here the joke about why pigeons fly upside down in the U.K.

I voted that two files with identical checksums can sound different, as there were no constraints on whether the system each was being played on was the same or different, nor whether the locale needed to be held constant; so obviously with some changes to either or both of those the files could sound quite different.

I didn’t vote becuase it depends where you live orthodromic distance to the Equator Line (also North or South) and of course moon phase

Because I’m very close to the Equator Line I only need two sets of cables, one for the waning crescent an other for full moon. If not, you will get in phase problems.

The same with Bonsai trees.

We don’t have water turbulence and/or rotation here in Aquinostan because there is no bathrooms, just a hole in the soil.

Roch

I didn’t vote becuase it depends where you live orthodromic distance to the Equator Line (also North or South) and of course moon phase

Because I’m very close to the Equator Line I only need two sets of cables, one for the waning crescent an other for full moon. If not, you will get in phase problems.

The same with Bonsai trees.

We don’t have water turbulence and/or rotation here in Aquinostan because there is no bathrooms, just a hole in the soil.

Roch

If you were to space the 2 wires as parallel with air or minimal dielecric between them, the following equation will give you the correct spacing: cube root of (pi x median frequency in the range you are transmitting) divided by your distance from the equator (in km). I believe this will work at times when the moon is not more than 70% full or 29% new. Also, it's best if you can lightly coat the un-insulated wires with llama fat (female, after giving birth, only!)

Too bad nobody here is being serious. If you asked audio cable manufacturers you find they indeed all have twist preferences--direction, TPI, dielectric thickness for spacing, etc.

And no, it does not matter for northern versus southern hemisphere. We once sent four sets of cables to an Australian dealer (two left-hand, two right-hand, maked with random secret-key letters) and they came back with preference for the same two we preferred up here. In a sensitive system it does make a difference. But there is no telling that to people who don't believe wire construction makes any difference in the first place.

What's funny is that all the industrial, aerospace, medical, and IT wire makers (those who actually extrude and put up the wire for all the audio brands) routinely deal with far more arcane and bizarre nuances in specs and materials than anything we audio cable makers throw at them. Admittedly, a lot of the parameters for complex wire put ups (10Gbps Cat6a anyone?) have an impact mainly at frequencies orders of magnitude above the audio band. But inductance, capacitance, dielectric effects, shielding, etc.--even those at very high frequency--can and do have an impact on final sonic signature when a 10 foot cable is inserted into a real circuit to interact with equipment.

I picked "All right-hand helical twist". I run Kimber 4PR and I assume it's braided because it unshielded cable and like someone mentioned it cuts down on the interference. When it's not picking up hum from my amps (poor routing) the sound is more liquid and the veil lifts.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

This is why Tom Lehrer gave up parody.

(I mean, except for the Henry Kissinger part.)

He did?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That would depend to a large extent on whether your local environment was in a big city, or a much more electrically quiet neighbourhood without powerful nearby radio, TV and radar transmitters, as well as perhaps even LED lighting using poorly designed controllers.

You astutely surmised the reason for the poll. wgscott spent $260 on LED lighting with a poorly designed controller:

Hue lights - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

You astutely surmised the reason for the poll. wgscott spent $260 on LED lighting with a poorly designed controller:

Hue lights - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

I can assure you that I didn't get that from reading any of his blogs either !

Twisted.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.